cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

korrektor
Journeyman III

Resolve the Wattman reset problem

Hello everyone. I recently got an RX570 for a second PC and as usual I do with all my GPUs decided to undervolt it and customize the fan curve. However I found out that Wattman is resetting the settings all the time - if the PC was shut down improperly, there was an electricity blackout, something crashed, etc, etc. It was not the undervolt fault because I tested it properly in games and benchmarks and everything runs stable.

So I get the idea and I encountered this before with other AMD cards - better safe than sorry and so on, if for some reason OC or undervolt makes the card so unstable that the user can't even reset the settings this is perfectly reasonable. However, it is really annoying.

My suggestion to resolve this is to apply the settings with a delay of, say, 3 minutes after Windows launch. That should be more than enough to open the control panel and reset the settings manually if something is wrong.

Please do something with it, radeon drivers have superior out-of-the-box functionality compared to competition, but now I'm being forced to use tools like MSI Afterburner instead

2 Replies
jdrobinson314
Challenger

Wattman resetting like this is an indication that some parameter of you custom profile is out of the range which the drivers think is bootable or stable or because you've had an improper shutdown, driver crash on shutdown, etc. It's  meant as a safe guard against non bootable profiles.

Turn off fast boot in windows. See if this works first. This is probably your problem.

Other solutions include setting Wattman to balanced mode or a more mild custom mode and setting the known good custom wattman setting you desire the the game profiles ( wattman per profile solution ). This will run the profile with the game rather than crashing/flaking out like it's doing now. 

Also, make a backup of your wattman profiles outside the AMD directories in case you decide to DDU.

thegodfather07
Journeyman III

I want to use msi afterburner aswell for my xfx radeon rx 580 xxx edition but my radeon wattman settings overwrite the fan settings that i have applied on afterburner and its really annoying. i start my pc up and it makes it so that my graphics card is at 0 rpm(default wattman setting). Gosh its so annoying

0 Likes