cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amightygrizzly
Journeyman III

Finally, Fix for ATI RV370 or X300 GPU to Work on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit!

Alright, I will immediately state. I'm not in any way a technician or engineer by any means. I got a hold of a Dell XPS 400 which had a bad motherboard, and I switched for a Dell Precision T3400. I used to have a GT 730 4gb DDR3 GPU in the unit until I put the original ATI RV370 or X300 GPU back in it yesterday. During that time, I have been just wanting to make a normal everyday use computer, yet the drivers for the GPU are never detected. It used to go up only to 720p and even then it would stutter with the "h264ify" extension from Chrome. When I looked up how others dealt with the similar issues, each had a different solution or approach to this in which every single one led up to Windows 10 32-bit. All that I did yesterday was take each different solution and approach and put it into one method. Like I said before, I am NO EXPERT. Take my experience and advice very lightly. Only do this if don't mind tasting or messing with older hardware and software.

My specs in this unit is...

Case: Dell XPS 400

MOB: Dell Precision T3400

CPU: x3323(LGA 771to775mod)(Q6600 Xeon equalivant)

PSU: Dell OEM Server 375watt

Ram: 6.5GB of DDR2 at 667mhz

HDD: 160GB 7200rpm

GPU: MSI-V025-VER:10 ATI RV370

Even after doing this, please note that every single program or videoplayback will probably be held back by the hardware of the GPU. I used to have the GT 730, and it never was bottlenecked by the system and allowed 1080p 60fps. The ATI RV370 for me ran videoplayback after installing the drivers for me at 1080p 30fps to 10fps. It will struggle with fps but will go to 1080p.

Things you will need to do before starting...

#1.) A "WinRAR archiver"

#2.) A new folder on your desktop and renamed "ATI RV370".

#3.) Internet

#4.) Uninstall any other GPU drivers before hand. "DisplayDriverUninstaller" is a great program that allows any older or unstable drivers to be uninstalled efficiently and without headache. *Make sure to uninstall all other video card and/or adapter drivers before doing any of this.*

Here's how I did it...

#1.) Go to "AMD Drivers and Support" on Chrome or whichever browser you choose. Select "Graphics". Select "Legacy Graphics". Select "ATI Radeon X Series". Select "ATI Radeon X3xx Series". Click "SUBMIT".

#2.) Click on "Windows Vista-64 Bit Edition". Click on "Download" and download the drivers in your "ATI RV370" Folder.

#3.) After this is done downloading, unplug or disconnect your Internet connection. Trust me you dont want to be plugged in during this process.

#4.) After disconnecting your Internet, go to "Control Panel" by typing it in the bottom-left hand corner . Click on "Programs". Click on "Programs and Features". Now this is up to you, delete only the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x64" and "...x86".

*However, I will state that if you don't have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable x64" and "...x86" installed. Then DO NOT delete these files.* At this point, if you don't feel comfortable about deleting these, then I would not follow these instructions unless your comfortable enough to go ahead. This helped my system bypass certain requirements aut

horized by Microsoft that needed to go. Your hardware and software may be different. So please, trend carefully.

Close the window.

#5.) Now, Open the folder, "ATI RV370". Right-click on "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc". If you have the WinRAR archiver installed, then go down to "Add to 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.rar"  and Left-click it.

#6.) After the archive is done downloading, Right-click the WinRAR archiver file "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc" in your ATI RV370 Folder.

#7.) Now, hopefully your not confused cause... You need to Left-click onto the File folder "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc". After you have opened the File folder , Right-click on the Application "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc". Go down to "Troubleshoot compatibility" and Left-click this.

#8.) In the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter", let the program load the "Detecting issues". Once you see "Select troubleshooting option", click on "Troubleshooting program". Let it load "Resolving issues". Once you see "What problems do you notice?", click on the box "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and click "Next". Once you see "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?", click on "Test the program". You will now see the window of allowing your "10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc" in your taskbar. Click "Yes" to the action. Now that the "Catalyst: Installation Folder" has pooed up. You need to now press "Cancel" cause you have not fully allowed the troubleshooting compatibility to complete. Click "Next" in "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter". Once you see "Troubleshooting has completed. Is the problem fixed?", click on "Yes, save these settings for this program." Once it states "Troubleshooting has completed", then click on "Close the troubleshooter."

