cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

HDFX
Adept II

In 2021,Why AMD GPU Still Sucks On Cycles?!

_20210226_135454.JPG

I feel so tired of having this problem.I am using AMD RX570, any version of Blender always has problems with Cycles Render.

I have tried various versions of the adrenaline driver too, but the problem hasn't gone away.

Why does AMD GPU always error when using cycles? Sometimes it succeeds in rendering in the viewport, but fails when rendering.

In fact, it often fails to render, whether it's viewport rendering and final rendering.

Until an error message appears as below :.

Split kernel error: failed to load_kernel_indirect_background

And I have to wait a long time for the viewport render to work. Even then, it often fails and the message above and other error messages appears, black screen and flickering sometimes BSOD.

I plan to switch to radeon prorender, but there are many problems / features that are not yet available. This condition is really troublesome. Forward wrong, backward wrong too.

Even though AMD has become a funder to Blender, why hasn't this problem been resolved ?!

I need a solution so that Cycles can run smoothly on my RX570 graphics card.may be all of you guys who already have or facing same issues and can share any tips or solution. So i hope usefull for other AMD GPU users that facing this issues.

Please please pleaseeeee.. really need help.

Thanks in advanced

FYI, i used Windows 10 x64, Blender2.90-2.92, Core i5 4th, Ram 8gb, GPU AMD RX570.

12 Replies
PerryTC
Adept I

I could help you with some issues, I had the same problem, but now blender works 80-90% well. I still have some stupid bugs, if you want help contact me on discord: CezaR#6879

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I don't have a Discord account.

If you don't mind, you can write it in the reply column and it can be read by all AMD GPU users who are experiencing the same problem.

I thank you if you don't mind writing a solution here.

0 Likes

I also posted this on the blender forum. @HDFX 

Now with Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 driver 80-90% of the bugs has been fixed!
I tested the new driver with an Rx 470 4GB and it worked really well.
How to install it:
-Search on internet "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 driver" and download it.
-Until you install the new driver you have to download AMD Cleanup Utility (You have to delete all the files from current driver)
-Run AMD Cleanup Utility and delete your current driver.
-Install your new 21.2.2 Driver and restart your PC.
-Go in C:\Users\YOURUSERACCOUNT\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender
-Select your Blender Version ( 2.81 / 2.90 / 2.91) > cache > DELETE kernels folder

-Open Blender > Edit >Preferences > System > SELECT Open CL
-Go in Render and activate Cycles for GPU Compute
-Now your Blender will freeze until the kernels are loaded.
-Now press F12 to run a Render, your Blender will freeze again until the kernels are loaded.

So, that's it, maybe the kernels will load again sometimes, but will be faster.

This version of the driver still doesn't fix my problem.

I still face those messages. AMD gpu still suck for blender.

I do not think AMD put in enough support for Blender or OpenCL GPU Compute. 

It is ridiculous especially since their new GPUs cost just as much as Nvidia cards.

@colesdav  They have their own rendering engine. Why would it improve others? I think that's the reason.

I will no longer buy AMD for reason.

If you mean Radeon ProRender as an alternative to Cycles... good luck with that. 
Nvidia won the GPU war. 
Their RTX3000 series are hampered by bad process technology in comparison to AMD. 
It is a blip.

0 Likes

@colesdav I didn't say that AMD Pro Render is good, if I could I would trade my video card with an Nvidia one anytime.

Most of the time I use Cycles for my projects and I am totally frustrated with the limitations of the AMD FPUS, I can't even use volumes in viewport [...]

bigmic69
Journeyman III

I think I might have found a so-called hack to get the 'Indirect_Background' one to work. 

1. Start with initial default cube. Mainly so that Blender will recover faster.
  2. Add a HDRI (don't really know if you have to).
  3. Switch from 'Solid' view to 'Mat Preview' then switch to 'Render' view (read final paragraph).
  4. Hit F10 while still in 'Viewport' (may not have to do this).
  5. Go to Render tab and watch the magic happen (hopefully).

I don't think I've forgotten anything. You can then open another file and everything should still work. 

I did forget something. In step #3 I think it does start to hang, but I immediately switched back to 'Mat View' and waited for it to clear its self up. I then switched back to 'Render' view. And sorry for not having it more well defined, it just happened out of the blue and I just had to share.

0 Likes

Blender is aware of this problem. And the map changed to the fore, after Blender launched Cycles X for Blender version 3.

And even though AMD has joined as a donor at Blender, for some reason they reference the GPU on the x cycles event, they still reference the Nvidia GPU.

And Blender wants to invite Intel & AMD to adjust this change, because OpenCL support has been removed in these x cycles.

Blender Cycles X 

This is a significant development of cycles, but if AMD doesn't keep up and adapt to these changes, AMD GPU users will continue to suffer and move to Nvidia.

0 Likes

***UPDATED VERSION***

Posted this in an AMD forum Users Post:

Re: In 2021,Why AMD GPU Still Sucks On Cycles?!

I think I might have found a so-called hack to get the 'Indirect_Background' one to work. 

1. Start with initial default cube. Mainly so that Blender will recover faster.
2. Add a HDRI (don't really know if you have to).
3. Switch from 'Solid' view to 'Mat Preview' then switch to 'Render' view. Now I think it does start to hang, but immediately switch back to 'Mat View' and wait for it to clear its self up. Then switch back to 'Render' view.
4. Hit F10 while still in 'Viewport' (may not have to do this, but was in 'Mat Preview').
5. Go to Render tab and watch the magic happen (hopefully).

I don't think I've forgotten anything. You can then open another file and everything should still work. Even on start up.

*** Updated to Adrenaline 21.4.1, repeated what's above and it still works ***

brave_M8qhGxVPaX.png

Admin: You can delete the 1st version of my post/reply. I couldn't edit or delete it.

0 Likes
Sandr1984
Journeyman III

And it will get worse,because Blender will remove on the next update the OpenCL option,witch means AND users likes us might not even work,mine keeps crashing constantly when using render in blender,the same error amd gpu timeout,is so so annoying,I'll change to NVIDIA when i can,i had enough of AMD crashing,and is also Blender's fault,since is only 100% compatible with NVIDIA with extra functions:CUDA,OPTIX etc...

0 Likes