cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ridgerunner
Journeyman III

Re: What's wrong with this file?

I really hope this issue gets resolved soon. I'm getting ready to replace my amd radeon hd 4870 (It's getting long in the tooth). One of the things that will effect my next purchase for a video card will be Cycles support (I might be forced to go with nvidia, I don't like that idea). Anyway, thanks for all the effort so far guys!

sharlybg
Adept II

oh my god if only this get fixed soon imagine what event it will be on CG community. for it will be the time to build a beast powered by AMD. what great deal i dream every days about it.

1 W8000    for    display  large wide heavy 3D scene from blender an 3DSMAX

2 HD8990   for    very very fast rendering  on cycles octane indigo arion LUXRENDER oh my god

1 cpu            the best of AMD

my employer are waiting for this to change every config in our studio.

0 Likes
kylen
Adept I

Could you please give us an update on progress made so far, if any? It's been almost a month since the last update now, and I would like to know more.

himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi kylen,

I would request you to wait for the next driver release. As of now I cannot give any further information.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

finally i've got two HD 7950 from club 3D for luxrender and try to give a chance to AMD device. I hope that I will never regret it. already i 'm in a testing stage. will send feedback later. if this experimentation outperform my old blender + cycles pippeline it will be great.

blender+luxrender under : I7 2600 /16 gb ddr3/2X HD 7950

sharlybg
Adept II

great news all friends! after many try and retry session and moving  from one render engine to another I finally find the holy grail of lightspeed rendering under AMD GCN GPU.of course i try indigo render RT / Luxrender / and finally SLG. but who's the winner.

I run the same scène under each render engine and for the same quality (less noisy image) i've got :

Luxrender : 8 hours ( in hybridpath cpu+gpu) with sharp fireflies

INDIGO RT: 6 hours (hybridpath too)

SmallluxGPU 3.0:  5 min ( pathocl mod  Full Gpu)

I7 2600/HD 7950 royalking/16gb ddr3.

all the test are mad with only one of the GPU because i must change my motherboard and my power supply before setting the second HD 7950 in the beast.

I will post rendered image and tutorial about SLG later. but i think every AMD user must try it.very awesome.

for example the HD 7950 is 6X faster than my leadtek GTX 560 non ti.and 15X faster than my i7 2600.

0 Likes
kylen
Adept I

I love you man.

Go here: http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

Download the OpenCL archive for your operating system. Extract that somewhere you can easily find it, you'll need to find it again in Blender.

Now open up Blender. "File" -> "User Preferences" (Control + Alt + U) -> "Addons" tab -> "Install from file" (at the bottom).

Browse to the folder you just extracted, select the zip file.

My version is called "LuxBlend26_1.2.1_64bit_OpenCL.zip"

Now make sure it is enabled by making sure that it is ticked. If it does not show up automagically, click on the "Render" button at the left. "LuxRender" will show up in the list.

When that is done, do the same, but with "render_smallluxgpu.py". Make sure that is ticked as well.

Next, in Blender, at the top, next to the "Scene" textbox, change the render engine to "SmallLuxGPU"

At the right, in the "Render" tab, under "Full path to SmallLuxGPU's executable", enter the the path to "LuxRender_64_OpenCL\slg3.exe".

Next, under "Full path where the scene is exported", enter the path for the exported scenes to be stored. Entering "//" here will store the exported files in the directory of your Blender .blend.

If the "Rendering Type" is not yet set to "PathOCL", make sure it is. You could also try other "Rendering Types".

Now render to your heart's content!

Should you get any error messages, make sure you have installed the AMD APP SDK, which you can find here: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-...

Any other error messages, you can Google around.

Edit: you have to add a sun lamp though: Shift+A -> Lamp -> Sun (S). In the "Object Data" on the right (sun icon), make sure "Sky" is enabled.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

you dn't have to wait too long to render what you want under AMD graphique card. this is one of my final render with the HD 7950 from club 3d royal king.follow the steps described by Kylen to install Smallluxgpu.And enjoy your powerfull GCN GPU.I'AM Very happy today.Thanks to AMD. if you dn't believe us try Luxmark 2.0.

http://sdz-upload.s3.amazonaws.com/prod/upload/00093%20%288%29.jpg

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

thank Kylen! Now we must spread the News.. I think that AMD must use Smalluxgpu as an opencl promoting software as they do with luxmark Blender(compositing).

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Thanks sharlybg, for sharing your experiences. I hope smalluxrender will be helping a lot of people to accelerate their rendering. Also work to enable cycles is also under progress. Hopefully cycles will also work some time in near future.

0 Likes