AnsweredAssumed Answered

Compaq Presario driver, graphics card upgrade possibility?

Question asked by newslogger44 on Apr 11, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2018 by newslogger44

Hi!

I have a backup laptop Compaq Presario 2700 with Windows XP, 32-bit which, unfortunately, due to its limited HDD space (74.5 GB and with 1 GB RAM) cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 or higher. Apparently, Vista will soon no longer be supported, so there is no point in upgrading to that.

According to the Presario's dxdiag readout, the graphics card is a Mobility Radeon AGP (0x4C59), main driver: ati2dvag.dll version 6.14.0010.6334 (Engish), Date 3/30/2003

However, according to the information on these websites:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/update-graphics-driver-windows-xp.html

https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds002891

it looks as though I may be able to upgrade to a more recent graphics card, namely the ATI RADEON family Display Driver for Windows XP (32-bit) as long as the computer already has the Integrated ATI RV610 graphics card.

My question is whether or not I can download and install the Integrated ATI RV610 graphics card in order to permit the downloading of the ATI RADEON family Display Driver for Windows XP (32-bit), or am I putting the cart before the horse? I may be grasping at straws here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My purpose for the potential upgrade is to hopefully allow the viewing of high-definition and Blu-ray movies through the laptop's VGA output into a converter and then into the HDMI input of my HDTV. Currently, most (but not all) of these hi-def videos appear onscreen as jittery, stop-motion, and fragmented due to the limitations of the legacy Mobility Radeon.

I have previously been informed that an upgrade to the Mobility Radeon is impossible, yet I wonder if the information indicated on the aforementioned websites may countermand or outdate that advice.

Your advice and assistance would be very much appreciated, thanks.

SW

Outcomes