cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

markiemarcus
Adept III

Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos

This is a recent problem in the last handful of driver versions. The problem goes away when you disable Freesync in Radeon Settings.

Driver version 19.1.1
RX 480
LG 29" Ultrawide 29UM67

Windows 10 1809 x64
Displayport

Players I have tested include MPC-HC, MPC-BE, WMP, Films & TV player in W10. The machine is dual booted with Windows 8.1 where the problem also occurs using the Windows 7 driver.

121 Replies
markiemarcus
Adept III

Really? Nobody else?

Just as further update, the last driver that doesn't have this issue is 18.12.1.1. So this problem has been introduced with the 2019 Edition drivers, with the new Relive features.

dazzlegamer
Adept I

Yep i've just purchased a Freesync monitor last week and have been noticing this issue, tho it's not the case in games..tbh it's literally annoying the hell outta me because i watch anime a lot during free time ...

PLZ RADEON TEAM, HAVE THIS FIXED ASAP!

It's so bizarre that it doesn't happen in games isn't it? It's a really obvious problem in video playback though; surprised that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Exactly, it's fine in games..also LFC doesn't seems to be working even though I've reduced the FreeSync Range from 40-75 to 30-75 using CRU!

0 Likes
markiemarcus
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.2.1

0 Likes
klu
Adept I

Yep, I have the same issue. Tearing on videos (I'm using AllPlayer), I didn't notice this in games, though.

Disabling FreeSync in Radeon Settings fixes this issue.

Current setup:

Driver: 19.2.2

GPU: RX 580 8GB

Monitor: iiyama XUB2792QSU\

Interface: DisplayPort

Yes games seem fine. Can confirm the tearing also happens in Allplayer here too.

I've narrowed it down a little more: you can avoid the tearing if you switch to a D3D fullscreen mode in MPC-HC/MPC-BE. This isn't really a solution though; it isn't the default behaviour in any player I can think of.

0 Likes
markiemarcus
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.2.3

0 Likes
markiemarcus
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.4.3.

daannl
Journeyman III

Having the same issue when playing videos at fullscreen, with freesync enabled. Fixed when freesync disabled. 

The last driver without the issue is 18.9.3

Current driver version 19.5.1
Sapphire RX 480
LG 34" Ultrawide 34UM59

Windows 10 1809 x64

MPC-HC
HDMI port

0 Likes
chrisro
Adept I

Same Problem for a few months now, still not fixed:

Setup:

Driver: 19.5.1

GPU: Vega 56

Monitor: LG 27UD68-W

Interface: DisplayPort

crosbyspace
Adept I

Same problem. Tearing with freesync in mpc-hc when fullscreen.

Driver 19.5.1
RX 590
Samsung
C27F390FHI
HDMI

Windows 10 1903

0 Likes
darkradeon
Adept III

I have the same issue.

Before 1903 it was enough to create a profile for the player and then disable freesync in the profile, now since 1903 profile workaround doesn't work anymore, I have to switch to full D3D frullscreen in the player AND forcing v-sync in profile (doesn't matter which presentation mode I use, DXVA2 or D3D11), otherwise I had to disable freesync in the screen option of the Radeon settings.

hw config: Ryzen 5 1500X, 16GB DDR4, R9 380X 8GB GDDR5, LG 34UM68-P, DisplayPort, etc...

0 Likes
chrisro
Adept I

I just tried 19.5.2. The problem ist still not fixed. Hello AMD, could you please do something about this?

ilyon
Journeyman III

Same thing here and no solution (19.5.2 / 1800X / R9NANO / AOC2590)

Apps like myTube also stutter a lot. Didn't find a solution yet.

If someone at AMD could handle the problem ...

0 Likes
chrisro
Adept I

Updated to 19.6.1, no change. Video playback still suffers from tearing when FreeSync is enabled. Six months and no fix, come on AMD.

0 Likes

Are you all making sure to report this to AMD for every new driver that does not fix the issue? :  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

A long shot, but...did you enable Enhanced Sync in the Global settings? That would cause these type of issues. Enhanced sync should only be enabled in a game profile.

I've already tried that. Only disabling Freesync solves the issue (or reverting the drivers to last known good version).

darkradeon
Adept III

still  not fixed in 19.6.2

0 Likes

Is AMD even aware of this issue?

0 Likes

No idea. That it isn't on their list of known issues after all this time is concerning. I reckon this is far more widespread. A significant variety of set ups have been mentioned here so far.

And yes, I've used the online service request.

0 Likes
klu
Adept I

I will try to report it via the official bug report (or whatever it is called) as well. Maybe someone will take interest in this finally. 

