84 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 3:52 PM by hazonfire

Crashing video driver Ryzen 5 2500U Vega 8 HP x360 laptop

proxyx99

This ia a brand new laptop: HP ENVY x360 15.6" 2-in-1 Laptop - Silver (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/Windows 10) purchased 2 weeks ago at BestBuy.

More Information (BestBuy page)

• 2GHz AMD Ryzen 5 2500U quad-core processor and 8GB RAM deliver solid and reliable performance for everyday computing and smooth multitasking
      • 1TB hard drive provides tons of storage space for your most important files, photos, music tracks, videos, and more
      • 15.6-inch IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit edge-to-edge glass display with 1920 x 1080 resolution is multitouch-enabled allowing you to create and compose with a stylus pen
      • AMD Radeon Vega graphics ensures optimal performance for all your gaming marathons

details:

HP ENVY x360 - 15-bq108ca - HP Store Canada

Well, truth is its performance is everything but solid and reliable. Forget optimal performance as well. From day 1 video driver is nothing but trouble. This is my 4th laptop (3 exchanges) all for display and video related issues. Original video driver crashed continuously on all 4. Disappearing desktop, auto changes in resolution, flicker, black and white screens, random reboots.

Driver package is marked 17.7 in Radeon Panel. Driver versions are 22.19.655.0 Oct 5. HP website lists a (newer?) video driver 22.19.655.2 Rev.A dated also Oct. 5. Updated driver from MS (via Win10 update) is 22.19.655.1 dated Oct. 9 (!?). Which one is the latest??? The one with the latest date or higher numericals?

Anyway, I tried them all. All equally unstable, all displaying the same erratic behavior, all having video playback issues (YouTube and local) with pixelation (pink and green), freezing, stuttering, rebooting... I've had them all. Updated to latest BIOS v.13. No change. Uninstalled drivers in normal way as well as using AMD cleanup utilities... no change. All 4 laptops factory installed drivers and all crashing for the very same reason and in exactly same scenarios. Performed full HP recovery on one to start totally fresh, factory setup again, noting gets better.

All video related stuff, YouTube behave the same... or rather misbehave in every imaginable way. Never had a comparable piece of junk software (read: video driver) in my hands before. This is totally unpredictable. Blows up any moment. Original driver 655.0 showed also terrible banding. 655.1 improves on that that but video playback and stability is no better.

I'm wondering what AMD is going to do to fix this problem. Laptops are out there, sold and waiting for any sign of support. But there's nothing coming so far…

How is this possible that new freshly release CPU and chipset has so many problems, yet no effort has been made, no announcement of any kind of upcoming fixes?

Are we supposed to cook our own drivers...? Complaints on HP support forum result in HP sending to AMD... Where will AMD send me now, back to HP?

• Re: Crashing video driver Ryzen 5 2500U Vega 8 HP x360 laptop
          haplo602

Hello, I have the bq100nc version of the laptop (256Gb NVMe SSD, otherwise the same). I have found out the hard way, that the Windows update driver for Win10 1709 is about the only one working properly on my specimen.

The big difference is the LCD panel. There are about 4 different panels in these laptops, BOE, Chi Mei (the one I have), LG and AU Optronics. Some of them support FreeSync (LG, AU) some of them don't (BOE, Chi Mei). It seems that some of them will work with AMD Adrenaline drivers 18.1.1 and 18.2.1 (HP Envy x360 Vega 8 with Adrenalin 18.1.1 Drivers : Amd ) and some don't (mine does not).

I'd suggest that you get HWinfo and check the panel. If it is NOT LG or AU, return the laptop.

My Chi Mei version works with HP drivers and the ones that come from Windows Update for 1709 windows 10 version (HP site has only 1703 for Raven Ridge but 1709 for Kaby Lake).

The only way is to pressure HP to release newer drivers, and it is up to AMD to apply that pressure as the Envy was the main marketing driver ... It is tainting the great performance of the APU now.

proxyx99

Mine is BOE. Color is OK but backlight bleeding is excessive, not acceptable, tried several, Chi Mei is yellowish (no decent white). I liked LG and AUO too. Just couldn't get it/find it, only on display. Would like to compare to LG, AUO in terms of bleeding. Impossible in store.

I've seen LG's on Intel ver. of x360 but not on Ryzen. AUO only on 13 inch HP's.

Could you elaborate on panels and your take on quality?

To check the monitor/ panel type there is no need for HWinfo, you can do it in Dev. Mgr.

Monitors >> (properties) >> Details >> Hardware Ids

kingfish

You have a two week old laptop and the manufacturers graphics drivers don't work?