#9.) Now you can click on "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc" Application ONLY inside your File folder. The windows will pop up again this time of "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" and again click on "Yes".

Once you are in the "Catalyst: Installation Folder", click on "Install". Wait for the drivers to install.

Once you are in the "ATI-Catalyst Install Manager", you select your preferred language and click "Next". On the "Select Installation Operation" and "What do you want to do?', click on "Express" and then click "Next". In the "End User License Agreement", click on "Accept". Let the "Analyzing Configuration" load until it is done. Once you see "Installation complete", click on "Finish".

You can now close your folder called "ATI RV370."

FINAL STEP--->

#10.) In the bottom-left hand corner, type in "Device Manager" and select "Device Manager(Control Panel)". Once you are in your "Device Manager", go down to "Display adapters" and click on it. You should see "Microsoft Basic Display...".

*If you don't see this and instead see something else saying "ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series", then you have done exactly waht you needed to do and rivers should be installed. If you don't see this, then continue with what your doing.*

Right-click on "Microsoft Basic Display..." and go down and click on "Update driver".

Once you are in the window "How do you want to search for drivers?", click on "Browse my computer for driver software". Once you are in the "Browse for drives on your computer", type in the box,

" C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_IHF "(In case you want to copy and paste).

*The "C:\" is the disk letter assigned to my hard drive. If you do not know your disk letter, open "File Explorer". Click on "This PC". Under it you should see "Local Disk (?:)" and whichever letter is assigned to your hard drive which I indicated by a question mark(?).*

After this is completed and your done typing, click "Next". The drivers will(or should) finally be installed on your system. All you have to do is...

#1.) Go to "Display settings" and set your resolution at 1920x1080(if that is your resolution cause mine is at that).

#2.) Close your "Device Manager" window, and reopen it. go to "Display adapters" and this time when you click on it should say "ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series". (If not, then all I can say is use the "DisplayDriverUninstaller" and repeat just to make sure everything went okay. If it doesn't work a second time, then I am not the expert at this and I cannot help you.)

#3.) Restart your computer.

#4.) You can now replug or reconnect your Internet again.

If you have done all of this, then now you should be able to at least play 1080p 30fps to 10fps videoplayback on YouTube's videoplayback. I have not gamed on this video card and honestly I believe gaming on this GPU is NOT a smart idea. I want to use this for general use and not gaming in the slightest. You would probably need much better hardware for those applications. I'm just making sure that driver support can be used on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Hope this helps anybody with similar issues. This is the only legitimate way that I know to get these drivers working on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit that seems safe. *Also, if your drivers are working but videoplayback is not working, you can go to "Chrome"browser. Go to "Apps" in the top-left hand corner of the browser. Go to "Web Store". Inside the "Web Store", type in "h264ify" and add the extension. Enable "h264ify" and this should allow easier videoplayback in YouTube. I had to use "h264ify" cause of my CPU not being able to encode YouTubes data in HD.*

Hopes this helps! Sorry that it is really long and detailed. I just want to cover every precaution beforehand so that any end user will be able to still utilize this older but still capable hardware. 

3 Replies
timberwolfe333
Journeyman III

Thank you for posting this.  I'm going to be trying out using Windows 10 on a old Dell Laptop, Lattitude D610 with a 32bit 1.8Ghz Pentium M 750 with 2GB DDR2 RAM and integrated ATI X300 with 64MB dedicated graphics memory and 80GB Samsung ATA100 HDD.  I'm also going to try using the Digital-FLEM 4.3 tool to modify a newer driver package to work with an older GPU, hopefully that make the process you went through unnecessary but if it doesn't work I'll try your method!

0 Likes

More simple,

Launch the install app from AMD.
It will unzip the files to "ATI" Folder in the root of your hard drive.

Then go to update the driver, select ATI, then it will install the driver.
And its done, no more that 15s

0 Likes

More simple,

Launch the install application download from AMD (Legacy, then "ati radeon x300"). It will faile but it will unzip the files to "ATI" folder at the root of your hard drive.

Then you should go to Windows Device Manger, choose your device (the one without driver) click to update the driver, select ATI, then it will install the driver for Windows 10. Works like a charm on W10 64bits

And its done, no more that 15s

Not bad at all

0 Likes