10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 4:53 AM by amdmatt

RX 580 Temps under load running up to 85c, idle is at ~45c.

davezeb

I have a new Dell Inspiron 5675 with Ryzen 7 1800X and a Radeon RX 580. It's fresh out of the box and unmodded. I'm running Win 10 Home.

When running 3DMark and playing Crysis 3 at max settings 1080, I'm consistently seeing temps over 80c, often 85c, and I am concerned this is too high. (Room temp is 21c)

The case is well cabled and has plenty of room. There is only 1 exhaust fan, but comparatively the CPU stays silky cool under the same loads right around 45c. I did take off the side panel and run Crysis again and all the temps remained the same. I'm also running the latest AMD Chipset with Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Would you consider this normal? Acceptable? Dangerous? Defective even? It seems I'm awfully high for such a new card.

I'd appreciate your feedback on this, as I want to get this right from the start. Thanks!

Running Windows 10 Home

16gb DDR4 2400 Kingston

GPU info is below.

I'm taking temps with NZXT CAM and also run Ryzen Master and find the temps identical within a degree and half second or so.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) RX 580

Device ID - 67DF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 1701

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - C7

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.001

BIOS Part Number - 113-D00904RE-103

BIOS Date - 2017/03/01 01:07

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 2000 MHz

Core Clock - 1266 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 256 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 8.00 Gbps

• Re: RX 580 Temps under load running up to 85c, idle is at ~45c.
          ray_m

85C is well within the operating threshold of this GPU. There is nothing to worry about.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              davezeb

Thanks very much. Good to get some feedback.

Would you know when the temp is too high?

As well, based on the conditions I mentioned (new card, stock cooler, etc...) would you expect the temps to simply remain at this level over time? i.e. if the High threshold is 90c, even though I am running at 85c, I should not expect to run up into the 90s, and can thus feel comfortable at 85c?

I should say that performance and framerate were wonderful and aside from temp, I am well pleased. The reason I bought a solid system is so I would have a solid system for some time to come without having to worry over OC to max out, etc... Plan on mostly doing video editing, not gaming, but gaming is a great way to test the system.

Thanks again!

kingfish

I would lower the 'Max' temperature in Wattman to 75c-80c:

Screenshot_1 (16).png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  davezeb

Thanks for the reminder of all that lies within the Radeon Settings program.

As I looked further into the details of Wattman, I could actually see that in fact the temps I am seeing reported are frankly exactly what the settings in the software are 'targeting'. They are set to target: 80c and max: 90c. That I find myself at 85c makes pretty good sense then.

I imagine that since AMD has set the targets this high, they in fact also consider them a safe range. As you can see in my first response, I am unsure of what the true 'high or unsafe' range would be, and so cannot speak toward that at the moment. As I consider that under the loads I was running, fan speed was not yet maxed at all, it does in fact seem a more managed and targeted result, and not actually a result of the limitation of the cooling ability of the card. I imagine that there is really no threat toward overheating in this instance and everything is 'under control'. Very interesting and insightful data, and I am thankful for your suggestion to look into Wattman.

All that being said, would you still suggest I lower the max temps, if AMD themselves have thus set them? If so, would you suggest this being a global application or a per app limitation?

Thanks again, I am very glad to learn about my hardware, how to run it, manage it and keep it in good condition.

goodplay

Crysis 3 was known to be ******* specs, read some "name of game" graphics performance tweak guides, adjust settings to suit.

I recently finished another play through on a 390(now deleted for space),can't offer settings suggestions(but shut down/disable any startup background apps, etc., not required).

One exhaust fan ?, look into adding additional case fans ?

Edit: Just noticed the missing words "h a r d on"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      davezeb

Thanks for the info. I indeed chose Crysis 3 just for that reason, to stress the system and put it through its paces. Under heaviest loads and with max settings I fall down to low 20s in FPS. Not sure what that says about the system, but it does yet remain imminently playable even at that rate. I am still due for another 16gb Ram at some point, but with a primary purpose of this machine to edit video and not play games, I am confident the 8 core 16 thread CPU will not disappoint.

As for the case fan, I've already been eyeing it up to see what I might do. The layout is actually not very conducive to modding that way. I could look into a side mounted fan if I have a need. Front is pretty well boxed in and read is the same. I'll take a wait and see stance for now, as temps with the Wattman adjustment are well managed.

amdmatt

glad to see that you have found the correct answer to your question.  In order to help others with a similar problem to find this answer quickly, we have locked the discussion to keep it focused on the issue you reported.