Recommendation:

"AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from the notebook manufacturer's web site."

"If the current operating system (OS) is not the OS originally installed on the laptop, it may not meet all the requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the laptop manufacturer for supported OS and graphics drivers for your specific laptop."

"AMD provides a reference/generic graphics driver for AMD Mobility Radeon & APU graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver."

haplo602

Hello,

Are you a bot ? If not, please collect some facts before replying.

The time I own the laptop has nothing to do with how long the laptop is on

the market. AMD CEO Lisa Su bragged about the laptop last year November, so

it is available for at least 3 months. Also on the HP website for the Envy

x360, the Intel variants have GPU drivers marked for windows 10 1709 (fall

creators update) while the Raven Ridge ones are still marked 1703. There

were at least 3 driver versions from AMD in the timeframe. For a new

product, early drivers are always buggy and missing some optimizations, I

get that. But if they are not updated (HP sleeping for some reason) then

early adopters get pissed and some bad reviews will be the result (there

are multiple sites with negative or unconvincing reviews of the Envy x360).

That the best driver is from Windows Update is also a telling story. There

are numerous users on the internet showcasing success with 18.1.1 and

18.2.1 Adrenaline GPU drivers with a 15-30% performance increase over the

old 17.7 ... I bought the APU specifically for the advertised GPU and CPU

performance but I am denied the full potential because AMD is unable to get

good drivers out to the consumers. The HW side of the Envy x360 is superb,

I have no complaints there (which cannot be said about the past attempts

from HP). It's the drivers that are the huge issue...

You can see on HP and AMD forums people that have various problems with the

laptop exactly because of display drivers.

regards

haplo602

kingfish

Display drivers that were changed/customized by HP to function with that laptop. They are not the same driver as what is offered by AMD. Anyhow, no need to argue the point...it is what it is. Good luck.

proxyx99

Drivers are digitally signed either by AMD or Microsoft, not HP. They are written and released by AMD, not HP.

Customization? Where is it? It is a Radeon panel... and Radeon comes from AMD. It's an AMD's trademark, not HP, is it not? Not a single HP dll there.

HP is a conveyor belt, nothing more.

AMD has a history of poor support, playing deaf and blind, everyone knows that. This is not news.

Hope was, that having a new AMD CPU, first such release since a very, very long time, they will pay attention to detail and product quality.

Hope was, that reliability and functionality will not be compromised. Not the case, again.

Intel has excellent products and excellent, timely support. Will AMD ever learn to respect its customers?

Or will they just drop Ryzen prices, like they always do, to "fix" the problem.

elstaci

Kingfish is correct about laptop drivers. OEM (HP in this case) uses Certified or Customized AMD drivers so that it will work within the HP Laptop's Heat and Power requirements. AMD Generic Laptop drivers don't take that fully into account since there are so many different types of laptops. AMD gets input from the OEM's so that AMD Laptop drivers will work on their laptops.

You may want to contact HP Support and ask them if you install AMD generic driver and not OEM drivers if your laptop is damaged whether it will be covered under warranty. I know that Asus said the warranty will be voided in that case. FYI according to another Forum that is pretty standard now a days.

proxyx99

You are correct in that sense that display driver is often also a chipset driver...

It is possible though to update only a display side of it. The case has been made with HP as well, but ultimately drivers come from AMD.

In its recovery panel HP lists a bunch of drivers and none of them (except for recovery software) comes from HP... chipset, display. sound, peripherals, all provided by 3rd party... so it's a lame argument that HP has some special, HP only, requirements. All Ryzen 5 2500U CPU products have the same driver , same with Intel CPU's.

Acer also released Ryzen laptops. Are you suggesting Acer has its own Radeon driver? That's laughable.

The reason for bringing it to AMD (forum) is to raise awareness, both on the side of users and AMD support. To flag an issue.

It's an AMD CPU, AMD chipset, AMD drivers performing on subpar level as compared to Intel or any industry standards, in public's eye at least.

And I want answers... and actions to have it fixed.

I tested 6 HP x360 laptops with Ryzen 5 2500U.

NONE of them could play a Youtube video as well as local videos without stuttering, pixelation and freezing.

Tell me this is normal. Is it AMD?

Am I asking for too much?

ov2rey

It's sound weird. When you tell us this "OEM (HP in this case) uses Certified or Customized AMD drivers so that it will work within the HP Laptop's Heat and Power requirements."

How come AMD Radeon setting interface still checking AMD server for newer driver update? instead from HP?

