62 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 3:01 AM by colesdav

Could AMD please add Keyboard and Mouse input Weighting sliders for for Chill in Adrenalin Driver?

colesdav

Hello.

I have been testing Chill on various titles, starting with the Witcher 3 (as it is a long supported game).
      I was hoping to look into the operation of of Chill on various titles and to look at the power saving I could gain with Chill.
      Since I was interested in max power saving, I set the Chill Min Target to 30.
      I have a Freesync Monitor with a Freesync Range of 45-75Hz. I turned Freesync off and Vsync to Always Off in the driver and Off in Game, to specifically let the GPU run at whatever FPS it could.
      The monitor refresh rate is set to 75Hz. Therefore an FPS of 75 would be ideal when the in game character is moving during action scenes with this monitor.

On my initial installation of the Adrenalin Driver from 17.11.4 to Adrenalin I found that keyboard input on "the Witcher 3" was causing in game FPS to increase from Chill Min Target of 30 to +15-20 FPS when the game character moved around. If I also moved the mouse whilst running or stationary, the character moved as expected but I was not seeing an increase in FPS reported. I also tried other games with Chill and saw the same behavior. Changing mouse sensitivity in windows  did ~ nothing to help increase the FPS in Chill.

I reported this as an issue on AMD Reporting form, stating that Chill was not honoring the Chill Max Target.

I uninstalled Adrenalin ran DDU and reinstalled Adrenalin.

Here is the behavior I now see in games I have tested, I focus on the Witcher 3 for 'accurate' numbers. In this case I was running on i7-4790K with 1 R9 Nano.

Case 1.
      ======

I set the Chill Min Target to 30 and Chill Max Target to 75.

Using keyboard input to move the character around I see, as before, the FPS on screen increases from 30FPS with character stationary to about 45 FPS when the character is running.
      If I move the mouse extremely quickly (not in a way I would normally do in the game), and rotate the character on screen for long enough, FPS increases to the Chill Max Target of 75 in this case.

So in Case 1 Chill is honoring the Chill Max Target of 75, based on a combination of mouse and keyboard input,  but in a totally unbalanced way for me.
      I would like the FPS to sit at 30 when my character is stationary, but ramp up ~ immediately to 75 FPS (The Chill Max Target in this case)  when I have either keyboard or Mouse input applied in game.

Case 2.

======
      One way to increase the FPS increase with Keyboard input is to increase the Chill Max Target.from 75 to 300.
      I set the Chill Min Target to 30 and Chill Max Target to 300.

Using keyboard input to move the character around I see, as before, the FPS on screen increases from 30FPS with character stationary to about 50 FPS when the character is running.If I move the mouse extremely quickly (not in a way I would normally do in the game), and rotate the character on screen for long enough, FPS increases to ~ 180FPS towards the Chill Max Target of 300 in this case.

So I have managed to increase in game FPS to ~ 50FPS, but I want 75 FPS when character is moving / running due to keyboard input.

Also the Peak FPS I see with a combination of mouse and keyboard input is higher than 75 FPS, for a monitor with a refresh rate and Freesync range max of 75.

This means I get Screen Tearing with FreeSync on or off.

So whilst chill is not failing to honor the Chill Max Target, (with a combination of Keyboard and very fast mouse input). I do feel that it is indeed impacting in game performance.
      I cannot manage to set Chill up to allow me to make use of maximum power saving (Set Chill Min to 30 FPS) and achieve satisfactory FPS with keyboard only input.

Perhaps again this is just my System/Driver/OS/GPU combination, but I think there is some more work to be done on Chill to make it more usable.

Thanks.