cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

divinebaboon
Journeyman III

XFX RX580 intermittent blackscreen in game FIXED

Edit: September 2019. The issue came back so I RMA'd it to XFX, they were able to reproduce the issue via running Unigen Heaven 4.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have a XFX GTS Black Core Edition Radeon RX 580 and I've been getting intermittent blackscreen since as long as I can remember:

Here are three videos to demonstrate what I am talking about:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wdEiUAliX6oL1Ks3Z4oAg8qG4n19uta9

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19MkrvRMPrqlF56pWq8mPjnmDGpXfwjVR

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Let-JJyanVqizVamhXfHs3z2mhzZ1e__

The AMD driver version in those three videos are 18.9.2.

I have also downgraded to 18.5.1, an older version of the driver, hoping it would provide a more stable performance. It however did not fix the issue:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gCpqmtWERYw9gaf4vlT705XEboLFbAYD

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14jV4HfoE_-y7wArfp04RoUduox_0v0Jk

BUT, Today I discovered this comment on the linus forums, and so I tried it out and IT WORKED! No more blackscreen!

To recap the steps in Wattaman:

pushing the power limit up to +50%, increasing the fan RPMs and Lowering the temp target, as well as Undervolting the VRAM from 950mv to 900mv and lowering the Core voltage to 1137mv instead of 1150mv

10 Replies
kudaba
Adept I

I've been fighting with this for months as well. I used the lower temp target solution before but found that it really dropped the power of the card. I played around and found that -6% on the frequency is enough to keep it stable at extremely high settings without touching any other settings. However, even at that, when it's running at a stable ~1320Mhz it's STILL slower than an RX480 running at 1280 Mhz. This is the first and last time I buy anything from XFX.

0 Likes

Yeah this is great you found a solution, but it's really laughable that you have to drop the performance of your card at ALL to get it to work properly. I will stay away from these cards as well. Honestly though, it would be nice of you to do your part and at least get the situation communicated to the manufacturer to get their eyes on it so maybe they can release a fix for it.

0 Likes

I have been working with them to try to find some solution and it's been RMAed once already. The main problem is they probably just drop it into a test rig and run furmark or whatever, and I can't get the problem to happen in any benchmarking software, only in real games. I get the feeling that memory usage is part of the problem since the issue appears more at higher quality levels. If I can keep a game under ~2.5GB of gpu memory the problem becomes very rare, above 3GB it starts happening more frequently. Most benchmarking software only test one part at a time which may be why they don't show the problem.

0 Likes

Went through another RMA. So far had a whole night of gaming without any issue. Also, the -6% was enough to get WoW to be stable but it didn't help with Divinity Original Sin 2. I played divinity for 2-3 hours with no issue and have WoW sitting with maxed settings for 10-20 minutes with no issue.

I'll reply if I get the issue again, but it looks like it might have been a bad batch of cards.

Great to hear! so happy you got it working properly and are gaming happily now! hopefully it holds up. I went ahead and got me a GTX 1070 hahaha. Couldn't stomach the AMD problems I was having. I bought a 570, then a 580, and now I have a GTX1070 all within two weeks of each other. I was having all kinds of problems with radeon OVERLAY and RELIVE recording, and all kinds of crap with both the 570 and 580. Had to go gack to team green, it was a fun experiment but I'm over it. You really cannot beat the price for the performance you get with the 570/580 cards right now though. I simply have other requirements when it comes to recording / overclocking and overall stability that the Nvidia seems to be awesome with.

abitofperson
Journeyman III

Soo i went through the process of trying literally everything. I've got a laptop running a ryzen 1700x and an RX580, the laptop display was working fine while my 2k viewsonic kept intermittently black screening - I found a really simple fix: 

In RADEON SETTINGS, Display - there is a setting for Color Depth - changed it from 10 bpc to 8 bpc (its only an 8bit monitor) aaaand well problem solved, hope it helps. 

My hair turned grey!! Thanks abitofperson <3

0 Likes
leogardenzio
Journeyman III

Im dealing with a similar issue with my XFX RX 580 8BG Black edition. Every once and a while when gaming on high settings the screen goes black, the fans goes 100% and there's no signal to HDMI. I need to turn off the pc and wait for like 10 min or so because if I turn on right the way, no signal remains with the fan noises going nuts. Its not the power supply, already replaced it, right now using a Cooler Master 550w. It seems that it just take longer to see the issue. I don't know, Im getting crazy.

0 Likes

Hi i was having the same issue with my RX580 from MSI, in my case testing different types of voltage from core and memory, as well as memory clock give me a more stable gameplay on warthunder on max settings. It may be a possible Fix for you the ideal could may be testing different configuration at MSI afterburner.

Note: this black screen that you have is the same that was happening with me, but only at warthunder on max settings, anny other game runs smooth without anny problems. IT occours every time after 5-10 min of gameplay whem i change veiche.

In  my case my sollution was actually changing my windows version, i was using an old one that was capapble of runnig gears of war 4. So after i change my win10 to a new and updated one this issue only occours two times, in which i made this fine tuning that a mention before and since then i haven't had that issue again.

0 Likes
ScotchFury
Challenger

Is the clock or memory speeds much higher than other RX 580’s? Seems crazy that out of the box you have to change or ‘tweak’ so many things!? I would of thought maybe a slight fan tweak or Turn off Zero Fan..? Not good especially with so many people seemingly having the same issue.

I run 1360MHz @ 1080mV & MEM @ 1800Mhz w LVL 1 timing, +50 Power.. Albeit with a fairly aggressive fan curve to cope with 33C+ summer temps. But runs stable.

What temps was your card peaking at? I find mine although 570 not a 580, doesn’t particularly like 83 - 84c ran a lot better when hitting max 79 - 80. The standard fan profile is fine in 24 - 26 but useless when ambient is up around 33 - 35c
After seeing your video of it cutting in & out it’s the exact same thing my ASUS RX 570 does if I try to push for to high clock feq and or drop the voltage a little low.

Ive found heat and memory timing & MEM V tend to have corrupted textures or distorted picture before AMD Wattman resets.Stock fan curve for my 570. Nice n’ quiet but useless in 30+ summer heat...Stock fan curve for my 570. Nice n’ quiet but useless in 30+ summer heat...

0 Likes