cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hewjazz321
Adept I

Its not just Destiny 2

I heard through the grape vine that Destiny 2 was having crashing issues with the new Zen 2 CPUS. Supposedly this has been addressed by AMD and the game is now functioning. Not a game I would play, so I don't really care.

There is however an old favorite of mine that no longer works with this new AMD CPU. This game is my beloved Max Payne the first. Upon starting the game, I get several Jpeg errors during the intro cutscenes and before it can reach actual gameplay, the game crashes. I swapped my 3800x back to my 1600x and the game starts with no errors or problems to speak of.

This issue has been posted on the Steam forums by a couple of other people that are currently running Zen 2 CPUS. Anyone else willing to give this old classic a go on there new Ryzen CPUs? With it being such an old game, it would be a damn shame if AMD isn't willing to look into this. One of my favorites that I wouldn't mind playing again. Appreciate any help or info anyone can give.

12 Replies

Seems that a few games are problematic.

To rule out system faults use a different disk and install windows fresh and just the games at issue so it can be certain the game is defective

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried running the game on two separate drives with two different versions of Windows 10. I get the exact same JPEG errors right before crashing to the desktop. After switching my new 3800x back to my older 1600x, the game starts up and runs fine. It most certainly is the new CPU. I tested over 50 other games, some much older then Max Payne 1 and they all run fine on this new chip.

As stated in my original post, I've come across two other people who recently upgraded to the new Zen 2 chips and there copies of Max Payne 1 also crash to the desktop with JPEG errors.  I was hoping I could find some people here who have a new Zen 2 chip and a copy of the game they could try out. I'm interested in seeing if they can make it past the intro scene without it crashing on them.

reason for checking is to be sure the issue is repeatable so that somebody can take a look

0 Likes

Same problem with Ryzen 9 5900X

0 Likes

Max Payne uses Direct X 9 which had problems in the past with AMD Drivers which was resolved later on.

But found this thread (2017) that you may want to try and see if it prevents the crashing for your particular game from VOGONS Thread: VOGONS • View topic - Max Payne 1 & 2 Startup Hang Patch 

You didn't mention what GPU Card you have installed. Have you tried to install the latest Driver for your GPU Card?

If you have the latest GPU Driver for your card installed and it is a AMD GPU Card, then you may want to let AMD know about the problem by opening a Online Service Request from here: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

I appreciate the info elstaci. Unfortunately I have already tried all of the fixes posted on the steam site, including the one you mentioned. I am running an Nvidia 1070 and on my updated Windows 10, it has the most recent Nvidia driver.

On my other hard drive with an older version of Windows, it has an older Nvidia driver. Neither hard drive runs the game.

If it was something else in my system aside from the CPU, then why does the game work on the same hardware/software/settings with the zen 1 CPU? Its only when I upgraded the CPU did it stop working. When I switch the CPU back from 3800x to 1600x, it runs fine on both hard drives.

I was under the assumption that AMD checks these forums. Is there a better way to get this info to them in hopes that they may look into it? (doubtful they would)

0 Likes

Yes, from my previous reply:

If you have the latest GPU Driver for your card installed and it is a AMD GPU Card, then you may want to let AMD know about the problem by opening a Online Service Request from here: Online Service Request | AMD 

This is the only way to let Official AMD Support know there is a problem. But truthfully, in my opinion, if it is just one or two Users or an old game having this isssue, there probably won't be much movement in getting it fixed.  Unless they feel it may impact a large amount of Users in the future. 

The Moderators of AMD Forum are employees of AMD. They will open a Support Ticket themselves if they feel it is important enough. Normally if they do, they will say so in the thread.

0 Likes

My apologizes elstaci, I did read all of your previous message. I thought the link you gave me only had to do with AMD graphics. Didn't realize it handles all AMD components. Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
lynks
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with max payne 1 and my ryzen 3700x. I was tested with my old intel 2500k and the problem don't appear.

max payne is know not to be working on Ryzen 3000

h143570
Journeyman III

Looks like the game code has broken CPUID detection. For solution please refer to this reddit article
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dr5f0b/a_uniquely_ryzen_3000_problem_max_payne_2001/f6q2krp/ 

0 Likes
GabrielSebastianMoise
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. Ryzen 9 5900X. Unable to play MaxPayne 1. JPEG decode error.

0 Likes