61 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2018 1:20 AM by atlasminor

System crashes continue with 17.12.2

emrctn1

System crashes continue with 17.12.2. In the games, the blue screen and the red screen come up. The system is locked.

Phenom II X4 955

Sapphire R7 250X 2G GDDR5 128BİT

8 GB 2X4 DDR3 1333 MHZ RAM

600 W +80 Power

1 TB 7200 RPM

Foxconn A74ML-K 3.0

17.12.2 Driver

Windows 10 Last Version

• Re: System crashes continue with 17.12.2
          locodicegr

Use the latest DDU in safe mode, and reinstall the driver.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            pokester

I have a Phenom II X6

I got rid of the crashes by doing this before the adrenaline drivers. Since March I had your same issue but the Adrenaline drivers fixed it for me. But I did have to uninstall the drivers then run DDU from safe mode to get the new drivers to work!

You can try this to see if it helps though. It saved me for many months after months of crashes.

it is a speed/power phasing issue. The drivers since march by default vary your speed based on load to save power and keep cool the gpu. However on many cards including rx 480 &  rx 580 the issue seems worse. In Wattman change to manual settings and look to the last state. This is the true clock of your card, (mine is 1405) now set all the states to this speed, so it's not variable anymore. Now do the same with the power, look for the highest voltage (mine is 1168) and change all the states to that number. Yes you will burn more energy, but also hopefully be stable.

Also disable overlay in Steam as this seems to help.

emrctn1

GPU Clock 1100 (Stock 1000)    

Mem Mhz 1250 (Stock 1200)

Power limit +20

İ'm not using overlay.

I clicked on the game and instantly came up with a red screen.

locodicegr

This more likely a PSU/Temperature problem...not a driver problem.

Stop yelling..and do a proper troubleshoot to your system please.

pokester

Yes that sucks sorry to hear that. May be a different issue going on in your case? Did you manually putt your max clock in all 7 editable states in Wattman? Just trying to be clear, and only trying to help. Don't want to get shouted at. If you have, then no it probably isn't helping. Hopefully they get these new drivers ironed out soon. It's very frustrating when our toys don't work. Especially when they used too! I don't look at going backwards to older drivers as a FIX either.  Don't take it personally when people offer advice that doesn't help, a lot of time the usual culprits like bad power supplies or other new changes are issues. The people helping you here are mostly users just like you, hoping to help you, just as others have helped them. I know I fought my problem, which sounds just like yours, for 2 months before figuring it out it was from the variable states features they added in the March drivers. Sometimes it's also hard to pin the same issue across many cards to because they don't always roll the change out to every card on a driver release. They may do 1 or 2 and do the rest on the next release. It would sure help if the actual driver team was more involved in this forum. For the rest of us it's just our best educated guess and we hope we do more good than harm.

Good Luck!

emrctn1

Same problem with manuel clocks and stock clocks bro.

pokester

Too bad. I know I tried one of my games and saw many others complaining it wouldn't work for them either now with these latest adrenaline drivers. The Witcher, original game won't launch at all now. My personal opinion on things is they are trying so hard to add NEW FEATURES and not spending enough time to see how those new features break what used to work. New stuff is nice but in the end it's also just fluff. We need stability before anything else. After all we need to be able to PLAY the game before it matters if we can now use a new overlay in that game right?

snipeer

Hello

I also have this

clean installation of the latest windows 10

windows autoinstall drivers, and I install Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1

crash windows per hour

blue screen message: system thread exception not handled

------------------

If I install previous Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 whql then no blue screen

my pc:

fx-6300

asrock 970m pro3

12Gb ddr3 1600

sapphire HD 7770 1gb ghz edition

(all option default in amd control center)

(sorry bad english)

perkas

Same problems with my Radeon 470 and drivers 17.12.1 and 17.12.2.

- Blue screen message ramdonly (not only when i am gaming).

- Firefox crash playing youtube...

- In Battlefield 1, "Child" doesn't work: it is capped to max rate defined.

I have tryed reinstalling several times, with "amdcleanuputility.exe", but no lucky.

Finally I have revert to driver version 17.11.1 and all works properly again!

This seems to be a bug, no??

Hope it solve soon, though i don't watch too much user moaning about it..

pureocean

I have to say that I'm very surprised to see BSODs after many years (my last BSOD was happened on Catalyst 10.x).

After 17.12.1 updated, BSOD caused while web browsing on Chrome. Also BSOD suddenly comes while AVC & HEVC video playing in PotPlayer. I updated drivers to 17.12.2 (completely old drivers after removed with DDU). No change, BSOD continues. I back to version 17.11.4-nov27 (driver version 23.20.793.1024). No BSOD.

