Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xzardozx
Journeyman III

thinking my processor went bad

My pc was running fine for a long time

recently however its been acting up.

out of the blue the monitors keyboard/mouse/headset turn off while the PC keeps running

Only thing that gets me back is a full reset

in event viewer the only error im getting is:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

recently its been doing this about every 20-25minutes

Im kind of at the end of my rope as to what it is

My specs are:

ASRock AB350M AM4 AMD

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1600BBAEBOX

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING 08G-P4-6775-KR,

8GB GDDR5 iCX - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M

Thanks for the help...Most of this should still be under warranty if its a hardware issue..

I never overclocked or messed with bios either

Also the temps seem fine...

0 Likes
4 Replies

This is Microsoft answer to a similar diagnosis from Windows : WHEA-LOGGER - Microsoft Community

Hi,

This error indicates that there is a hardware problem.   A machine check exception indicates a  computer hardware error that occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects a hardware problem.   

Note:  WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture. 

Some of the main hardware problems which cause machine check exceptions  include:

• System bus errors (error communicating between the processor and the motherboard)
  • Memory errors that may include parity and error correction code (ECC) problems.   Error checking ensures that data is stored correctly in the RAM; if information is corrupted, then random errors occur.
  • Cache errors in the processor; the cache stores important data and code. If this is corrupted, errors often occur.
  • Poor voltage regulation (i.e. power supply problem, voltage regulator malfunction, capacitor degradation)
  • Damage due to power spikes
  • Static damage to the motherboard
  • Incorrect processor voltage setting in the BIOS (too low or too high)
  • Overclocking
  • Permanent motherboard or power supply damage caused by prior overclocking
  • Excessive temperature caused by insufficient airflow (possibly caused by fan failure or blockage of air inlet/outlet)
  • Improper BIOS initialization (the BIOS configuring the motherboard or CPU incorrectly)
  • Installation of a processor that is too much for your motherboard to handle (excessive power requirement, incompatibility)
  • Defective hardware that may be drawing excessive power or otherwise disrupting proper voltage regulation
I suggest you to follow the below troubleshooting:
  • Update the BIOS and the drivers for the motherboard chipset.  
  • Update all the hardware drivers, if updates are available from your manufacturer.
  • Check the temperature inside the computer to make sure your processor and related peripherals are not overheating.
  • Check the fan on your CPU to make sure it is properly attached to the CPU.
  • If you have overclocked your CPU,  reset your settings to the default settings.
  • Make sure you power supply fan is working correctly.

Try running MEMTEST86 to eliminate bad RAM Memory. Afterwards download a free diagnostic program called OCCT to check your CPU, GPU, and PSU for problems.

You might want to afterwards use PRIME95 which over-stresses your CPU and see if it is stable under very heavy stress.

0 Likes

Forgive my scrubness..

ive run the OCCT and it wont let me finish the run because it turns off on me... im not sure how im gonna continue that...I havent ran the memtest yet

Im still very new at all of this and not sure what i should be looking for/at...

Sorry    I did run prime95 which im also not 100% how it works ( i just boot it up ? idk whats next)

Again sorry for my scrubness

0 Likes

Don't worry, but it is good to know you are not that computer savvy. It helps Users who will try to help you.

1) When the computer shuts down, does it shut down as though you disconnected power or hit the "Power off" switch or the "Restart" switch when you ran the OCCT Test?

2) Which test were you running on OCCT when the computer shut down?

3) How long did the test run before it shut down?

4) In Windows "Documents" see if there is a folder that was created called "OCCT" with a bunch of graphic images. If there is, see if you can upload each image.

5) Also just upload the regular OCCT image before you start any tests.

6) Were you able to see the Temperatures when OCCT was running a test? Were they very high either on the CPU or GPU?

7)  When the computer starts, do you hear any types of BEEPS when powering on?

8) DId you personally build this computer yourself or did you purchase an entire Computer already made from a retailer?

0 Likes

I couldnt even let the OCCT test go as my computer would just stop and i would have to reboot to get visual again..For some reason my computer would continue working...But just not show me a damn thing :/

It only ran for maybe 4 minutes tops on the test..

I did go out and got a new processor ( i upgraded while i was at it )

and the errors seem to have gone now..

i've also (knock on wood) havent crashed for a good hour now...But the nights still young and we're staying optimistic

Hopefully that was the issue..( i could have tried reseating it and maybe reapplying the paste as it was the same paste that came with the heatsink that was on there...   not sure if its a good idea to use the same heatink/paste or get my own)

Thanks for your help!:)

0 Likes