cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

andres_paiva
Adept II

Power requirements - RX580 + Ryzen + 550W

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the power consumption requirements of the RX580 8GB.

In a setup with a Ryzen 5 2400G, is a Corsair CX550W 80 Bronze Plus PSU sufficient?

I read out there that I must pay attention to the amperage that comes out of the 12v line but I didn't find the official data.

On the other hand, I would like to replace the CPU with a Ryzen 7 2700, and I fear that the PSU can no longer support it. It is right?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies

Corsair uses only reputable OEMs for their PSUs, so yes, that PSU is sufficient for an RX 580, and will also be sufficient for the Ryzen 7 2700.

This website recommends a minimum PSU of 550 watts to run your computer with a RX 580:

But AMD recommends a minimum PSU of 500 Watts:

So you have an adequate PSU to run your RX 580.

With a Ryzen 7 2700 here is the maximum power (wattage) from this tech site review: https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700-8-core-65w-processor-review_205588/8 

Tom's Hardware review shows the Power draw of the RX580:AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB: Power Consumption 

If both your RX580 and Ryzen 7 are maxed out, then it is possible you may have some power issues. But both being maxed will be very rare to do unless you are stress testing both at the same time like using OCCT  PSU Stress Test.

andres_paiva
Adept II

@black_zion thanks for your answer. 

@elstaci thank you very much for your research work. My doubts are due to the fact that the energy requirements confuse me, considering that certified PSUs (like mine) only offer 80% of their nominal power, so I understand that my 550W are only 451W "real" (82% Bronze Plus). So the 500W recommended by AMD, are nominal or real watts?

0 Likes

I believe you have the wrong impression of what 80% means for a PSU.

Found this Tech site that explains in detail about what the Power ratings mean in a PSU : What is PSU Efficiency and Why is it Important? | Velocity Micro Blog 

Tom's Hardware is a very good tech site explaining about PSU efficiencies: Tom's Explains: What Do 80 PLUS Bronze, Silver, Gold & Titanium Signify? | Tom's Hardware 

Basically I wouldn't worry about it. Once you get the Ryzen 7 with the RX 580 it should work fine. You have a High Quality PSU which helps in running your computer.

If you notice that your computer is crashing during very heavy loads, then you might consider using OCCT PSU Stress test to determine if it is the PSU or some other reason for the crashes.

Thanks again, now I understand it well.

From what I see, 550W is fine, but it is on the limit.

Greetings