8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2018 1:53 PM by hittheroadjack

Vega 8 on Windows 7/8

knowbody42

Do any drivers exist that would allow a Vega 8 (in the Ryzen 2500U) to work properly under either Windows 7 or 8?

Because one thing I won't be doing is using Windows 10. I refuse to willingly install spyware.

• Re: Vega 8 on Windows 7/8
          black_zion

Decidedly not for Windows 8, even Microsoft has dropped support for it as they push Windows 10. Doubtful for 7, as these are mobile units and Microsoft does not license Windows 7 anymore.

knowbody42

I mean, they do have Windows 7 drivers for the desktop Vega cards - which do install on Windows 8.1.

I would think if the GPU architecture is the same as desktop Vega, it can be done without much extra work.

But I'm not kidding when I say I will not use Windows 10. I'd rather use Windows 7/8 using the Microsoft Basic driver than willingly install spyware.

black_zion

The difference is these are APUs, and as mobile APUs, they often have customized divers from the OEMs to support their specific features.

As far as Windows 10 goes, there are several programs you can use to kill their spying, and compared to Google, they are nowhere near as bad.

knowbody42

I'm going to make this abundantly clear: I will not use Windows 10. It's simply not happening.

I'm aware there are programs that attempt to disable the spyware And maybe they even disable most of it, but I don't think you can disable all of it. And I shouldn't have to, anyway.

I also don't consider "well, they're not as bad as X" to be a valid argument. It doesn't matter if they're not as bad. It's still bad and I want nothing to do with it.

And the spyware is also not the extent of what I don't like about Windows 10. There are other things that I don't really want to get into right now, except to make it perfectly clear that I will not install Windows 10.

I just want to know whether there are drivers for Vega 8 that will run on Windows 7/8. Because Windows is still necessary for games (I was hoping Vulkan would put a stop to the dependence on Microsoft).

But if there aren't any drivers for it, I will either use the Microsoft Basic driver on Windows 7/8, or move to Linux. Windows 10 is not an option.

I'll be running games on Windows 7/8, using a system with a graphics card that actually has drivers for Windows 7/8.

And if that's not the Vega 8 GPU in the Ryzen 2500U, it'll be something else, and I'll just use my HP X360 for other things. But I am not using Windows 10.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  hittheroadjack

Any updates on this? Has anybody tried to install Windows 7 or 8 on a laptop with 2500U or 2700U?