And in the past those AMD support site for mobile driver can be installed on previous generation mobile display? How would you explain this?

AMD support site do list Notebook driver, but Vega mobile driver not listed.

I believe HP R&D aren't that stupid that won't follow the chipset vendor guideline when designing laptop and number of power phase are require for the ryzen mobile.

I have encounter same issue as above user. Playback Youtube will freeze sometimes and please do not tell me HP is the one written the display driver.

Best regards,

ov2rey

elstaci

This person that posted this information used to head the Repair dept of a Laptop Manufacturer. This is his explanation as to why you should use the Laptop's drivers instead of the generic.

Please note this is from NVIDIA FORUM but the information is the same for AMD Laptops.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

This is the only site your drivers should come from (All of them)

You have a laptop; you should not attempt to "update" the driver or OS unless it is specifically listed on the manufacturer's website under your exact model#. If not, then issues such as yours (or much worse) will arise. (ESPECIALLY with Asus, MSI, HP/Compaq, older Gigabyte, Sony, and Lenovo units)

This is because the OEM manufacturer is the manufacturer of the graphics device (card); not Nvidia, which only produces the physical "chip" to these manufacturers. Vram, PCB, VRM, trace, and cooling are all designed by the OEM manufacturer; thus is considered as "proprietary" hardware. In which; has it's own thermal and power limits that can be effected with use of 3rd party (vanilla) drivers and can damage or lower the performance of the hardware.

Run DDU to uninstall the "updated" Vanilla driver pack and install the driver via the laptop manufacturer's websiteunder your exact model#. Mobile units are not like their desktop cousins; thus cannot be treated as such. When using mobile platforms you want to ALWAYS use manufacturer approved drivers as they are often modified for use with your proprietary hardware; as well as, fit within your machines power and thermal limits. Do Not allow GFE or Windows to install your drivers for you.

As stated within the Nvidia driver patch notes since R304:

"This is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."

<<<Most Important>>>
                                        "IF" your laptop model does not list Windows 10 drivers/Bios available for your exact model# on the "manufacturer's website" then revert back to the OEM OS!! (Also stated within #8 of the Forum Sticky)

-Download both the Nvidia driver "AND" the Intel driver found on Manufacturer's site (not here, not via GFE) under your "specific" model# laptop and save them to desktop.
                                        -Download/install DDU
                                        -Disable Automatic updates (switch off your wifi) if on Win10
                                        -Run DDU completely removing BOTH the Intel and Nvidia drivers (in safe mode)
                                        -Reboot when asked
                                        -Keeping wifi disabled (again; "IF" on Win10) install the Intel Driver pack (required) as the Intel drivers must be fully functional "prior" to installing the Nvidia graphics drivers.
                                        -Reboot when complete
                                        -Then install the Nvidia driver pack
                                        -Reboot
                                        -Re-enable WiFi / Disable Automatic updates and alerts from GFE (only install drivers located on the manufacturer's website)

I am again repeating Kingfish copy of AMD Recommendation about installing its Generic driver in a laptop:

"AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from the notebook manufacturer's web site."

"If the current operating system (OS) is not the OS originally installed on the laptop, it may not meet all the requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the laptop manufacturer for supported OS and graphics drivers for your specific laptop."

"AMD provides a reference/generic graphics driver for AMD Mobility Radeon & APU graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver."

haplo602

Hello,

Please do remember we are talking about an APU here, this is not a descrete

GPU, so the Nvidia situation DOES NOT APPLY !!! They have no APUs on the

market. In Nvidias case, yes they only ship the chip and template firmware

that the AIB customizes into a card. Again this does not apply in this case.

Ryzen 5 2500u is an APU with integrated graphics core, there's NOTHING the

laptop vendor can do to influence/customize/change the GPU part as it is

delivered as a single chip with the CPU. It goes into a socket or is

soldered to the MB that has to follow AMD specifications to the point.

Power delivery is also specified within some tolerances.

Basically there's nothing HP can influence or change that affects the GPU

part. Yes the Bios/firmware can be a bit different but that's basically

only because of the connected peripherals (battery, I/O, display etc).

Defending AMD position here or rather their inactivity is rather strange.

The HP ENvy x360 was the first laptop on the market with the mobile Ryzen,

it was what seems to be an exclusive deal for HP for some weeks. Was also

used by AMD CEO directly to promote the product.

