AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX 5700 XT - Massive fps drop with in-game steam notifications (friend messages)

Question asked by harest on Feb 1, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2020 by harest

Issue reported first with the link in the Radeon software, i thought i'd also share it here.

System:

• Graphics card: SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5500 XT 8G GDDR6
  • Operating System: W10 64bit (build 1903)
  • Driver version installed: 20.1.3
  • Display Devices: AOC 24G2U as main monitor where games are running (DP, 144Hz, 1080p). Philips 243v5 (HDMI, 60Hz, 1080p) aside but not powered when i had the issue. Same for the Panasonic TV (HDMI to DP, 60Hz, 720p as 1080 is not listed, it was with a 7870?! it only accept 1080i though, may be the cause).
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit: Thermaltake Smart BX1 RGB 750W
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4

Issue:

As soon as i receive a message from a Steam friend and the notification in-game of it, any game where this notification will be displayed starts to stutter heavily and drop fps insanely.

For instance i was playing Hollow Knight ealier, i was going from 144 fps to 60-80, sometimes even less than 60. I was able to notice the same perf issue in Trials Rising (very specific here, the steam overlay propagated to this game by an Epic Game Launcher added in steam as a "non-steam game", and then from the Epic launcher it starts Trials Rising by also opening Uplay ; this game is capped at 60 fps so fps didn't drop much, but unsmooth gameplay was well there) and Torchlight III (Alpha).

So, steps to reproduce :

1. Start a game from Steam with steam overlay and steam friends message notifications enabled.
  2. Get a message notification from a friend sending you a message.
  3. See your game dropping fps heavily and being very unsmooth.

Outcomes