0 Likes

Here's what they call it:

sempronguy
Adept I

No luck yet? Been experiencing this issue for months also. I used to be fine just disabling freesync everytime I watch movies and then enable it again if I play a game. Now I couldn't be bothered anymore cause quite a few times already I forgot freesync was off and I already launched the game so I'd had to close the game again and turn freesync on. 

0 Likes

Nope. I reported the problem within a month of it occurring, the steps needed to reproduce it, tested multiple operating systems and even found the last working driver version and there's been no response. It isn't even on a list of known issues.

The only thing I can suggest is for people to use the fault reporting tool within Radeon Settings if they haven't already.

0 Likes
markiemarcus
Adept III

Still broken on Windows 10 Build 1903, driver version 19.6.2.

0 Likes
mcober
Journeyman III

High Refresh rate displays (>60Hz) and Netflix/Amazon Video (DRM content) on Windows 10 cause stuttering

i have this problem too

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 4000 MHz (40 x 100)
Noctua NH D15 CPU Kühler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB @3000Mhz @1,4V
Asus Prime X470-Pro
RADEON RX Vega 64 8GB

Monitore:
Gaming Monitor AOC C27G1, 68,58 cm (27 Zoll), Curved, 144Hz, FreeSync, -> Displayport

2x24“, full HD
BenQ G2420HDBL (DvI-D)
LG 24MB56 HDMI

0 Likes
darkradeon
Adept III

Still not fixed in 19.7.1

borus87
Adept II

Got the same issue. Videos tear when freesync is on. It stops when I disable freesync in Radeon Adrenaline and restart the video. I checked it in VLC and PotPlayer. 

Specs:

i7-930

Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud7

12GB (3x4gb) ddr3 1600Mhz

Seasonic 750W Gold Plus

MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC 8GB

Monitor: LG 27UD59-B (4K 10-bit Freesync)https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD59-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

Radeon Adrenaline 19.7.1

darkradeon
Adept III

bump, not fixed in 19.7.3

borus87
Adept II

still not fixed in 19.7.4 either 

le-faux
Adept I

I have the same problem with VLC and Media Player Classic.

Running on Windows 10 1903

Vega 64 Drvier Revision 19.7.5

LG 27UD58-B

le-faux
Adept I

Gotta love, how the problem is not even acknowledged by AMD, despite the numerous Reports in other threads....

Don't get me started. There was a stinker of a bug in GPU video decoding in 19.6.2 and 19.6.3 that came and went without any fanfare. 100% GPU activity when playing 4K HEVC content; dropped frames galore. How it passed QA I'll never know.

0 Likes
borus87
Adept II

Just checked it on 19.8.1. Issue still there - tearing videos when freesync is on and stops when I disable it.

markiemarcus
Adept III

We've now officially hit month no. 7. Champagne for everyone!

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

So what happens when you turn on  Frame-rate target control (try 60 fps) in the global settings, and then enable/change/disable it in each game's profile as desired?  I've got a freesync monitor coming today (BenQEW-3270U)--just thought I'd ask...;) I don't have freesync right now, but my global settings are usually Vsync off or Enhanced Sync, and I see no tearing at all when running browser video--I see very little of it in games, actually--even without Freesync.  I imagine it has to do with a person's monitor.  I tend to think the "Flicker-free" feature of my present monitor--and the one that is coming--is responsible for the elimination of 98% of visible screen tearing without vsync.  Not sure what else it could be.  My Hardware:

Windows10x64 v1903, build 18362.10005
19.8.1 Adrenalins
AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT
Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F5l
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock, 4.4+GHz boost
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
ST2000DM SATA III 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
AoC U3277PWQU 3840x2160 monitor

0 Likes

I love the "I don't know what it's about but I'll throw in my 5 cents" approach. Have you even read all our posts? Seems you didn't even care.

I see no tearing at all when running browser video--I see very little of it in games, actually--even without Freesync. 

We are not talking about games or YT or anything. This happens when we watch VIDEOS (x264/x265) in all sorts of video players. Nothing to do with games - no one even suggested that here. Plus you say "even without Freesync" well guess what... everything works fine when we disable freesync.

I imagine it has to do with a person's monitor.  

Plus if you don't even have a size sample of 1 - since on your own admission you don't (yet) own a FreeSync monitor - how can you jump to conclusions on what is the issue here? Or even better say it's a hardware - monitor - issue? So my monitor is what? Racist? It doesn't like x264 video playback and only tears there while he likes other content/programs and is ok with it?