Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

panchopaz
Adept I

Problem with Radeon rx 5700 XT and Dell Monitor

Hi,

I recently built a computer with a Radeon RX5700 XT and I am using it with my Dell Dell SE2717H.

When I boot the computer, I get a message that says:

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.

Please change your input timing to 1920×1080, 60Hz or any other monitor listed timings as per the monitor specification"

This is not a big deal in normal operation, since the monitor actually supports 75Hz and once windows boots, it works perfectly.

The problem is if I want to enter the bios settings, where this does not work and I can't actually change the bios settings.

I tried updating the drivers of the monitor, the graphics card, and fixing the settings to 60Hz in the display setting in windows.

I would appreciate any suggestion about how to solve this.

Thanks!

13 Replies

Win10, turn off 'Fast Startup' in power options settings.

Or one of these two https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5831-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-inside-windows-10-a.html

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hi goodplay,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, none of these options solve the problem, since they all just reset the computer and force it to go to the bios settings, and the monitor does not work there.

Maybe I explained the problem wrong. I will try to be more clear with a sequence of steps:

1) computer boots (no image in the monitor)

2) I get the error message (invalid timing)

3) windows boots

4) screen now works

Since access to the UEFI happens before windows boots (independently of how the restart is triggered), the monitor never goes out of the invalid timing error until I somehow exit the UEFI (which I can't see) and allow windows to boot.

My guess is that the GPU is producing some form of framerate that is incompatible with the screen (it seems to be a problem of the screen since I can connect the computer to the HDMI of a TV and it works perfectly).

I want to know if there is a way to set up that initial frame rate in the GPU so I can see the screen from the boot.

Thanks!

There are a number of various issues being reported for the card with 75hz monitors.

One thread, RX 5700 artifacts at 75hz?

You may want to post your issue there also.

Could it be freesync enabled causing your issue, maybe temp. disabling it ? 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hi goodplay,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried disabling freesync and it did not work. I am asking the Dell tech

support for some input.

Francisco

0 Likes
csanchezolt
Adept I

i have the same monitor and i have the same problem

with sapphire rx 5700 xt

only with adapter DP to HDMI is possible working with de bios.

Sorry my english

Tengo el mismo monitor con el mismo problema, con una sapphire rx480 no tenia ningun problema, pero desde que he comprado la sapphire rx5700xt pulse me ha aparecido el problema

Yo he podido solucionarlo con un adaptador DP a HDMI, es la unica manera para poder ver la Bios y poder hacer cambios, con el monitor conectador directamente al hdmi no hay forma y  en los foros de dell para este mismo modelo hay el mismo problema con otras graficas.

Un saludo

0 Likes

Hi csanchezolt,

Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, is your adapter active or passive?

I tried with a passive adapter and it did not work.

(muchas gracias por la sugerencia!)

Francisco

0 Likes
csanchezolt
Adept I

is active, but with adaptor dont work freesync

Adaptor DisplayPort 1.2 la HDMI 2.0 18G Activ T-M, Lindy L41068

i open SAPPHIRE CUSTOMER SUPPORT TICKET

sorry my english

Any luck with sapphire customer support. Just upgraded to a pulse rx 5700 and have the same monitor and same issue. Have also opened a support ticket but it seems pretty hopeless.

0 Likes

I was able to make it work using a HDM to VGA adapter (active). You loose

freesync and the resolution is very bad, but you can access the bios.

I only used this solution when I need to access the bios, most of the time,

I would use just HDMI and it would work.

Now, I bought another dell monitor (2k monitor with 144Hz refresh rate) and

it works perfectly all the time.

I hope you can make it work

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 10:49 PM mikhonda2019 <amd-external@jiveon.com>

Why in god's name would you buy another Dell after having this issue? I will not be touching them again (I have the same issue).

0 Likes

Try a different hdmi cable.

0 Likes
kear
Journeyman III

"Now, I bought another dell monitor (2k monitor with 144Hz refresh rate) and

it works perfectly all the time."

Do you use the: 

HDM to VGA adapter (active)"

for the new monitor? or the HDMI 2.0 or 1.4?

im asking because i bought a 2k monitor 144Hz, and i have problems with the startup of windows, using HDMI 2.0.

When i use HDMI 1.4 it stats with no problem but the Hz also goes down to 60(hdmi 1.4) from 144 (hdmi 2.0)

Resolution is: 1440p in both cases.

i really want that that 1440p at 144hz with HDMI 2.0 but seems like i need to get a DP for that.

My monitor is: dell S2719DGF which has 2.0 support

GPU: rx5700 XT red dragon, which has HDMI 2.1 support

What i gathered of information, 1440p 144hz should work with a HDMI cable.

But it doesn't...

So how do you get yours to work?

0 Likes

Did you solve your problem? Your monitor with card should be fine at 144hz. Did you switch the refresh rate to 144hz from "advanced display settings"?

I'd opt for display port if i where you, even if it is working.

0 Likes