8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 2:40 PM by amdmatt

RaidXpert reboot and shutdown issue

jm18190

Hello all,

I just opened an AMD support ticket but I thought I might get an answer here as well.

I am having an issue with the RaidXpert chipset driver install. Once the drivers are installed, my PC will no longer allow me to power off, restart, or hibernate properly. Windows will shut down (the rebooting or shutdown screen will go black) but my PC remains powered on requiring me to do a hard shutdown to get it to turn off. RaidXpert appears to be working without issue otherwise, and my disk drives are online without fault. Once I restore Windows to a point before the driver install operation returns to normal. Running AMDCleanupUtility does not correct the issue after installing the driver package, and so far the only way to fix the issue is using Windows Restore to go to a previous point. I did not have this issue when I first installed RaidXpert when the PC was built, but I can no longer get back to that working state.

When I hard shut down my PC my motherboard goes into failsafe mode resetting RAM speed to 2400mhz as if there was an overclock or hardware error, but I have confirmed there isn't one. The issue is purely caused by the RaidXpert chipset driver install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Troubleshooting performed:

-Restore windows (reboot/poweroff functionality restored)

-AMDCleanupUtility to clear all drivers

-Install latest chipset driver 18.10.0418

-Reboot

-Install latest amd-nvme-raid-chipset-driver_9.2.0.41

-Reboot (reboot fault begins)

-Install latest amd-nvme-raid-chipset-driver_9.2.0.41

-Install RaidXpert drivers that I believe were used when system was built (Radeon-software-crimson-raidxpert-relive-17.30-09aug)

System info:

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme bios v3008

CPU - Ryzen 7 1800x

GPU - Vega 64

PSU - Corsair AX860

RAM - 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz DDR4 running at 3200mhz and rated timings/power

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 (latest update)

Storage:

Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500gb (boot drive)

2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb in RAID0

Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB

Thank you,

• Re: RaidXpert reboot and shutdown issue
          amdmatt

I would stop using the AMDCleanuptool as that is more for display drivers than Chipset or Raid drivers.

Can you try using DDU to remove your display drivers and then clean installing Crimson 18.4.1? I say this as i had a similar issue with a similar system and the above suggestion resolved my issue.

jm18190

Sorry for the delay. I've been chasing a bunch of issues that turns out weren't problems at all. I thought I actually had a ram failure causing this because I had a Q-code 33 on my motherboard. I was troubleshooting that until I figured out that enabling firmwareTPM causes a miscellaneous ram error code on the motherboard. Setting to discreteTPM puts it back to the normal 24 Q-code. I'll be having a chat with ASUS about that one.

So I tried cleaning with DDU, installing Adrenaline 18.4.1, then attempted RaidXpert install. It failed halfway through (which it always does if installing after the Adrenaline package). This was the info from the log report.

Packages for install

AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility

Final Status: Success

Version of Item: 9.2.0.00023

Size: 200 Mbytes

Balanced Power Plan

Final Status: Success

Version of Item: 2.02.0000

Size: 1 Mbytes

AMD AHCI compatible SATA RAID Driver

Final Status: Fail

Version of Item: 9.2.0.00041

Size: 1 Mbytes

So I reset CMOS, changed SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, and attempted reinstall of raidXpert again without doing anything else. This time install was a perfect success. So I guess it needs to be set to AHCI before installing the package if Adrenaline package has been installed.

Rebooting/powering off also began working again, but of course my RAID volume was now missing. So I set to RAID mode again. Powered on, checked the volume; all looked good. Rebooted and.... It started hanging again. Set it back to AHCI and rebooting was fixed again. So it appears the power down issue is tied to the installation of raidXpert with the RAID volume being active in Windows at the same time.

I have gone back to a restore point pre-RaidXpert install to have the RAID be active and power off/rebooting working correctly. Im starting to wonder if there might be an issue with the latest Windows update. Been reading about a lot of driver issues lately.  There's no power off problems when rebooting from bios or anytime pre-windows loading in. I need to try and see if still happens when powering off from safe mode.

amdmatt

Can you provide more information about what Raid configuration you are using? In addition, what hard drive is the OS installed on, is that outside of your array?

jm18190

- Windows is on the the 960 Pro m.2 NVMe and is not part of any array. Only used for Windows and programs.

- The two 850 Evo's are in raid 0 and are used just for additional fast storage not worthy or too large for the m.2. Things that won't hurt if the raid ever fails.

- The SSHD is set up as a legacy drive and is used purely for a backup drive to certain files on the m.2 and RAID. I'm just using Windows to manage the backups. It's not set up as a hot spare or anything else.

amdmatt

Ah, that type of configuration (OS Boot driver outside of array + Raid) was not supported and could explain your issues if you used the wrong drivers. Try using these Chipset/Raid drivers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              jm18190

Crap.. I originally read that one as SATA only for x370 or both for gen2/Threadripper. When I get home I'll be able tell exactly which one I picked but I'm pretty sure it's not that one.

jm18190

You sir, are awesome.

I definitely didn't read this part:

This driver requires the operating system/boot device to be included in the RAID array. Users seeking a standalone NVMe boot device and a separate SATA RAID storage array should use the “SATA RAID Only” driver below.

and was using the 9.2.0.41 driver instead of the 9.2.0.23. It kept throwing a failed array #3 in every time for the NVMe drive every time I would boot into Windows so I should have paid more attention to that. Everything works properly now and the trouble installing with RAID mode enabled no longer exists, which now makes a lot more sense.  The weird thing is Radeon-Software-crimson-raidxpert-relive-17.30-09aug.exe was doing the same exact thing as the newer 9.2.0.41 driver, and it worked flawlessly when I initially installed it back in October with the exact same setup. I don't think there was another package I could have been using at that time.

But anyways, apparently I was the problem all along.

Thanks for your help!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    amdmatt

Really glad to hear that!

I have recently ventured into the world of Nvme Raid 0 & RaidXpert, so am still learning things myself. Just a short while ago this type of configuration was not supported, however in the last few weeks we added support and updated our RaidXpert drivers on the website, so it's not a surprise that you missed it as perhaps the drivers weren't even there last time you looked.

Please let me know if you have any further issues.