The result consumers got: outdated drivers that don't even work for some

users, sub-par performance. Hardware is up to the task, all it needs is a

proper and working driver ... MIA !!!

haplo602

Well ... I had an hour long session yesterday to construct my own driver

package by merging the 2. I took the HP provided .inf and .cat and replaced

the .sys/.dll/other files from Adrenaline 18.2.1 ... It installed actually.

However I have no way of checking the versions since I cannot find the

Opengl/Vulkan/OpenCL version details anywhere for 18.2.1 and the driver

package retained the HP packaging information of course

So it IS possible to update just the display driver, if you are lucky, it

will work via manual install/update in device manager. If you are unlucky,

you have to create your own driver package.

BTW the HP drivers seem to be unsigned anyway, when I reinstalled them last

time, I got the prompt about unsigned drivers ....

gsoul5005

After trying multiple drivers.. I found this -> Microsoft Update Catalog
                                  To be the most stable...

You have to manually install it from the device manager.. using the "have disk ".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    ov2rey

I have been using this laptop more than 1 month and no display driver update so far. The driver is very unstable.

haplo602

Latest update on my end: I'll stick to the 2400g/2200g vega driver. After

reading the reddit post about SSDs, I was able to install the 18.1.1

Adrenaline, but that's it. Any newer version fails with Request not

supported. Also after each reboot, I have to reinstall the 18.1.1 as the

display brightness control stops working (and the display dims from max

brightness).

With 17.40 2200G/2400G I have stable everything and also display brightness

works after reboots.

I am giving up on this. Waiting on Linux 4.16 kernel and moving there as my

main OS. I won't bother with Windows anymore except for 2 games .... HP and

AMD have seriously dropped the ball here ... the HW is nice and plenty

capable, it's the drivers that suck as usual (this is the long running

theme here with AMD, HP is even worse).

veronese

On reddit new topic with a new driver for ryzen mobile from dell. I didnt try it yet, but ppl like it. It solves many previus problems on hp envy. Today I ll try it.

ov2rey

Can you share the link here?

proxyx99

Dell has 2 Ryzen laptops in the pipeline.

Inspiron 13 7375 Support for Inspiron 13 7375 2-in-1 | Drivers & downloads | Dell Canada

and Inspiron 17 5775 (no support link on Dell yet).

Both with Ryzen 5 2500.

Drivers are available - links below "view driver details".

AMD Chipset Driver

Video07 Feb 2018 

Version: 17.400.0 ,A00

Release Date: 07 Feb 2018

File Name: _AMD-Chipset-Driver_J3WDC_WIN_17.400.0_A00.EXE

File size: 310.19 MB

Description: This package provides the AMD Chipset Driver and is supported on Inspiron 7375 that is running the following Operating Systems: Windows 10 64-bit.

Restart required

View full driver details

AMD Graphic Driver

Video13 Feb 2018 

Version: 23.20.768.0 ,A01

Release Date: 07 Feb 2018

File Name: _AMD-Graphic-Driver_T3NPK_WIN_23.20.768.0_A01.EXE

File size: 228.6 MB

Description: This package provides AMD Graphics Driver and is supported on Inspiron 7375 running the following Operating System: Windows 10 64bit.

View full driver details

veronese

I tried Dell Graphic driver: display brightness control stops working after computer wakes up and in youtube got black screen.

For now I tried all exist AMD drivers and works well on my laptop only HP original drivers and 17.40 2200G/2400G (but here no AMD control settings).

ov2rey

I am waiting for newer and stable driver from AMD..

haplo602

I have managed to install 18.3.2 Adrenaline ... here's the steps I used

(windows 10 64bit 1709) - without network until step 9 so download all

required packages up front:

1. Uninstall driver for the graphics via Device manager ... select the

Radeon Vega Mobile entry, right click, Uninstall driver, select the

checkbox to also delete driver files. You should end with Microsoft basic

display driver

2. reboot

3. uninstall the AMD software via Control panel/Settings - this will

uninstall also the touchscreen driver and the lid sensor - don't panic when

touchscreen does not work

4. reboot

5. Unpack and install the 18.1.1 driver via Device manager/Update

driver/Have disk etc ... select Radeon RX Vega (almost at the end of the

list), Yes the warning

- this should install fine, however it froze on me in the past, just reboot

and try again

- if it gives the Request not supported error, I have no clue what to do,

it installed fine for me

6. reboot

7. unpack and install the 18.3.2 driver via Device manager (same as 18.1.1

before)

8. reboot

9. You will now have unidentified devices in Device manager, enable network

and let Windows Update look for the drivers, it should install all of them

(right click, update driver, select windows update)

10. Install Radeon settings app: go to the unpack directory and in

Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64 execute the msi package

11. reboot for good measure

Now you should have working 18.3.2. For me they are still stable after a

few reboots (display brightness control works) and I got some better

performance (not much but stable), youtube works, video playback via VLC

works as well.

veronese

Does brightness control works after you close and open display?

