2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 3:37 PM by jigzaw

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U locked to 400MHz on battery

mohxinn

Hi,

I have HP Pavilion 15-cw0002 laptop with AMD Ryzen 2500U CPU but I have major issue running the laptop on battery. I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Whenever I turn on the laptop when disconnected from the AC adapter, the CPU speed is capped to 400MHz. The speed does not change no matter how CPU intensive program I run. It is only remedied by a restart or by plugging in the laptop.

I am attaching screenshot from CPU-Z showing CPU speed & Mainboard//BIOS info. I have also attached a screenhshot of Windows Task Manager showing the low CPU speed According to CPU-Z it seems that the multiplier is set to x4 which seems incorrect or?

Steps I have taken so far to remedy the issue:

- Install all available BIOS updates

- Install all available Windows Updates

- Install latest available drivers for all components

- Reset Windows several times

The issue seems to be persistent. Is this a know issue? What can I do to fix for this?

Regards,

Mohsin

• Re: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U locked to 400MHz on battery
          jozan

I'm having exact same issue with this laptop on a 2300u. It throttles down as soon as you unplug it. If you have Task Manager open you'll see it drop down and then spike back up. If you have the laptop turned off or in standby then it won't throttle back up until you reboot or plug it back in. Very frustrating and I haven't gotten anywhere with HP support on it yet. I've tried completely resetting the windows install and different power options (even setting minimum CPU level) but it seems to ignore all that. So.. I'm wondering if it's more of a firmware issue in the chipset (also interesting that it's throttled when unplugging it even when completely powered off)

• Re: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U locked to 400MHz on battery
            jigzaw

I have a different HP model that also have the Ryzen 5 2500U. On power, the Vega 8  won't go past 400 Mhz running CAD, but if I run the the GPU-Z ?pcie render test it does go beyond  +800 mhz.