Crash dump report (sh& .dmp files): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ruaVo7_eqztmYx1DIvBub27r7bCHslmIQsNqZSCMrys

Info;

My GPU: Radeon R7 240 (Product ID: 113-AD58100-200 / Code Name: Oland Pro)

My OS: Windows 10 x64 (Build 16299.125)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              hardcoregames™

use the refresh windows, probably the best option given DDU does do it

it keeps personal files but you have to install  games fresh etc

saturast

The only way I found in order to fix this problem is to downgrade your cpu clock and you memory of 100 MHz with a nice program called msiburnerd. I've played 1 hour without a crash on gta 5 online... It seems to work so far. 

wolfy1726

hello, i am a new buyer of a gigabyte rx 580 8gb, this is an upgrade from an old gtx 580 and i used ddu in safe mode to make a clean installation of the AMD card then i installed the latest driver v17.12.2 , every settings in radeon are to default, stock speed@1340mhz.

I am also concerned by these bsod/driver issues. it happens most often when I want to open the amd monitoring overlay while gaming, it does not open properly, or it takes a long time to open, most often it does not open and if I insist it just create a bsod instead. the other case concerns AORUS Graphics Engine utility, i can not open the program without having an instantaneous bsod.

I already had 5 bsod in less than a week following this purchase while I have never had any problem before with nvidia on the same computer.
                                  I was looking for an answer to my problem and I fell here, sorry if this is not the right place and sorry for my bad english.

I will try an old driver and I will edit my message if it solves the problem.

Windows 7 64bit
                                  Crosshair V formula-Z
                                  AMD FX 8350
                                  Gigabyte RX 580 8gb
                                  16gb ram

Corsair ax850 watt gold

emrctn1

Damn when will the new driver come ?

clust3rsekt0r

I have roll back 17.11.4 I ahve vega 56 and this driver was not meant to be for vega GPUS Freesync is a disaster plus I have two in crossfire and it seems all rumors are true there is no crossfire support on vega.

m4drox

I am having the same issues, the best answer to why its happening is the monitoring program failing in the update, since 17.12.1 here are two screenshots  with the issue at hand.

Screenshot_2.jpgScreenshot_3.jpg

pokester

I have an AM3 board and PII X6 1090T w/ RX 580. I was having issues such as you had. I had many telling me my processor is too old and you can't game with it. I did several things which seem to have fixed my system stability. I have zero system hangs since doing these. In fact my I am playing Battlefield 1 in 2k on ultra never dipping below 50 fps with an average of 62-67 depending on player count and maps. I run the Whitcher 3 on Ultra 2k at 60+ also. So yah my processor is pretty long in the tooth, but it's still getting it done.

So on to some things to try that I feel worked for me:

1.) Load the most recent driver, AMD released a more recent alpha driver in the forums to fix DX9 issues. This driver however is also more stable IMHO!

https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guru3d.com%2Ffiles-details%2Famd-radeon-adrenalin-edit…

2.) Make sure you do a clean install of the above driver. I personally would also use DDU from safe mode. Yes I think it makes a real difference.

3.) Use High Performance not balanced for your computer settings. I use Park Control Free and it gives me the best most stable settings plus I am getting about a 10-20% performance increase in most games using it. It has a high performance profile that does the trick fixes some bad things Windows did to hinder performance.  I think Windows 10 does some weird stuff to save power or load balance on these processors that this software seems to fix.

4.) Turn off fast boot when starting computer. (yes this actually makes a difference. Many things don't actually get reset until a proper reboot is done.)

5.) In Wattman I use a custom Fan profile that turns the fans on sooner and runs them faster high load. This seems to have made things more stable too. My GPU never gets above low 60's.

6.) In Wattman use the +50 power setting ( really think this helps the card from getting power starved, again adding stability)

7.) Turn off overlays (steam, origin etc,)  you don't need or at least long enough to see if this makes a difference.

8.) I also don't have relive installed. Can't speak to if it works or doesn't. I don't and have not used it. Just been my experience that added fluff means added problems.

I'm sure some will say something I said is wrong. And maybe it is for other configs. All I can say is this has worked for me and have not had a hangup in weeks now and every game is playing great.

The smallest thing can change things for anyones system. When you think of all the possible variables you almost have to feel like being amazed they get it right not, how do they get it wrong?

I hope this maybe gives you some new ideas to try and hope you get back to peaceful gaming soon!

