whiskey-foxtrot

Oscar-Mike V3 (Threadripper Edition)

Discussion created by whiskey-foxtrot on Mar 20, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2019 by sonuchi

Description

This is a continuation of upgrades from the original Oscar Mike system I posted in 2017 when the first AMD Ryzen 7 launched. It's been an absolute blast building with all of the new CPUs (and GPUs); in 2018 I upgraded from the X370 Crosshair VI motherboard to the X470 Crosshair VII and the CPU from the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X to the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. I decided to keep the upgrade going - to the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X.

I generally only build AMD rigs on the Asus Crosshair line (I have since the very first Crosshair), but changed it up a bit for 2019.

The original color scheme was after the Ryzen colors (orange and gray hues) - the pictures look a little darker, almost red in the, but you get the idea. Plus, Orange (or "Oranje" for me) is also part of my Dutch heritage.

Specifications

CPUAMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
CoolerEKWB
MotherboardAsus Zenith Alpha
MemoryG.Skill 64GB @3200MHz
GraphicsSapphire RX Vega64 Liquid Cooled edition (Converted)
Disc Drive 1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Disc Drive 24 x Seagate Ironwolf 10TB
Disc Drive 3External 20TB NAS.
PSUEVGA P-series Supernova 1200W
CaseThermaltake X71 (modified)
Monitor3 x Pixio 276H

Other information: The cooling system consists of 2 high fin density 360mm (top and bottom mounted) radiators, a large 850ml storage tank, and a dual pump setup as a failover. The CPU and GPU blocks are also by EKWB. The CPU generally doesn't get above 50C on the highest (compute/render) loads and stress tests, and the the GPUs stay below 42C at peak. Idle temps for both are below 24C. Good temps, means higher XFR/PBO with the CPU boosting around 4.3xxGHz when pushed.

Outcomes