I installed RAIDXpert a few years back when the PC was still on Windows 7 and it worked fine. I upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit about a year back, still fine.
I started getting a few RAID events but couldn't find anything wrong with the drives or any other info. Checked my version of RAIDXpert and it was out of date and there was a new version for Windows 10 so I downloaded "amd-catalyst-15.7.1-raidxpert-utility-win10-win8.1-win7.exe" and installed.
I now have RAIDXpert 3.3.1540.38.
Problem is when I launch RAIDXpert I get an http error: 500, see attached error page.
I am using Windows 10 with latest updates and Chrome or Edge as browser, same issue.