cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bill03055
Journeyman III

Multi-core OS Overhead??

Do AMD dual-core processor drivers for WinXP Pro require additional time to initialize?

In comparing two XP Pro installations, one built on and for a single-core AMD processor machine, and the other for a dual-core AMD processor version of the same machine, I am experiencing an annoying 40-60 second delay in the loading of a touchscreen driver after the appearance of the XP Desktop on the dual-core unit, compared to a 5-10 second delay on the single-core processor unit.

Both images are being run and tested on the same machine, configured with the dual-core processor, so the only difference should be the multiprocessor support present in the second image, and yet it is the dual-core image running on the dual-core hardware that is taking longer to initialize.

That's what I'm trying to understand. There seems to be some "overhead" associated with setting up the XP session environment for multiple cores. I'm hoping someone can either confirm this, or point out some other configuration options I need to adjust to eliminate the additional delay.

Do XP and the AMD drivers require additional time to initialize multiprocessor support after the appearance of the Desktop before completing the loading of other peripheral drivers? Is there anything that can be done to minimize the additional delay? 

0 Likes
0 Replies