And can you enter in radeon setings>gaming>global setings?

dazzxp

Great minds think a like, although i have only had the laptop for 3 days i was disappointed that the drivers from HP including on their site was dated oct 2017, but the drivers them selves was from mid sept i had some stability issues but so happens to be due to the game i mostly play "Stellaris" which apparently doesn't work on Vega but turns out you can use OpenGL so a workaround atleast. So proceeded to update Windows to the creators/fall then had issues with audio tried latest from HP still same issue, in that when resuming from habitation audio doesn't work. However downloading Realteks drivers R2.82 resolved that issue, still disappointed with AMD's drivers but after upgrading Windows it used it's own drivers slightly older 9th sept it was more stable but seeing video posted on youtube of 18.3.1 showing good performance uplift i wanted more... like anyone else i guess.

Tried but got errors like everyone else even tried through device manager, but then saw some people say they got their to work with 18.1.1 so tried that updating through device manager and worked then though i thought i might be pushing it and tried 18.3.2 and that worked. worked great in games but the computer would hard lock when playing videos with the Windows video player, figured it was the software. Since it was still using the old cat software, i randomly tried installing the different setup.exe but didn't work intill i saw your post of the specific location for it. Good thing is when i installed these drivers and software i got a pop saying freesync capable display, which funny enough with the Windows and HP drivers said it was not capable...  Still have the same issue with the windows video player crashing however, but since you said VLC worked i am using that and it too works fine. So thank you haplo602,now the update seems worth it.

I see with the new drivers there is a app setting for Stellaris so gonna give that a try in native DX9 and see if it works now. It does so it's fixed the compatibility issues so i can play the game now without the work around of using the OpenGL command line.

lexus-3141

Version 23.20.817.0 at 08.01.2018 is more stable than default HP.  It's fix my virtualization troubles posted here: atikmpag.sys BSOD 116 on Ryzen 2500u

hammerfest

Ya, AMD is totally ignoring Ryzen Mobile, to an astonishing degree...

Every single AMD Dev that answers question in the forum/reddit, doesn't even reply (even when they ask for feedback), there are a few people who have purchased every Ryzen Mobile system to do performance reviews and the wonderful performance increase and less buggy (but still buggy in other-ways) gameplay point to a GREAT FUTURE, if AMD gave 2 s***s about Ryzen Mobile (the Youtube videos of these Glitchy as all hell drivers are pure gold).

On the flip side, AMD has ALWAYS had EPICLY HORRID Mobile Driver support, especially with HP, so after taking the "HP Customizes the Drivers" statement everyone tries to use as a defense, I did a comparison of files to the other drivers from other MFG (who are also behind in Driver updates), guess what, identical in cases where the driver version is the same (where it counts, the actual driver files excluding MFG installer), so HP is doing.... 0% driver customization as far as I can tell OR, AMD is doing the driver customization for all at the same time to at least make it look like the other MFG touched it somehow... with that said as HP hasn't touched these actual driver files at all, where the hell are the updated drivers from AMD!

Side note, everyone tries to use the "get from laptop MFG" comment, so I decided to do a test, the IT Department where I work still has (but not using thankfully) old P4 desktops in storage, so I asked to see the laptops (never again for either), I went and did a simple Windows 2 Go install on a USB (32bit because old and also no UEFI), did a search on nVidia's website, FOUND DRIVERS, and INSTALLED DRIVERS, for systems back to the GeForce Go 8400m GS (2007 in case you where wondering) all the way to recently decommissioned 600m series nVidia chips, works like a charm, you do get the warning on download that your laptop MFG may have made modifications to drivers for other non mainline features and to get from them if they matter to you, but THEY WORK, they are UPDATED and there are ZERO drivers from AMD for this period for Windows 8/10 (even the "beta" legacy drivers that never went final)... I tried a few Intel graphics driver's, but those where rather hit or miss, or had drivers but stopped at Windows 7 for that time period, which is still acceptable VS what AMD is doing.

Look, I get it, VS the other MFG, AMD's R&D budget and team is small, but, Ryzen and Vega are your bread and butter, and as a LONG TIME (literally my first CPU) fan, PLEASE FIX THIS, you search for Ryzen Mobile on AMD's website and you get like 3 results, and they link to each-other... my next stop is nVidia if AMD cannot get this fiasco sorted out and I HATE nVidia

gsoul5005

Version 23.20.817.256 is very stable. Got it from windows update catalog.

