cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battle Stations

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

World of Tanks build

Since the World of Tanks (WOT) and World of Tanks - Blitz games are my favorite ones, I decided to build a WOT computer last month.  Being my second AM5 build, I tried a few new things, like the Corsair Link RGB fans.  These connect directly to each other and then to a controller hub, reducing the number of wires hanging behind your motherboard.  I also installed a Thermalright AM5 frame, which replaces the locking mechanism that comes installed over the socket on the motherboard.  All this worked well and I had no issues getting this computer up and running.

The parts that went into this build are as follows: Thermaltake 'The Core' P6 TG black mid-tower case, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk AM5 motherboard, Corsair iCUE Link H150i LCD AIO cooler, Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB fans, Be Quiet! 1200 Watt Straight Power PSU, AMD Ryzen 7 7700X CPU, AMD RX 7900 XT video card, G. Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB DDR5 6000 memory, Glotrends PCIe 4.0 X 16 riser cable for the vertically mounted video card, Crucial T500 1 TB Gen 4 M.2 drive, Western Digital Black 2 TB SN850X Gen 4 M.2 drive, Sceptre 34-inch curved ultrawide WQHD monitor (3440 x 1440), the Thermalright ASF-RED AM5 CPU holder (frame), a World of Tanks mousepad with a Tiger II on it, and Microsoft Windows 11 Home edition.

I like placing computers on top of LED mouse mats.I like placing computers on top of LED mouse mats.

Notice that rather large WOT mouse mat with a Tiger II tank?  I ordered it from the World of Tanks online store.Notice that rather large WOT mouse mat with a Tiger II tank? I ordered it from the World of Tanks online store.

A better picture of the WOT mouse mat.A better picture of the WOT mouse mat.

The AMD 7700X CPU is in the socket, and the clamping mechanism has been removed carefully.The AMD 7700X CPU is in the socket, and the clamping mechanism has been removed carefully.

The Thermalright frame has been installed over the CPU.The Thermalright frame has been installed over the CPU.

Early design idea was to use wine boxes as a base.  I didn't like seeing so much wood though.Early design idea was to use wine boxes as a base. I didn't like seeing so much wood though.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
13 Replies
lowteck
Miniboss

GET SOME!

Tiger 2.gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
Dragokar
Miniboss

That is so overkill for WoT, but a nice build though!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You mean like the King Tiger was overkill for the allied tanks it was up against?  In the end, logistics (fuel, etc.) was it's demise.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

It also was to heavy and the drivetrain was not up to its task. Overall it was a good design but with many flaws.

I think the above would apply to the mouse or Panzerkampfwagen VIII or Panzer VIII, which are the same and by dimensions it was only in prototypes, the decline of the TIGER II was the bombers not other war tanks, in other words it was perfect on the ground for its time, by the way my favorite is the T28 Prototype and excellent to find playmates here 🤗

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You guys (@Dragokar & @Hiroki23 ) know your tanks pretty well.   Yes, the drivetrain of both Tiger tanks was a weakness.  Also, the weight of these tanks meant that crossing bridges could result in a bridge collapse.  Transporting them to the front on rail cars required transport tracks that weren't as wide.  But the best part was that 88mm gun.  

But what about the Gustav Gerät the immense long-range railway gun, with a caliber of 800 mm. in only 13 days with 8 shots, I think it has the highest rate of destruction of self-propelled guns, to operate everything was unique, a detachment of more than 1400 men, special tracks and so on, anyway it would be great to see it in action in wot, But it would be an easy target because of its high reload and large dimension, few maps could have it in play

Sorry, it's not 8 shots, it's 48 🤣🤣🤣

Dragokar
Miniboss

Still, if any of you one day play on the EU-server. Feel free to add me ingame with the same Nickname.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I did a bit more modding to the base this afternoon.  I added a 7 inch extension to support the LED mouse mat, and made it out of cardboard since it didn't need to support a load.  I wrapped it in black tape.  I'm happy with the result.  Gaming this afternoon (after the mod) was satisfying.

Four layers of cardboard, 18" x 7", did the trick.  Oh, I needed the black duct tape too.Four layers of cardboard, 18" x 7", did the trick. Oh, I needed the black duct tape too.

Now the LED mouse mat lays flat in the back.  Funny thing - I did much better at WOT this afternoon too.Now the LED mouse mat lays flat in the back. Funny thing - I did much better at WOT this afternoon too.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I can't believe that I'm already thinking about another computer build.  I must have some sort of undiagnosed disease......

I don't see computer upgrades on this chart though...I don't see computer upgrades on this chart though...

I Always want to see Vega64 and RadeonVII With newest Ryzen and fast ddr5 system performance.If you can find one of these old cards please test for us and show 4k performances.I dont know why but i always believe they are more capable then when they relased.I always wanted to build this kind of system with vega64 or RadeonVII :))

eebiii
Forerunner

LOL.

I am sorry for your pain. I know how hard it can be. I am still in the addiction phase myself and the only way I can help you is by giving you the motivation to complete this next build! 😀 

Stay Focused!