Today at CES, we announced the AMD FreeSyncTM Premium1 and AMD FreeSyncTM Premium Pro2 tiers.
AMD FreeSync3 technology is entering its sixth year since its introduction, and over the last six years, the FreeSync display ecosystem has grown exponentially. FreeSync is the largest gaming display ecosystem with 1000 certified displays expected January 20204. We are thrilled with the success of the ecosystem and the collaboration we have with our many display partners.
Over the last few years, gaming components, gamer expectations, and FreeSync technology have evolved. With more powerful gaming components, the needs of gamers and their expected gaming experiences have matured. Gamers looking for a premium, high refresh rate gaming experience should be enabled to easily identify and select the right products.
The AMD FreeSyncTM Premium tier enhances the baseline FreeSync tier with additional benefits, such as the following two key elements that that we believe are necessary for a high performance gaming experience:
- At least 120 Hz refresh rate at minimum FHD resolution
- Low framerate compensation (LFC)
Competitive gamers know that every frame matters. LFC helps ensure that when the framerate of a game is running below the minimum supported refresh rate of a display, the frames are displayed multiple times so that you can remain in the supported refresh rate of the display and maintain smooth gameplay.
Source: AMD internal data, December 2019
Prior to 2018, there were not many monitors in our ecosystem that adopted LFC technology while also offering a high refresh rate. Today, with the rapid growth of our ecosystem and the rapid growth of LFC displays, we are able to offer over 300 monitors in the new FreeSyncTM Premium tier.
The FreeSyncTM Premium Pro tier, previously known as FreeSync 2 HDR, delivers uncompromised high-performance gaming with stunning visual HDR fidelity. As games have evolved, immersive visual experiences are more important than ever. Gamers demand high performance and high-fidelity visual gaming experiences. Displays certified for the AMD FreeSyncTM Premium Pro tier include highly accurate luminance and wide color gamut testing to enable an exceptional HDR visual gaming experience.
FreeSync Premium Pro
Previously known as FreeSync 2 HDR
The base FreeSync tier remains as an industry baseline for monitors, laptops, and TVs that have been designed and tested to meet a quality standard of performance. Regardless of tier, all FreeSync monitors go through a comprehensive certification process, which tests various aspects such as no tearing, low flicker, and low latency to enable highly responsive gaming.
Listen to our engineers talk about our certification process here:
It has been a successful six years and we are committed to further developing the FreeSync technology and ecosystem for all users to enjoy.
Nan Huang is a product marketing manager within Radeon Technologies Group at AMD. Her postings are her own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites are provided for convenience and unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such linked sites and no endorsement is implied. GD-5
1. Requires a monitor and AMD RadeonTM graphics, both with FreeSync Premium support. AMD FreeSync Premium requires mandatory low framerate compensation and at least 120 Hz refresh rate at minimum FHD. See www.amd.com/freesync for complete details. Confirm capability with your system manufacturer before purchase. GD-161.
2. FreeSync Premium Pro does not require HDR capable monitors; driver can set monitor in native mode when FreeSync Premium Pro supported HDR content is detected. Otherwise, HDR content requires that the system be configured with a fully HDR-ready content chain, including: graphics card, graphics driver and application. Video content must be graded in HDR and viewed with an HDR-ready player. Windowed mode content requires operating system support. GD-162.
3. FreeSync technology requires a monitor and AMD RadeonTM graphics, both with FreeSync support. See www.amd.com/freesync for complete details. Confirm capability with your system manufacturer before purchase. GD-127
4. As of September 2019, the number of FreeSync technology enabled screens available (900+) at https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors - Largest ecosystem when compared to publicly available listings of competing product solutions at https://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/ and https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/ which list 58 screens respectively. GD-130.
2020 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon, Ryzen, FreeSync, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other product names used in this publication are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective companies.