cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

monday1313
Journeyman III

Why isn't RPR available when using command line as root user?

I'm trying to run a command line render as root user using sudo -i to log in so I can have the computer shutdown after the render is done. The terminal responds with this while trying to render:

Error: Engine 'RPR' not available for scene 'from frame 90cylinder' (an add-on may need to be installed or enabled)

I'm on Mac OS 10.15.2 - I've tried blender 2.82 with RPR 2.3.4 and also tried with 2.4.11.

When I just open a terminal window and render without going to the root, it works fine. But when it's done rendering I have to enter a password for it to run the sudo shutdown command, which defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I don't have this problem with cycles though...

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
3 Replies
bsavery
Staff

Hi there.  When you install any addon to blender it usually puts it in the user directory which obviously root would not have. 

The solution here would be to copy the addon folder from /Users/INSTALLED_USER/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.82/scripts/addons/ to /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.82/scripts/addons

0 Likes
monday1313
Journeyman III

Thanks for that, unfortunately, that did not work. I even made sure to update the path to the scripts folder in Blender's preferences and restarted (blender and the computer). I also tried directing the file path to the scripts folder in the root directory and the user directory, no luck either way.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hmmm that's a bit weird.  The other idea is you can run blender as root and install the plugin with that open (using the latest plugin which is just a zip file addon.)

0 Likes