9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 7:51 AM by fsadough

AMD W5100 Graphics card causing Microsoft Excel 2016 Crashes

the_rexpert

OK, friends, this is an unusual one so bear with me and feel free to ask whatever questions you come up with.

First, I am legally blind (I have really, really bad eyesight[20/250 Lt, 20/350 Rt corrected]).

Next, a rundown of my system: (Newly assembled in July of 2018 - less than 8 weeks ago)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor on a Gigabyte AUROS x470 Motherboard with 16GB of Corsair Vengence RAM and the AMD W5100 graphics card.

I am using Windows 10, v1803 build 17134.228 with all updates.

To this I have connected 2 Acer ED273 Abidpx 27” Curved Monitors.

The first monitor is configured normally. The second is used exclusively using Windows Magnifier app at 600% magnification.

The problem:

Microsoft Excel 2016 (no other app that I am aware of has this issue) crashes after making some changes to any file. This has been an issue since I built this system.

Why I believe this is a graphics card issue:

At first I thought it was an issue with MS Office. I have been through every conceivable test, repair, re-installation, etc. to no avail.

I came across an article that suggested it could be a network issue (as I have all of my documents stored on a server). I moved the file I was trying to edit to a local drive and the problem continued.

However, I noticed that just before there was a crash, I had what I can only describe is a jump or a flicker on the screen (on the magnifier monitor).

I tried closing the magnifier app and zooming the document enough to see it and made many changes to the document with no issues. I reopened the magnifier, made three or four changes and Excel crashed. I repeated this several times before concluding that this is definitely the issue. Although I can zoom a document enough within Excel to make changes, I cannot see the menus well enough to effectively use the app.

Something else I have noticed the last couple of weeks; I do not turn off the computer or let it sleep (because of an issue with the Thermaltake Fusion software). I do lock the system when away and I have a slideshow on the lock screen and the screens sleep after 30 minutes. Three or four times a week I come back to the system to find that one screen or both do not wake properly from sleep. This doesn't appear to be a problem with the actual monitors as I can turn them off and back on and the problem continues. The only solution I have found so far is a system reboot.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for all your assistance.