2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 8:19 PM by elstaci

Ryzen 5 2400G defaults to 3840x2160 resolution on HDMI port.

russellrc

I've tried this brand new CPU in 2 different motherboards with the same problem - HDMI port tries to sync with monitor at 4K.   Everything works fine, DVI port on motherboard is at 1080p.  I plugged the HDMI cable in to 4K TV and it works fine at that resolution.  I can boot Windows 10 with a 1080p monitor plugged in to DVI and plug another 1080p monitor into HDMI after Windows is up and it syncs at 1920x1080.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Thanks

• Re: Ryzen 5 2400G defaults to 3840x2160 resolution on HDMI port.
          shilp

I'm getting the exact same issue with a Ryzen 3 2200G on an MSI B350M.  No resolution yet from MSI.  Checked MOBO out with the loaner A9 chip sent by AMD in the boot kit and it worked at 1080p.  I'm fairly confident this is a CPU problem.  I just don't know exactly why.

• Re: Ryzen 5 2400G defaults to 3840x2160 resolution on HDMI port.
            elstaci

In Windows 10 Settings under "Display" do you have it set for 1920x1080 or is it set at "Recommended" which might be at 4k resolution since you have a 4k Monitor connected.

I don't believe the CPU has much to do with the Resolution output to a monitor. The GPU installed and its drivers is what determines the Resolution output on a monitor. Plus how the GPU software is configured for the resolution you want running.

I realize that both the CPU and GPU work together as explained in this comment at a Forum: Tom's Hardware Forum

Darkseiders said:

What is your CPU? More stress on the GPU=more on the CPU.

Not really true there. Higher FPS does cause more CPU stress, but if the GPU stress comes from a high resolution, it can lower the CPU usage due to lower FPS. What the CPU does for the GPU isn't affected by the resolution.