cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dwarrior74
Adept I

5700XT and old games

5700 XT. First AMD card, 19.7.5 driver. 4790K on water cooling, mild OC at 4.5. Z-97 PRO, 3503 BIOS. New install of Win10 Pro. 16GB ram. I keep a neat machine. Only install what's necessary. Not a noob.

Not a mega-machine anymore, but according to benchers, the XT is 132% faster than the old 970 I replaced. And my experience has been a mixed bag, at best.

I play some current games(Dx12 or Vulkan? Run great!), but I would call myself a retro gamer first. I like old games, emulation...that sort of stuff. And the XT doesn't seem to like a lot of what I like to do. Things that don't work well off the top of my head:

1. Anything UE3-based. Batman's, Mass Effect's, UT3 itself, Borderlands 2 and TPS, Transformers Cybertron games. You get the idea. ME2 on the Normandy is really bad. Stuttering/hitching. UE3 covers a LOT of territory for it run badly. Old 970? Wiped the floor with all of those and anything else UE3-based. Strangely, the Bioshock games seem to run fine.

2. Guild Wars 2 is AWFUL. Amazingly bad. Will run at 2 frames per second with 4% gpu utilization, then jump to 60 in 2 seconds with 80% usage, then back to 2fps when I look in a different direction. D9VK was recommended to me, and it helped a lot. But still not nearly as smooth and consistent as the old 970.

3. Quake 3 engine games like Star Trek Elite Force 2? Unplayable. So jerky in motion it's nauseating. Quake 3 itself I cannot even start because the menu screen melts and is unintelligible.

4. SWTOR? Well this one is obviously tricky for a lot of people. I have always known that. But I can say without reservation that the experience on the 970 was smoother and more consistent. We all know that NO modern setup runs that game perfect.

5. Emulation? Anything that requires opengl is a non-starter. Fortunately a number of the emulators I use are either moving to DX12/Vulkan, or are so old and low-usage that the XT can just overpower them with brute force. PCSX2 is hit or miss, depending on the game. MGS3 has so much bloom on DX11, it's eye-watering. Opengl is way too slow.

Just want you to know that I am not some miserable dude that goes around various forums posting complaints. I actually can't stand that type of person. It's just that I don't make a lot of money. I didn't spend that 400 bucks on this card lightly. As I have told you, I upgraded from a 970, for Pete's sake. It's been a long time. I just wanted to give my money to AMD, and NOT Nvidia. I don't like how Nvidia and Intel have been price-gouging people for years, and I wanted to go team red on my next card.

Not really looking for fixes on all of these things per se. Just hoping AMD sees this, and that maybe with some of their newfound Ryzen cash, they can shore up their DX9/Opengl support a bit.

10 Replies
thwomp
Adept III

I hate this post got ignored. I'm in the same boat man. Stuttering in basically every game because the GPU is downclocking constantly.

crayraven
Elite

Guilld Wars 2 runs awful on the 5700 xt. Some times the frame rate hits 10-20fps. And I'm using  a Ryzen 1800x and 64gb 3200mhz ram.  My Fury X ran gw2  way better than this.

wooshcat
Journeyman III

Fair to say I'm never buying an AMD gpu again. Most the games I play are either old or not graphically heavy.

Can't you just use a high performance mode in the driver like with Nvidia ? Than the GPU just goes to standard clock or higher when needed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly the same issues with the VII.

The issue is because AMD removed the Power Efficiency which prevented the core/mem from downclocking.

I have said that the Radeon VII cannot render Doom1 at SOLID 60FPS.

Beyond Unacceptable.

Oh, forgot I answered in this thread. So in the meanwhile I also bought a 5700XT, I struggled 3 months to get normal FPS or just even just play a blu-ray movie; never did it happen. So I sent the card back because of technically not usable,... I got my money back and bought a 2060 super, this works flawless, no issues at all and almost the same performance at 1440p. 

baepe
Adept III

add black desert to this list.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add every IDTECH1 and BUILD game to the list.

0 Likes
Aidads
Adept II

Hi. I like old games too. Today I buy my RX 5700 XT and found the same problem. The old games like "The Thing", "Mafia", "Half-Life", "Half-Life 2" was freezing and gived 2-3 FPS. But if you run the game in windowed mode, all problems disappear. I know this is an incomplete solution to the problem. But at least something.

wMode.png

0 Likes

mh,

try windowed mode AND buy "Borderless Gaming" on steam - this will stretch most windows or borderless windows to fullscreen ;)

or try to play old games in a specific resolution like 1366x768@144hz (if you have a 144Hz display)
now comes the trick: download latest CRU and add in the "Extension blocks" the specific resolution you have choosen (in my case 1366x768@144hz)

looks like this for me:
correct settings for 768p144hz on AOC G2460PFcorrect settings for 768p144hz on AOC G2460PF
this could help you // USE CORRECT SETTINGS FOR YOUR MONITOR!

ps - if nothing helps: enable GPU Scaling (fullscreen) + DISABLE FreeSync + disable HDCP // maybe i know more after i slept ;) 

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes