39 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 2:12 AM by kiwinadians

RX Vega 64 Black Screen Bug - Windows 10

dstmnd89x

This sort of stems from my previous thread, though is much more conclusive as I've confirmed a few things.

Basically, I have a reference Vega 64 that works fine on 2 Windows 10 machines, but not on another. I suspect that there may be a bug that exists between AMD drivers and a more recent Windows 10 update but I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. The problem occurs as the card starts to render 3D but I've also had it happen by simply watching videos on YouTube. The screen goes black and then a few seconds later the GPU fan spins down and the entire system locks up, prompting a hard restart. Not good.

This happens whether I am overclocking or not, doesn't matter which game, is present with benching software and I've just recently updated my motherboard's BIOS. Still occurs. Here's the rest of the specs:

AMD Ryzen 1700

ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

G.Skill FlareX DDR4 3200

Seasonic X-850 PSU

Windows 10 Pro

Now, I've tried a Polaris card in the above system also and it works just fine, so the problem is specific to the Vega card, but not with application or driver version or card settings (I've played around with all of it at this point). I was going to RMA the card at first but the fact that the card works fine in two other machines has deterred me from doing so. Here's my other Ryzen computer in which the Vega 64 works absolutely fine, no matter how hard I hammer on it; never crashes.

AMD Ryzen 1500X

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200

Corsair RMX 850 PSU

Windows 10 Pro

I can also run 3D benchmark software on this machine as much as I want and not worry at all about potential issues. The Vega card also runs fine in another system with Slightly older Intel Haswell hardware and a Z87 based motherboard. No issues on that configuration either but no matter what it crashes on the X370 board, while Polaris does not.

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows 10 to rule out any OS update-related bugs, but I've been holding off mainly because I don't have the time to do so at the moment. Can anyone suggest something to try? Event viewer doesn't really show much in terms of actual root causes but it does say that the AMD driver crashed but then recovered.

• Re: RX Vega 64 Black Screen Bug - Windows 10
          railrunner

Greetings, I had a similar, yet different issue with my Xfire Vega setup after updating my Windows 10 to the latest Creators Fall Update. While installing drivers the system completely locked up with a solid black screen - rebooted later and the driver installation wasn't successfull. Long story short, in the end I had to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 to slowly get things back to a working condition.

Have you tried DDU in save mode, deleting any drivers and displays? I am using a similar setup as you do, same mainboard (Asrock Fatality Professional), 1800x, but using a BeQuiet! 850W PSU and different RAM. None of my cards, be it single or in Xfire mode give me black screens ever since. The 17.12.x line in particular finally seems to be much more reliable with that damn Fall Creators Update than the initial 17.10.x release. Prior that FCU, everything was fine.

dstmnd89x

Yes, I think I've reached that point as well. I am prepping to do a clean install soon and I have another Vega 64 on the way to test out.

Generally, when I can't get drivers to install or uninstall normally I always use the latest DDU in safe mode because I know it works well. Unfortunately, it was not really helping with this particular problem (no matter which drivers) so my eyes turned to the card itself being defective. However, seeing it work just fine in the other machines raised some suspicion with the OS.

Thanks for the input!

hardcoregames™

I have several disks so i can test clean installs and i suggest doing that to narrow down problems\

hive

I have the same problem with my Vega 64 LC i made a post about it on the driver section of the forum  called

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

To be short i have to lock my frequency of the HBM in order to function correctly .. all the Frequency states of the memory are stable but the system can't use the dynamic switching of those frequency ..

if i set it locked with Wattman on 500 or 945mhz the system is rock stable.. Maybe this helps you to ?

dstmnd89x

Similar scenario except I can basically promise that my card would crash just seconds under any kind of load. The first time I experienced the crash was with the first release of the Adrenalin drivers; before that (even after the Fall Creator's Update) everything was just fine. I'm not certain if there's an OS bug that exists when the system upgrades but I suppose it's plenty possible.

I am doing a clean install soon so I would suggest doing the same on a spare drive just to see if your card behaves differently.

qwixt

Are you using the same DP cable? I had black screen issues when I tried a new displayport cable. I reverted back to the old one that came with the monitor and it worked fine ever since.

dstmnd89x

yes, it's the Accell DP cable that I've used ever since I bought my Freesync screen. The black screen was present while using regular DVI on an older monitor as well. I probably should have noted that in my OP but I overlooked it. I was temporarily using a small 19" LCD to test the system while I was having issues.

superfly5203

I have the same issue as OP.  I have vega 64 with a ryzen 1600x and I get black screen crash almost instantly in games.  I haven't done a fresh install of windows, but it seems like that isn't really the issue though.  I would love to know how to fix, like someone else said these card are to expensive to have these issues.

dstmnd89x

UPDATE!