After disabling hardware acceleration in web browsers. The laptop has been rock solid stable for more than 2 days straight. Didnt have a single crash yet after it.

The hardware video portion of the driver seems to be the culprit for these crashes.

kata995

I prefer reading than writing, but buying a €750 hp envy x360 that crashes doesn´t feel good guys. I´ve never had AMD before, fortunately, and I find it disrespectful how the company thinks and treats us. I do not ask for updates every 2 weeks, I just want a stable driver. Am I asking too much, dear AMD?

shabbo

I have the same stuttering and crashing video issues for 6 months now since I purchased this laptop... only happens during video playback or games.  I cannot blame AMD since their drivers have been great for all other parts, but HP controls the quality and driver release on this and AMD is not applying enough pressure to ensure their flagship APU parts are well-received. AMD should just end their partnership with HP

dpgx

Dell Inspiron 13 7375 here, same issue - no updated drivers and the preinstalled are December 2017 unfortunately.  I really wish the Adrenaline drivers contained mobile as well...

rami93

I managed how to install the latest 18.5.1-may23 using the native installer (no forced install, no INF modification) since it  natively supports many 15DD devices (which are our Vega 8 / Vega 8 Mobile series.

Here's how to:

After extracting the installer you need to modify the installer configuration in Config/CIMManifest.xml

I replaced the entry #27 of the devices (which had a 15DD Vega 8 but of a different Subsystem_ID) with the same text in the original HP driver installer:

<td>27</td>

<td>0x15DD</td>

<td>0x83C6</td>

<td>0x1002</td>

<td>0x103C</td>

<td>RV B8 15W FP5 15DD_REV_C4</td>

<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics</td>

<td>0xC4</td>

After this patch, the installer recognises the video card and can install all the software. Since the INF of this driver version also contains these 15DD, and the compatible Device ID driver matches this one, the driver setup is successful.

This is the only more recent driver that I found that doesn't crash after standby. At the first boot after installation, when switching from dimmer to whiter images, the screen goes a bit crazy switching from many luminance and contrast combinations, I think it's a sort of auto-calibration for the screen parameters with this driver.

kata995

Have you had crashes ever since?

smith6612

Unfortunately, I have seen issues with even this driver on the HP ENVY x360. In my case, the driver behaves correctly in general day to day use... until you try to play video. In Microsoft Edge specifically, video tends to pixelate in a green corrupted manner at the start but then play correctly afterwards. What ends up happening to cause a crash is that a second video is played after the first video completes. Browsers like Google Chrome work fine. chrome://gpu in Chrome shows that the devs for that software have apparently seen this issue in other AMD drivers and have a workaround in place to avoid video pixelation (which apparently leads to BSODs here!).

So far I have only attempted testing on 4K video from YouTube, but this is still a game stopper. I have not seen crashes from other activities like using Night Mode or by putting the computer to sleep. But I haven't had the driver installed for more than a couple days. The crash I get is a 0x119Bug Check code, "dxgmms2.sys" and "watchdog.sys" seen in the mix. Clearly an issue with DirectX and the system watchdog not being able to see if video decoding is still occurring. With that said, when the BSOD occurs, I see the video up on screen and the BSOD in the background of the video, so definitely a programming issue still.

Seems we can't win with these drivers right now. The original driver the laptop shipped with, and posted on HP's website would crash just out of the blue when surfing the Internet. I could reliably trigger it to crash by running OpenCL Applications on the GPU. But gaming or video watching was stable, as well as resumption from sleep.

brauliobo

In linux, for freezes, check http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683, basically you need idle=nomwait kernel parameter to fix all hangs (from http://community.amd.com/thread/224000)

jamduv

Hi all,

After the windows updates, I constantly got the BSOD for the video_scheduler_internal_error since after waking from standby and FINALLY got it stable and no more BSOD.

My fix:

1.  Download the latest Radeon™ RX Vega Series drivers for windows 10 (I downloaded the Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July12)

2.  Run the download like you would regularly.

3.  During the install, extract the files to the root of C: (The install usually does that already)

4.  During the install, an error will pop up saying "Error 182 AMD Installer cannot properly identify the Graphics Hardware".  Then exit out the installer.

5.  Go to device manager and scroll down to display adapter and update the driver. 

5a.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5b.  Then click "Let me pick from list of available drivers on my computers" and then click  "Have Disk" and then navigate to the folder C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July12(or whatever version you download)\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B330925  and then click open and then ok.

