Issue reported first with the link in the Radeon software, i thought i'd also share it here.
- Graphics card: SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5500 XT 8G GDDR6
- Operating System: W10 64bit (build 1903)
- Driver version installed: 20.1.3
- Display Devices: AOC 24G2U as main monitor where games are running (DP, 144Hz, 1080p). Philips 243v5 (HDMI, 60Hz, 1080p) aside but not powered when i had the issue. Same for the Panasonic TV (HDMI to DP, 60Hz, 720p as 1080 is not listed, it was with a 7870?! it only accept 1080i though, may be the cause).
- Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- Power Supply Unit: Thermaltake Smart BX1 RGB 750W
- RAM: 32GB DDR4
As soon as i receive a message from a Steam friend and the notification in-game of it, any game where this notification will be displayed starts to stutter heavily and drop fps insanely.
For instance i was playing Hollow Knight ealier, i was going from 144 fps to 60-80, sometimes even less than 60. I was able to notice the same perf issue in Trials Rising (very specific here, the steam overlay propagated to this game by an Epic Game Launcher added in steam as a "non-steam game", and then from the Epic launcher it starts Trials Rising by also opening Uplay ; this game is capped at 60 fps so fps didn't drop much, but unsmooth gameplay was well there) and Torchlight III (Alpha).
So, steps to reproduce :
- Start a game from Steam with steam overlay and steam friends message notifications enabled.
- Get a message notification from a friend sending you a message.
- See your game dropping fps heavily and being very unsmooth.