I think I may have found the issue, but I won't know until a new power supply arrives.

Upon inspecting the PCIe power connectors on my PSU it appeared that one was very "stuck" ...so much that I couldn't even get it out with pliers! I pulled the entire unit out and before I could pry it free a couple of the connectors broke right off; it looks like the ends fused right into the socket. Could the VGA card have drawn that much power from a single port that it melted the ends?? If so, be careful adjusting your power thresholds!

I'm not 100% convinced that this is why the card was going down but it could explain if the power supply was killing power if it detected a spike or a short at that connection. Needless to say, I'll be using two connectors with two separate cables from the replacement power supply, yikes!

mrcleanor

I have the same problem, sometimes my screen ends green or grey or black, but it is a crash

found a possible fix on the forum

i also tested 4 power supplies, 2 motherboards and oher things

my rx 480 runs totally fine so it must be the vega56

testen now the fixed hbm rate @ 500 in desktop while a game runs and youtube is playing

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

when it really is this switching issue of the ram then amd should fix it quickly with a bios flash or driver update

good luck

dstmnd89x

I had tested that method prior to inspecting my power supply; it did not fix my issue and appears unrelated.

As far as I am aware the PCIe connectors are rated for power delivery well over what the card can draw but it looks like there may have been some kind of defect in the cable I was using, or the connector itself. I didn't see any burnt or corroded leads inside the power supply but not being able to remove the modular cable without pliers and forcefully breaking it off leads me to believe that the cable end somehow fused itself to the socket:

IWSFys.jpg

I'm still looking into it but to be safe I am replacing this unit and plan to use a pair of 8-pin cables instead of the one, which I suppose I should have done from the beginning. I think this seasonic (pictured above) is still usable but I will cap and/or terminate that one socket after digging out the pins and test the continuity.

superfly5203

I don't have another machine to test with, but i tried to lock the HBM at 945, and if anything it has given me more issues. After going back to stock settings in wattman, half the time when i wake up my computer now there is no video signal. 

hive

What kind of lockup do you get ? I don't use any sleep mode (always turn the system off)

Do you get a black screen ? Or a blackscreen with a No signal warning?

My previous vega card that i returned had a blackscreen no signal warning after that i could not get on my desktop anymore, and after a few different driver versions it didn't even showed my uefi bios that card was really a defective one.

It can be different on other computers but from what i experienced i never got a blackscreen no signal from this vega card only a grey/black screen lockup but that i fixed with locking the Hbm2

superfly5203

It acts like the computer is sleeping. It doesn't say no signal, my monitor just goes into standby mode i guess is what it's called.

dstmnd89x

Similar to my issue, the screen goes down into standby-like mode but doesn't display no signal as if it weren't physically connected.

Shortly after, however, the entire system will freeze up and I need to restart. Like, the driver crashes, the system logs it and tries to restart the driver but runs into trouble. I also must say that Wattman, as a whole, is pretty unreliable with my hardware. 80% of the time my settings are reverted to default upon a cold boot and I must manually enter them again. Yes, it takes just several seconds to do but that's hardly the point; it's not obvious as to why it keeps defaulting everything.

I should have my replacement PSU tomorrow, so I will continue to look into my issue. I know the card is good, and so is the board and memory so I'm nearly convinced it was something with my power supply or a faulty cable end.

superfly5203

I just used the driver uninstaller DDU, and in the little log it stated i had two GPUs a 6540 (i think) and my vega card. I've never plugged in anything besides my vega 64 to this machine.  I wonder if that has anything to do with these issues. 

Since doing a clean driver install, it seems to be better. For the last few days i haven't seen the mobo start up screen when i do a restart, but I did just now. 

superfly5203

I spoke to soon. I was running some tests and it black screened again. Now I can't even get anything to come up. I'm going to do a warranty exchange I guess, quite upset.

dstmnd89x

that's unfortunate but take advantage of the warranty until some of these issues are addressed.