*Note:  you're pretty much looking of a .inf file.

5c.  It usually highlight it for you on the spot, but if it doesn't scroll and look for "AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics" and then click next.  An update driver warning will pop up saying "installing device driver is not recommended...."  but ignore and click yes.

6.  Computer may restart but it will then install the graphics software and hopefully no more BSOD for you anymore as well.

I hope my guide helped.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                                xpres715

hi, i am just trying to do that but after restarting when start to install

i get unknown hardware AMD

haplo602

Hello, that's normal for the installer. It's actually funny that it tells

you it cannot ID the hardware instead of the HW is not supported by the

installer.

The actual driver is unpacked in C:\AMD, you have to install manually via

Device manager (there are several HOWTOs in this topic).

antjuandecarlos

xpres715 wrote:

hi, i am just trying to do that but after restarting when start to install

i get unknown hardware AMD

The hardware undetected bug is normal issue for this installation. You're really just using that installer to UNPACK what you need onto your system. Here's a snippet of some steps I've written up, previously, in regard to the issue.

-----

Step 3: Install Graphics Driver

Install and run win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe file (if you get 182 Error, that's fine. Continue with next steps)

Follow prompts for express install

Open Device Manager

Go to Display adapters -> Microsoft Display Adapter (AMD RadeonTM) Vega 8 Graphics, whichever shows)

Right click -> Update Driver -> Browse computer for driver software

Click "Let me pick from a list of available..."

Click Have Disk..

Open C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\CO331246.inf file

Scroll down large list to AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics, and click Next

Install driver and Reboot

Step 4: Install Radeon Adrenalin Edition Settings

Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to C:\AMD\.. folder

Search "ccc2_install" and click on found exe file

Follow prompts to complete install.

Done (Restart Optional)

This Resolves..

Discoloration while playing back footage. (Adobe Premiere Pro)

Windows crashes with video playback after waking from Sleep State (Windows 10)

"Application blocked from accessing hardware" bug (Windows 10)

Final Cleanup

Now that everything is stable, another Windows Update may try and rollback all the hard work you've just completed. You'll need to turn that off.

Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System

Click on Advanced System Settings

Under Hardware Tab, click Device Installation Settings

Change Automatic Installation Settings to No

Save Changes

From this point on, you will be solely responsible for any Hardware Driver related downloads. I'd recommend a software, like DevID, to accomplish this in the future.

xpres715

Yeah thank you but i have done this) But problem with step 4

Step 1: Scrub AMD drivers from system

• Boot into Safe Mode
                                                                                          • Run DDU v17.0.9.1.exe
                                                                                          • Follow "recommended" prompts
                                                                                          • Restart PC

Step 2: Install AMD Chipset Drivers

• Install and run amd-chipset-drivers18.10.c.0601.exe file
                                                                                          • Follow prompts to clean install
                                                                                          • Restart PC

• Install and run win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe file (If you get 182 Error, that's fine. Continue with next steps)
                                                                                          • Follow prompts for express install
                                                                                          • Open Device Manager
                                                                                          • Go to Display adapters -> Microsoft Display Adapter (AMD RadeonTM) Vega 8 Graphics, whichever shows)
                                                                                          • Right click -> Update Driver -> Browse computer for driver software
                                                                                          • Click "Let me pick from a list of available..."
                                                                                          • Click Have Disk..
                                                                                          • Open C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\CO331246.inffile
                                                                                          • Scroll down large list to AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics, and click Next
                                                                                          • Install driver and Reboot

• Open Windows Explorer
                                                                                          • Navigate to C:\AMD\.. folder
                                                                                          • Search "ccc2_install" and click on found exe file

After this step i get the same thing( unknown hardware AMD)

antjuandecarlos

I don't want be presumptuous, so I will ask transparently. Prior to Step 4, you've already scrubbed your drivers (In Safe Mode) using the DDU app? You then installed the AMD Chipset 18.10 Drivers BEFORE anything else? If you've done Steps 1-2, this should leave you with a decent base to install from. The install of the AMD Display 18.7.1 Driver is more of an unpacking/extracting than an immediate install. It will unpack onto your drive first, then try to begin the install process. In most cases, the install here will throw a 182 Error for not being able to properly detect your hardware. That's because, after that initial extraction, you have to MANUALLY install this driver through Device Manager by using the EXACT steps mentioned in Step 3. You won't be able to properly install the AMD Settings mentioned in Step 4 until everything prior is followed to a "t".

