cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

Prorender does not work with recent 2.8 builds

Hi, I've found an issue with the 4 Apr 2019 build of AMD Prorender with the current Blender 2.8 beta builds after 16 May 2019.

This change has been made to the Blender API, breaking Prorender (and potentially other renderers):

https://developer.blender.org/rB2ee762344f8742618804e869536e3efee6ab0bd0#change-SGUusqczrUIQ

With the stock Prorender when trying to use a very recent Blender 2.8 build and enabling the addon I'm getting this traceback:

File "/Applications/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.80/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py", line 384, in enable mod.register()
File "/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.80/scripts/addons/rprblender/__init__.py", line 111, in register() bpy.utils.register_class(RPREngine)
ValueError: expected RenderEngine, RPREngine class "view_update" function to have 3 args, found 2

I've traced it down to that change, linked above; Blender added the view_update and view_draw methods to take a depsgraph object in addition to a context object.

Tonight when I get home from work I'm going to poke around with the python portion of my installation, to see if I can get it working; but I think that adding the argument for depsgraph to these functions and adding the called functions to take that depsgraph object and use it instead of the context object will get it working again.  I'll update this post with my progress.

58 Replies

So far, eveything seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, however, I can now confirm that Denoising doesn't seem to work at all:

• When choosing one of the algorithms "Edge Avoiding Wavelets", "Local Weighted Regression" or "Machine Learning" the render doesn't even start (stops after "syncing instances") and the rendered image stays empty.
  • When choosing "Bilateral", the render hangs while "syncing instances" and Blender has to be force quit.
0 Likes

I have just started to look at Radeon ProRender on Blender 2.80.

Downloaded from here: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-prorender-downloads 

i7-4790K / Asus  Z97 Deluxe PC windows 10 Pro 64 bit with:
2 R9 Fury X
1 R9 Nano.
1 R9 390X

1 R9 280X

pastedImage_1.png

Here is the result of rendering the basic cube using the above settings (all GPUs, Tiled Rendering).

pastedImage_2.png

If I turn off tiled rendering:

pastedImage_3.png

R9 280x Activity spike during render with Tiled off:

pastedImage_5.png

0 Likes

Second spike is R9 280x activitiy with Tiled Rendering on.

pastedImage_1.png

Render resuult from the above:

pastedImage_2.png

If I just run Tiled Rendering with R9 FuryX, R9 Nano, R9 390X the Tiled rendering result looks o.k.
If I run any combination of R9 Fury X or R9 Nano or R9 390x + the R9 280x then Tiled Rendering is broken.

If I just run a single:
R9 FuryX
or

R9 Nano

or

R9 390X

or
R9 280X

I see this result with Tiled Rendering switched on:

pastedImage_3.png
pastedImage_4.png

It seems there is a bug in Tiled Rendering if mix GCN1.0 R9 280X with higher GCN version R9 390X or R9 FuryX/Nano.

0 Likes

GPU Rendering is not working at  all Tiled/ Non Tiled / any conbination of the above GPU on one of my Blender files that works fine in Cycles.
Blender Render window shows up, no GPU activity, CPU activity normal.

I will try CPU rendering next using the Radeon ProRender plugin.

0 Likes

CPU Rendering "runs":

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Tiled Rendering off and 8 i7-4790K Threads active in the above image:

0 Likes

CPU Render: Tiled Rendering on and 8  i7-4790K Threads active. Tile Size 384x216:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

After running CPU renders I now try render on Single R9 Fury X GPU with CPU rendering off and... it now runs with Tiled Rendering off!

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here is the ssame scene with smoke effect added. Tiled Rendering  on, Single R9 Fury X.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Tiled Rendering on. R9 FuryX, R9FuryX, R9 Nano, R9 390x, R9280x - it just sits and does not respond.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Single R9 280x Tiled Rendering off:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Single R9 280x Tiled Render on.
pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.png

0 Likes

Single R9 280x Tiled Render off:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Single R9 390x Tiled rendering off:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Single R9 390x Tiled rendering off - Rennder completed:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

2 R9 Fury X and 1 R9 Nano, Tiled Rendering off:
pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

2 R9 Fury X and 1 R9 Nano, and R9 390X Tiled Rendering on: - It just hangs:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

2 R9 Fury X + 1 R9 Nano Tiled Rendering on:

pastedImage_1.png

No more time to test.
Seems like there is a problem with Radeon ProRender and MultiGPU Rendering if I mix R9 280x, R9 390x, 2 R9 FuryX, R9 Nano. on nmy test case.
3 Fiji GPUs will render o.k. together.
Single R9 390x renders o.k.
Single R9 280x renders o.k.
How do I report this and is there any point in reporting it? Would AMD even bother to fix it?

Note Blender Cycles allows me to run nthe following GPUs together no problemn on the same test case:
3 Fiji GPUs (2 R9 Fury X and singgle R9 Nano) and R9 390x = 4 GPU in total.
The R9 280X is not supported in Blender since version 2.798b because of OpenCL driver problems that AMD will not fix.

0 Likes

Correction - the R9 280X is not supported in Blender Cycles since version 2.78c because of OpenCL driver problems that AMD will not fix

0 Likes