cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nec_v20
Challenger

Why AMD still has an uphill battle

I came across the following video and it basically exemplifies why AMD has an uphill battle among those I call  "Computer User, Non-Technical".

My comment on the video:

Before I tell you why you are wrong, you have to reflect upon the saying, "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

You will find the book from Paul Carroll entitled, "Big Blues: The Unmaking of IBM", very enlightening and a foreshadowing of the future in store for Intel. If you are still as confident in your "Buy Intel" mantra after reading this and comparing what happened then to IBM to what is happening now to Intel, then, as they say, "I want a pound of what you are smoking".

Intel is not directly involved with 5G but rather its supporting technology, which means that Intel is replaceable.

In the realm of Data Centres Intel has an inertia of orders which it is fulfilling, but I would strongly advise you to look at what is happening in the realm of NEW contracts and you will see that AMD is cleaning Intel's clock on that front. I am not speaking of contracts to upgrade existing Intel installations but rather brand new contracts for new server infrastructure projects.

Intel will not have 7nm until 2023 by the earliest. This means that Intel will have started to catch up in the node size to where AMD has been since 2019. Intel is nowhere close to where AMD is with regard to their processor designs, and their GPUs are a joke in comparison to what is now available from AMD and Nvidia.

When Intel finally gets to 7nm AMD will have been on 5nm for at least two years, and will have their competing products on the market.

You implied that AMD is an upstart company, but AMD beat Intel back in the day to 64-bit computing (what is now being implemented in the realms of 64-bit OS and software architectures is based on AMD's architecture and not Intel's); also AMD beat Intel to the the multi-core CPU architecture.

AMD has been around for 50 years.

With regard to other markets involving CPUs Intel is losing out to ARM - Apple only being one small part of that equation.

Here is a video from someone who is very well connected in the computer scene, and he has impeccable sources. This video may shock you:

If I knew anyone with Intel stocks (those I know who did have, sold their Intel stocks weeks ago at my urging and bought AMD) then I would be urging them to get rid of them, because the news is only going to get worse for Intel as 2020 progresses and in 2021, 2022 and probably at least a couple of years beyond that - EVEN IF INTEL STARTS GETTING IT TOGETHER RIGHT NOW!.

The next piece of really bad news, which will probably be the nail in the coffin for Intel with regard to the PC desktop/server market will be coming this October/November when AMD will be bringing out their Zen3 architecture.

At present the maximum clockspeed you can get out of an Intel CPU without exotic cooling is 5.3 GHz at 90+ degrees Celsius. With Zen3 you will be able to get a CPU with more cores than Intel has which will be running at the Intel equivalent of over 6 GHz, and desktop CPUs based on this brand new architecture will be able to be cooled by a good $80 air cooler. Intel's last boast in the PC market of being, "The Fastest Gaming CPU" will crash and burn.

If you have any further questions I will enjoy answering them.

I didn't say that as an AMD fanboy but rather from the standpoint that presently I just could not see myself either building a system for myself, or when advising someone else, to choose an Intel based system.

This was most certainly different three years ago and to a great extent different even two years ago.

What the video however demonstrates is that AMD does not yet have the mindshare clout that Intel has and thus cannot afford to take it easy, sit back, and just expect the World to come to them.

0 Likes
1 Reply
nec_v20
Challenger

I got a reply from the person who created the video and he wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to watch, and write a really detailed comment. The video that you linked is very good, and the comments on that thread are just funny. I guess that I tend, in my personality, to put a lot of stake into a companies history, legacy, and reputation to pull it through tough times (Bull on Boeing even with reading about internal culture of prioritizing profits over engineering R&D and connectivity).
I can't say that I disagree with anything that you have written, but do appreciate your addition to this discussion and the opposite perspective it will give other investors checking out the video!

My reply to that was the following:

If Boeing were very successful selling piston engined biplanes and you knew of a competitor that you knew was coming out with a monoplane jet would you be advising people to hang on to their Boeing stock?

What would you think of people who used the arguments you used with regard to Intel and who add arguments like "Well they both fly, so I don't see the difference".

Technologically that is how far ahead AMD is of Intel in CPU development.

This didn't come overnight. AMD has been developing their Zen architecture since 2012, all the while Intel have just been bringing out incremental improvements to their "biplane" architecture.

0 Likes