cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

Stinorhino
Journeyman III

Environment texture bleeds through leave textures alpha

Hi all, I've been using prorender for a while now and mostly I love it, the render times are a lot faster then cycles for me, especially on Ubuntu. However I recently wanted to do some archviz projects and in cycles I always rendered a single tree with alpha so I can instance that as a plane to have some forest outside without increasing render times (since its not really in focus usually anyways). In prorender however the environment texture "bleeds" through the leave texture (see left image, background is black because png was too big to upload) even though "film - transparent" is turned on. I tried messing around with the texture to make it completely in the RPR Uber shader but even using the same alpha mask as the transparency the problem remained. I tried setting all the rays maximums to 50, changing the ray epsilon and I'm kinda stumped. Nothing I do seems to change it. I've tried the 3.3.0 release and the 3.3.15 release, issue is in both. I am circumventing it now by adding a full rough diffuse black plane behind the tree and using compositing to mask it out (right image). It works but it's kinda hacky.

Here you can see the yellow of the HDRi bleeding throughHere you can see the yellow of the HDRi bleeding throughHere I made a black plane behind the tree and used compositing to make the PNG background transparent, works buit kinda hackyHere I made a black plane behind the tree and used compositing to make the PNG background transparent, works buit kinda hacky

I'd like to just use the materials that come with my models I already have, but if someone has a good leaf texture that doesn't have this issue I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Stino

1 Solution
arozghon
Challenger

Hi, @Stinorhino 

thank you for your feedback

Pro Render has another interesting hack, you just can use the background override option

arozghon_0-1642499663418.png

hope, an issue with alpha will be fixed in the future RPR update

Thank you

View solution in original post

2 Replies
arozghon
Challenger

Hi, @Stinorhino 

thank you for your feedback

Pro Render has another interesting hack, you just can use the background override option

arozghon_0-1642499663418.png

hope, an issue with alpha will be fixed in the future RPR update

Thank you

I completely forgot about that even though I use it in the render I did before this one, that does save me a lot of fiddling with compositing 🙂.

And yeah I love all the progress that's been made already, especially for hair and volumes though there are some things that still don't have any support or just work... Interestingly. Thanks for reminding me about the overrides though!