Good Luck!

kingfish

One of the biggest problems is understanding what AMD settings are for....what do they do? As you mentioned, the smallest thing can be a game changer/breaker. Especially the Power Limit....I see people/posts trying all sorts of really dumb things to correct issues that they have caused themselves, IE, 'overclocking' 'underclocking' 'setting fan curves', etc. when all they have to do is disable the default power saver. I see the screenshots they post with all their 'fixes' that don't work, and I notice in almost all of them the Power Limit set at the default "0".

AMD graphics performance

pokester

I'm not sure if your saying something I suggested is dumb? I am hoping I wasn't being called dumb and just taking you wrong. The only thing I suggested in your list of stuff I see as you saying is dumb, is a custom fan profile. I don't really think fan profiles typically causes many issues, unless you set them too low. If it is dumb then I don't know why dumb features are in the software to begin with. I however, really like this feature and don't find it dumb. I am tickled at how evolved this interface has become. Just took me a bit to understand it. I know I didn't suggest overclocking or underclocking. I did in an earlier attempt to help prior to the Adrenaline drivers even being released, suggest changing the states to be all the same as the max clock for the card. Those drivers definitely had phasing issues since Wattman was released in March 2017. However that has now been fixed in these last 3 drivers and not necessary. Overclocking is never something you play around with until running stable at default clocks. I would definitely add you shouldn't really change anything ever until you're pretty sure what you're doing. The Wattman feature is definitely a different animal than what drivers or aftermarket utilities have had in the past, at least in the interface and how it works. So it's a pretty steep learning curve. I see many people saying just install the minimal driver and an aftermarket utility like afterburner. This is a shame as once you get Wattman dialed in, it works great and you don't have to constantly switch profiles to get results. The real shame these days is that the card makers don't offer much help, if any. AMD drivers are vanilla and can't possibly be specific to every flavor of card. Yet the card makers don't make custom versions of the drivers anymore to best suit their tweaked cards!  You get on forums and it's hard to tell the difference between good advice and bad. My advice may be bad, but it definitely worked for me and I fully understand the changes I made. I have 27 years in IT management. YMMV is an acronym that should be assumed when taking advice in any forums. I just do my best to help the question being asked, not get too hung up on information not given, like I see so often in others posts. It's like some people don't want to offer any help unless the person can ask the the perfect question. Seeing as this guys setup was so similar, I thought it was worth a shot trying to help.

elstaci

The manufacturers of Laptops are the only ones that make customize drivers for their specific GPU's due to the restraint of Heat and Power in Laptops. I guess Manufacturers of Desktop GPU cards figures that any AMD/Nvidia/Intel generic drivers will be just as good or better than their own version of GPU drivers since there is no restraints on how much heat or power will be used.

pokester

No I get what they do. In a perfect world each card makers bios should bridge the gap between their custom card and AMD's general vanilla drivers. However we don't live in a perfect world. Their specs on their cooling may not match up with what the hardware engineer envisioned and had their firmware guys program into the bios. We rarely get bios updates these days to fix these oversights. My XFX RX580 overheated like crazy at first until I set a custom fan profile. I don't think for a second I have bad hardware. It only took a small adjustment and now the card never goes over low 60's under full load. I tried to talk to XFX about this and they couldn't care less. They blamed MB bios, ram and power supply. Mind you the same system ran without a hick-up for over 4 years with and HD7950. This is the unfortunate problem, because AMD gets a black eye for all these problems when really there isn't too much they could do, it's their card partners dropping the ball. Unless AMD is making it just as hard for the card makers to get information. I just don't know about that. Realistically it's hardly and effort to be able to custom change variables in a driver for power and fan speed. In the early days of 3d gaming I literally used to adjust these things in S3's drivers myself all the time. They just don't do it anymore because they are far more worried about the dollars than they are about anyone's experience. It's just frustrating because AMD really is making a great product and unfortunately due to bad out of box experience is looking worse than they have in quite a few years. Most people, even seasoned gamers aren't really great tech guys and aren't going to spend much time on problems before switching to the green team over problems. I always like to remind people that while the green team doesn't get as much bad press over drivers, they certainly have had their issues too. The funniest thing about all this, is regardless of issues they can't keep these things in stock. I saw my RX 580 that I paid $269.99 for on sale yesterday for $627. Wow that's insane! Poor gamers can't even buy a card to game anymore.

kingfish

No I am agreeing with you...the smallest thing can make a big difference. I remarked on the Power Limit as it is the most overlooked and has the biggest impact..for a gamer or power user/miner. AMD is at fault here by not giving clear explanations on what each settings does..it's effect.

pokester

Sorry I took it wrong. I was hoping that was the case because I have read your stuff long before I ever posted myself and usually agree with most what you say. It's just really tough to be really clear in a quick post sometimes.

