1 2 3 First Previous 412 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2018 5:03 AM by philipp

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

hive

i got a lot of problems with the Rx Vega64 Liquid edition

this is my 3rd Card (RMA the other 2 cards before this one).

The problem that i have is the Vega card randomly causes a Black-screen / Grey-screen. it doesn't matter what i do or what i play it does it random there is no pattern in the  behavior.

I tried a lot of different drivers , did a clean install. updated the graphics card Vbios(is now 016.001.001.000.008774) as well the Bios of the Mainboard (is now 1801 ) but nothing is helping at this moment.

What i would like to know is this a compatibility issue with Vega and maybe the X99 chipset /or only this mainboard ?

or is this a serious driver issue that amd isn't aware of and is pretty rare ?

The blackscreen appears sometimes within 2 hours , but it can sometimes takes up to around 4 to 6 hours..

the other 2 Vega LC that i had displayed the same problem so it is almost impossible that the card is defective.

what i tried

i disabled the Hardware acceleration if Firefox Quantum

Use DDU 17.8.1 for each driver switch

Crimson drivers,

17.11.1 beta

17.11.1 whql

Adrenaline

17.12.1 whql

17.12.2 beta

Nothing above here fixed it

Now i tried something out as those black-screen/grey-screen got me thinking that it could be Graphics card memory related

specially because my desktop has the same grey background color as the crash does so,

after watching the HBM2 down/Up clocking constantly 167mhz-500mhz-800mhz-945mnhz,

i locked the HBM2 Memory on 945mhz and it can't down-clock anymore and stays static on 945mhz (with Wattman).

The HBM2 Memory doesn't down volt it always stays static on 1.356V so i don't have to change that and Wattman also doesn't have the ability to do so.

only problem that this creates is that the idle voltage of the GPU is now 0.950V instead of 0.800V but i don't mind that at the moment

This seems to have fixed my Issue that i was working on for 8 weeks. I'm still testing it though but i already have more success with this tweak then i have at default and system is stable for 2 days already without fail/blackscreen.

Maybe this can fix the blackscreen problem for other people too.

I hope that the AMD Driver/Vbios Team can take a look into this issue

• AMD Graphics Card

RX Vega 64 Liquid edition

• Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit Version 10.0.16299.125
      • Driver version installed
        • Currently on Radeon Software edition Adrenalin 17.12.2 Beta, but tested a lot of other drivers before this one.
      • Display Devices
        • Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q 3840x2160 @60Hz Connected through DP
        • Denon AVR X3300W Connected through HDMI 2.0
      • Motherboard + Bios Revision
        • Asus Rampage V Edition 10 (Bios tested for this issue is 1503/1701/1801 working on 1801 for now)
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel I7 6900K @ 4.2GHZ / Also tested this issue at Stock settings
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair AX1200i
      • RAM
        • G Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14-8GTZ   X4 Quad channel (32GB) / Also tested this issue at Stock settings (2133mhz)
        1 2 3 First Previous