Recently, my computer started freezing unexpectedly while gaming. Game freezes, sound continues, screen goes black, and either the game unfreezes or goes to desktop. The only error (warning) I see is in the Event Viewer : "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Most of the time, the first freeze happens within 5 minutes of gaming. "Grim Dawn" is an example of a game I have played for over 200 hours without any issue, but now getting freezes.
PC specs :
- GPU: Sapphire RX480 4GB
- CPU: Intel i5-6600K
- PSU: Corsair SF600
- Motherboard: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
- OS: Windows 10
Things that I have tried :
- Reverting AMD Driver to 19.2.2. using DDU (same issue so reinstalled latest recommended version)
- Updating BIOS
- Reinserting GPU into Motherboard slot, and changing PCI-E cable
- Undervolting GPU and setting power limit to +50%
- Some stress tests (OCCT, Furmark, Heaven)
On the other hand, CPU stress test shows no sign of errors.
I have read multiple threads where people are having a similar issue, but no solution has worked for me.