There is no doubt that AMD is not realizing how badly their lack of explanation and documentation is hurting them. I came from using an HD7950 that I was running the latest drivers at that time on with never an issue in 4 or more years? I installed my RX580 and instant nightmare. I tried to get help from XFX which was useless. I then turned here and a couple other forums. I then started piecing together the help that ultimately led me to a stable system. I think it's a shame that customer service is a thing of the past. In my early days in computing, well before the internet. Companies like S3 and Matrox had user groups. Their driver writers would regularly talk with end users to get things resolved.

So many of the problems we have today would get fixed I think if we spent more time on the front end documenting, this weeds out problems due to education and then driver guys could truly concentrate on the real problems. They could take the feedback of what fixes things and have a great idea of what has to be causing the problem. It's this kind interaction between us end users and the AMD forum guys and the driver guys, that have made some real progress since early December. The fact that they got the DX9 problem fixed is great, but how many people still are suffering from this because the only way you are going to get help is if you stumble across the link in the forums! Why no link with explanation on the AMD driver page? It just seems like AMD is the author of their own bad press and it doesn't need to be that way. I love AMD products and I love supporting the underdog in general.  I've been using AMD chips since their 486 chips.

kingfish

Before they moved to this "new" forum...there was separate forums for things like Eyefinity, Laptops, etc and each section had a "Solved" section. It was easier for a user to post his question in a forum that dealt specifically with his issue (ie Eyefinity,laptop,etc) and to have a repository of previous questions that were solved. Now there is just the generic "Drivers and software" forum. They have made some progress with the Radeon™ Software Help Center | AMD  but it is hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for. Same holds true for the INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  notification. Can't find it unless you search.

pokester

It's an unfortunate thing today. In general people never stop to think today and like to shift blame to the end user. However this is terrible because the truth is this simple: the end user will never know, what they don't know. So how can you ever be expected to know what to search for or how to ask a proper question when you just don't know? This is why it is so important for the experts, you know, the people who make the stuff, to over communicate and educate. This is the area that is just so lacking today.

pokester

Yah I really got to wonder why this +50 isn't a default anyway. I am sure it allows them to show a lower power number on paper, but in reality why starve a card and create a stability issue? Especially why your not really even close to competing with the direct competition in power anyway. IMHO it would be better to be able to say yes we do use more power but our cards a super stable and the graphics we produce look way better. My son has an 1060 TI and I have the RX580  and without any doubt my games look way better on the same monitor. They textures and colors just night and day better. I know the green team fanboys would argue that not true all day long!

kingfish

The nvidia colors remind me of Fugifilm compared to Kodachrome. Pale, washed out. But if you had never seen Kodachrome, you would think that is the norm.

The impressive thing about Power Limit is that it not only allows a increase in the game FPS...more importantly it raises the MINIMUM FPS in the game. This can be a game maker for weaker/marginal graphics. This is where the "Overclocking" craze starts....when all that's necessary is to disable the automatic/default throttling.

Every graphics card manufacturer and laptop manufacturer sell their product on energy efficiency/battery time. All of them competing with for the enterprise/casual user base. Gamers are far down the list of priorities. They/we represent a fraction of the buyers. At least there is the option (if you can find it) to disable them.

clust3rsekt0r

One thing I notice for Vega in my case and ryzen is the sleep mode when you go back and play game, the system is going to crash eventually that's my experience what I have to do is i have to restart the computer after that no issues but some times it just crash.

jurehabs

i have OC phenom II 965 and i have same issues... i think that phenom II is outdated now...

atlasminor

Might suggest checking your BIOS power State, this might get way more technical than I can fully explain. Run a search on (Adding powerconfig state 3 and 4 to Bootloader and boot config also reffered to as S3/STR and the ACPI configuration.

That is the easy and might workaround your power issue, that is IF it is a power issue, way you make it out very well known but no solution?

So adding the actual S3 or S4 boot  paths may or may not correct it. If it is a power issue, it will if its not it wont. there were changes to S3 to prevent attackers from exploiting  suspend/resume cycle to bypass security restrictions , your board might have been something that was affected and needs the firmware fix's. This is my best guess and would be were I would have started looking into the problem.

just My2Cents