Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

blenby
Adept I

macOS - Blender crash on with GPU and CPU checked

2010 MacPro Tower - 32GB RAM, macOS 13.13.3, AMD RX580

Blender 2.8 (July 4) with Todays download of ProRender from main page

Open blender, add cube, add cycles material, switch to ProRender. - .blend file attached

1 Render with both CPU and GPU checked = crash and quit

2 Render with only CPU checked = crash and quit

3 Render with only GPU check works - see attached image

Note 1 - Unable to create a ProRender material when 1 and 2 are true, however I can create one when 3 is true.

When the "add material" button is pressed Blender crashes and quits.

0 Likes
11 Replies
david_s
Miniboss

Hi,

Please try Blender 2.8 beta builds. CPU+GPU, or CPU did not crash for me on build 2.0.94.
Build location: https://community.amd.com/thread/240919

0 Likes

Hi,

Just tried it on the Blender build for 8th July. It now lasts around 3 seconds and then crashed and quits blender.

Something interesting though - I restarted blender and hit render without adding an object and it did not crash. The scene only had a camera and light, nothing else. I then added a cube, hit render and it crashed after 3 seconds.

I do have the ProRender Crash Reports but I do not seem to be able to attach them here.

0 Likes
blenby
Adept I

Something of interest.

I have a suspicion the problem may be my graphics car running on 10.13.3. My card is an AMD RX580 and is only "just" compatible with the operating system. I am going to upgrade to Mojave and install an "apple suggest" card that will be fully compatible with that OS and a lot more stable. See how we go, it may not be a ProRender problem.

0 Likes

Hi,

This could be possible. I'm currently not able to reproduce this crash at all, but I'm going to send this information to developers.

Could you provide traces in a zip file?

Steps to do this:
1. In the render settings, go to Debug.
2. Enable Trace Dump.
3. Render the scene. After it crashes, close Blender and zip the provided trace files.

0 Likes

Hi there,

Still having problems with both cpu and gpu boxes ticked. Here is an zip file of the trace dump, see what the devs think.

Kind regards

Eric

0 Likes

CPU + GPU is broken. Just use GPU. It'll work fine then.

There is currently no benefit in adding CPU to a GPU render until they fix the tiling and multi device issues.

0 Likes

Yea, I had resorted to just using the GPU and it works fine - thanks for the heads up. Nothing like testing beta software on beta software

Hi David

the issues seems to remain also in macOS Catalina with a RX 5700 XT in a macPro 2010 too.

GPU works well - CPU crashes.

Here is the trace dump:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yb2T5FAiPE8nD2oJaZryaVmV2C-uP4Ry 

0 Likes

Your AMD RX 580 is definitely THE MOST compatible GPU on macOS out of them all because it is the one Apple chose to use as their Developer eGPU Test GPU. I have the Apple Developer eGPU (which is just a Sonnet box with an RX 580 8GB inside it) and I can confirm that in RPR in Mojave 10.14.5 it is working perfectly, unlike any of the VEGA GPUs on macOS at the moment. They will be fixed with macOS 10.14.6 though.

Stick with the RX 580 and upgrade to Mojave, it'll work fine then.

Wait for 10.14.6 for using any VEGA or get 10.14.4 which also worked fine. It's just 10.14.5 that is broken with VEGA.

0 Likes

Hi

I Have iMac:

Model: iMac19,1, BootROM 1037.80.34.0.0, 8 processors, 8-Core Intel Core i9, 3.6 GHz, 32 GB, SMC 2.46f12

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 48.

Blender 2.81a crashes all the time with ProRender even with just GPu selected.

Any ideas? hope you can help.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Likes

I'm not sure about the Bootrom bit.  What version of the RPR plugin do you have and which OS version?

0 Likes