I will post back tonight on whether or not I've fixed my issue with the new PSU installed. The other RX64, gigabyte limited edition, is still fine but it runs slightly warmer in the ATX cube chassis than the black card does in the larger full tower case. Stability-wise, though, it seems perfectly fine. I may inspect the cable ends at some point just for peace of mind but I don't think I'll encounter the same issue; hopefully it's an isolated event.

chinf

Just saw your thread - the symptoms you described are consistent with a problem with supplying Vega with enough power.

Some PSU manuals explicitly say to use separate cables for graphics cards which have 2+ connectors - i.e. don't daisy chain, even though it's tempting as most VGA cables are fitted with two connectors at the graphics card end and it looks neater than running a second cable alongside. Some PSUs have more than one 12V rail, and for these it's best to split the GPU load across two rails by using separate cables (sometimes it's a must to avoid overloading a single rail).

While in theory the connectors are rated to handle enough current, in practice it will vary due to manufacturing tolerances/defects and the actual build itself. It's possible to OC Vega to power levels that can expose a weak cable/connector, so I say it's essential to run two separate power cables to it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      superfly5203

I would be very surprised if my power supply is the issue. I do run two separate cables to the card, and i have a 1000w corsair PSU.  I ran my vega card at the stock speeds and voltage. 

As for the 12v rails, I looked all over and could find anything that showed where different rails would be on my PSU.  So maybe I was running two cables on the same rail, but I don't know of a way to check that.  I don't have another PSU that i can test with though, so i would have to go out and buy another one to test it with, which i don't really want to do.

mrcleanor

Could you deactivate all sleep functions ins windows, and also deactivate S6 sleep mode in the bios and even all other sleep modes and cool and quiet.

Then try to test it.

You can even disable ULPS as a sleep mode for Vega.

Also you can fix the HBM clock to MIN and MAX 500MHz

When you still loose the signal it would be strange but an indicator for the gpu being the problem (faulty).

Good Luck

chinf

@superfly5203 Just in case you thought I was replying to you - my post was a reply to dstmnd89x (the original poster of this thread). Your symptoms have turned out to be different to the OP's (black screen not correlated with GPU load) and so your problem has a different cause.

In your case I'd make sure your BIOS up to date, try out mrcleanor's suggestions, and if possible try things with BIOS settings reset to default. Worth trying before sending the card back for replacement under warranty.

dstmnd89x

I don't think your issue is related to the power supply, and it would be fine to run two cables on the same rail, just not one cable with daisy-chained connectors. The picture I posted earlier shows the two teeth of the connector end literally fused into the socket, which has since been removed from the PSU and terminated properly. My best guess is that the unit was killing power to that socket when Vega was trying to draw lots of power and thus was resulting in a failing display driver.

As a side note, the connector leads inside the teeth of the PCIe connectors are not very rugged like the leads of the actual PSU socket, which is more rigid and can probably handle much more current. As to when the actual damage occurred, it was likely during an extended gaming session a few weeks ago. I think I'm going to mark this thread as answered unless someone can chime in with some additional thoughts. Thanks for all of input!

dstmnd89x

I had completely overlooked this, but it does make sense. I was told that the connectors are rated for much higher current but I figured that if the card is constantly drawing heavy power that this could expose a weak link, eventually, which could absolutely be the case for me. With Vega specifically, I probably should have known this going in but opting to use a single cable with daisy-chained connectors was probably not wise. Needless to say, I will be using two separate cables from now on with these cards.

The new power supply was installed yesterday and so far there haven't been any issues but it's still a bit too early to say for sure. I will do some additional heavy load testing tonight and hopefully it's sound. As for the old supply, it still works but I will only use it on a "test only" unit for powering up components and benchmarking new systems.

kiwinadians

There is another thread going where there are a number of us looking into a very similar issue for older cards as well (Pitcairn, Southern Islands cards, such as 7870 and R9s). Your symptoms sound identical to many of our initial crashes (running stock, under fairly medium load), although for many of us, after this initial crash we can only use our cards if they are running a Windows basic display driver. Any time we try to install an AMD driver, or windows update tries to do it for us, instant black screen. Because of the similarity of our systems, and the fact that these issues are occurring across several types of cards, it would seem my suspicions that it is an issue between the power expected by the driver to run the card and the power delivery of the windows power management that is causing some of the issue.

It's been two weeks now that my 7870 has been munted, and I sincerely hope that it is in fact remediable, not a repeat of the driver debacle AMD had a few years back that slaughtered cards left and right due to misreporting fan speeds. Wish you folks luck figuring this out, and hopefully AMD takes good care of you, you've given them enough of your money already!