2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 11:20 AM by jforman

ATI Radeon HD 3450Multiple monitors stopped working after Windows Update

jforman

My computer is a Dell Optiplex 780 on Thanksgiving day I was using the computer at around 4 PM the screen flickered and then my screens were married and not configured as 2 separate screens. When I try to go to settings to reconfigure them to 2 separate screens, I clicked on the button to detect monitors. And I was informed that "Did not detect another display"

I tried to uninstall the update, however, the update was not listed. As being available for on installing. I tried rolling back to the restore point the for the update, however, when I try that, I got an error message. That merely stated, "something went wrong unable to continue".

I tried doing a manual update oh Windows 10. The update went fine and even added some additional features however I am still not able to configure this has a 2 monitor computer. I am still getting the error message when I click on detect. "Did not detect another display"

Unfortunately, after doing the Windows Update, the restore point history has been removed, however, while. It was still there I was able to see that that update included 3 AMD updates.

I have tried swapping out monitors and swapping out cables. The only possible thing I found is that there was a Windows Update on the 23rd of November at around 4 PM. I assume since no reboot was necessary. It was installed in implemented immediately.

If anyone can think of anything I neglected to try please feel free to let me know. After you get used to using multiple monitors this is a pain in the rear.

System:

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 780

Chassis Serial Number: XXXXXX

Enclosure Type: Space-saving

Board: Dell Inc. 03NVJ6 A00

Serial Number: ..CN736049C102MA.

Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. A15 08/06/2013

Display:

ATI Radeon HD 3450 [Display adapter]

PCI GDIHOOK5 [Display adapter]

DELL E176FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n XX-064180-XXXXX-5A8-1HKC, October 2005)

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Multiple monitors stopped working after Windows Update Thanksgiving day
          rrd

Yep, having the same issue here. Multiple computers, multiple locations, using the 3450.

Unable to roll back driver. Installing further updates didn't fix problem.

I was able to restore back about a week, and that fixed the problem temporarily. Windows 10 update then ran and broke it again.

• Re: Multiple monitors stopped working after Windows Update Thanksgiving day
            jforman

I found I was unable to Roll Back to the previous driver, this is probably due to the sequence of my troubleshooting when I did a full Windows update to the latest version of Windows 10 it wiped out all of the update histories, therefore, rollback was not an option.

However, I did discover that it is possible to download the correct driver from AMD and install that on my Windows 10 system. However, you cannot use their installation program. It will report that the operating system is not supported.

When you go through the manual selection. When it comes time to select the operating system you must select Windows 8, and 32 or 64 bit depending on what your system is.

• Download the legacy beta driver. That is the newest one that actually works.
            • Run the downloaded EXE file. This file will self-extract and then run the installation catalyst.
            • The catalyst will ask the first question do you want to run an express or a custom installation, due neither click on cancel at this time.
            • The only thing you wanted that program to do was to self-extract and put the files somewhere on the drive so you can get to them.
            • The files will be placed on the C:\AMD\13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc
            • Start the
            • Device Manager. (Windows KEY-X) then M Should start the Device Manager.
            • Expand Display adapters.
            • Double-click on ATI Radeon HDxxxx series
            • open the driver tab
            • click on the Update Driver button
            • click on Browse my computer for driver software
            • click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
            • click on Have Disk... button
            • at the install from disk, screen click on Browse
            • navigate to the directory C:\AMD\Support\13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF
            • you should find more than one INF file there.
            • Select any one of the INF files. The only thing the install is looking for is the folder to find INF files.
            • Click on Open
            • Click OK
            • more than one ATI driver may show up. I’ve always selected the bottom one, that’s always appeared to be the newest one is found.
            • Click Next
            • The installation will now start, it’s not unusual for both screens to go blank. Be patient wait, depending on the speed of the computer it as taken as much as two minutes for the screens to come back.

Should be all set keep this driver on the side and this procedure. Windows update has a bad driver for the HD 4000 and older series. I suspect this will keep on happening each time update thanks it needs to change the ATI driver.