Check and make sure that, after that manual driver install from Step 3, you are on Display Driver 24.20.12019.1010 (See below).

amd driver version.PNG

Once you've confirmed this, you should be able to do the search, in the "C:\AMD.." folder for the install file "ccc2_install". That window should look like this (below), and not require a restart after the fact.

amd settings install.PNG

Is this (the above image) the point where you're getting this error? Or, are you actually getting it during the extraction and install attempt of the AMD Display Drivers from Step 3?

Please let me know so I can help as best I can. My exact computer is as follows:

Product Name: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bq1xx

Product #: 1KS90UA#ABA

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500u with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz

Current RAM: 8 GB

Current OS: Windows 10 Pro For Workstations (Version 1803)

titleman

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I'm having Acer aspire 3 Ryzen 2500u , even after installing 18.7.1 not able to play videos.

Used clean unistall to remove everything and then manually installed 18.7.1 , should it be done any ohter way??

Should I first install 18.5 drivers or anything else??

marianof

Hi, HP ENVY x360 15m-bq121dx BIOS F.17, WIndows 10 1803, Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 working flawlessly. Since 18.5.1 no more problems. Forced install via device manager as explained on above post. HP sp88730 23.20.826.1792 still problematic, uninstalled and installed 18.7.1. Hope it helps.

shabbo

New problem. Enable virtual super resolution 5K on an external display, then try to play an x

HC265 encoded video on VLC. BSOD

antjuandecarlos

CONFIRMED WORKING METHOD

Download the following files:

Step 1: Scrub AMD drivers from system

• Boot into Safe Mode
                                                                                              • Run DDU v17.0.9.1.exe
                                                                                              • Follow "recommended" prompts
                                                                                              • Restart PC

Step 2: Install AMD Chipset Drivers

• Install and run amd-chipset-drivers18.10.c.0601.exe file
                                                                                              • Follow prompts to clean install
                                                                                              • Restart PC

• Install and run win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe file
                                                                                              • Follow prompts for express install (If you get 182 Error, that's fine. Continue with next steps)
                                                                                              • Open Device Manager
                                                                                              • Go to Display adapters -> Microsoft Display Adapter (AMD RadeonTM) Vega 8 Graphics, whichever shows)
                                                                                              • Right click -> Update Driver -> Browse computer for driver software
                                                                                              • Click "Let me pick from a list of available..."
                                                                                              • Click Have Disk..
                                                                                              • Open C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\CO331246.inf file
                                                                                              • Scroll down large list to AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics, and click Next
                                                                                              • Install driver and Reboot

• Open Windows Explorer
                                                                                              • Navigate to C:\AMD\.. folder
                                                                                              • Search "ccc2_install" and click on found exe file
                                                                                              • Follow prompts to complete install.
                                                                                              • Done (Restart Optional)

This Resolves..

• Discoloration while playing back footage. (Adobe Premiere Pro)
                                                                                              • GPU Acceleration Enabled Successfully (All Adobe CS Apps)
                                                                                              • Windows crashes with video playback after waking from Sleep State (Windows 10)
                                                                                              • "Application blocked from accessing hardware" bug (Windows 10)

Final Cleanup

Now that everything is stable, another Windows Update may try and rollback all the hard work you've just completed. You'll need to turn that off.

• Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System
                                                                                              • Click on Advanced System Settings
                                                                                              • Under Hardware Tab, click Device Installation Settings
                                                                                              • Change Automatic Installation Settings to No
                                                                                              • Save Changes

From this point on, you will be solely responsible for any Hardware Driver related downloads. I'd recommend a software, like DevID, to accomplish this in the future.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                                gsoul5005

Guys.. Everyone can go here and share your product experience -> Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

1. GPU Driver not being updated.
                                                                                                2. No BIOS update with AMD newer Agesa code.

Envy x360 Ryzen 2500U 2017 version is being neglected, updates are now only for Envy x360 Ryzen 2018 version only.
                                                                                                BIOS needs user selectable GPU memory upto 2GB as some apps refuse to run.

Dell Ryzen laptop have Configurable cTDP and advanced menu enabled, HP should do the same. If they are worried about users damaging laptop with advanced features accessible in BIOS. They can have an option/switch or warning that enabling the advanced menu in BIOS with void warranty.

kata995

After a Windows update I get crashes again...I´m losing my patience with HP

hazonfire

I spoke with HP service center who first remotely reinstalled the BIOS and updated drivers but it didn't take away the problem and they asked to send the device to the service center which - which I did. Came back formatted but with the same problem Will follow up with them on another call or I am selling this garbage - my warranty ends in 2 months.