24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2017 2:39 AM by snugglesmeagol

RX 580 Black Screen While Gaming - Windows 10 - 17.9.3

gr8-1

Hi,

Sorry I was unable to post this typewritten as I kept getting an error message saying "Discussion blocked due to potentially offensive language", so I post an attached image of the question instead.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Black screen and signal lost after gaming for awhile with RX580
          pegasus2

I've heard of various things working for different people but no single solution either. I have the same issue, but with a RX550.

I looked up your screen to see if it was similar to mine, it's not, it's not even running on the same input interface. I was thinking it might be a monitor interface issue only affecting certain people but obviously not.

Right now i'd try limiting the power use, or increasing it in Wattman, try -50% then +50% and see if you get more stability. Other thingfs could include disabling GPS scaling or forcing it to 'Full Panel' instead of 'Preserve aspect ratio'. You might alwo want to try changin the colour depth or whateverit is, I can't remember but it's in Radeon settings and default is 8, try 6. You could also under clock the card and check it's showing up correctly in device manager along with your monitor. These have supposedly worked for some people  but I think it's very hit and miss.

The only logical thing I can see is that we can't all have duff PSU's. So a PSU problem is, in my mind, less and less likely.

blackheart6004

I had the same problem on my R7 360. After numerous research of the same problem, I've decided to go into Wattman and change the frequency percentage on the GPU. Putting it to -52% (530MHz) stopped the black screen crashes and the godawful annoying buzzing sound.

Was able to play World of Warcraft for an hour without the issue (Black screen crash at around 2-3 mins at the default frequency setting, which is 1095MHz). Really worked for me.

hardcoregames™

This is a problem with Windows 10. Like above, increase he available power with Wattman to max which will help prevent the card from starving for power when it's needed.

On principle I suggest all Radeon users max out the extra power so that the card will achieve more performance.

gr8-1

Do u mean increasing the power limit to +50%? Cause I've already tried that on the 17.9.3 wattman and was still getting the issue.

Ive yet to try dropping the gpu frequency though, or dropping the power limit to -50%

gr8-1

I just tried dropping my power limit to -50% in Wattman, though on an earlier driver version 17.1.1, and it seems to be more stable, in the sense that it took longer for the black screen issue to occur, at around 25-30mins of gaming this time. Is this a good thing, to drop the power limit this way? Could this come with some negative side effect for the card?

In any case, I'm going to reinstall the latest drivers 17.9.3 with Wattman and try out some of the other suggestions above.

hardcoregames™

download MSI Afterburner and install it and setup the OSD to show the GPU temperature and see if its overheating

pegasus2

It's fine to drop or increase the power, the only issue is you'll potentially see a fair bit less performance from the card and it will run cooler if you drop it. That would be unacceptable to me though, as you've baught a card with XYZ specification and there is the expectation that it will perform to the advertised standard, not 500Mhz less or on half power.

Also, this isn't Windows 10 specific. I'm on Win 7 64.

gr8-1

So I reinstalled 17.9.3 Wattman, and did the other suggestions above:

- -50%, 0 and +50% power limit

- disabling GPU scaling

- force to Full Panel

- was unable to change color depth,8 was the only option available

Basically doing the above, still gave me the black screen issue after roughly about 10-20 minutes of Forza Horizon 3. Typically it happens after the temps reach about 75-77 deg, and I'm not sure if this is considered overheating.

So far the most stable change is to underclock the card in Wattman. I tried dropping the GPU frequency % to 52%, and I was unable to get the black screen issue even after 45 minutes of FH3. But of course, FPS took a hit, with the average FPS on Ultra dropping from a stable 60 to about 40-45 fps, with the max temps staying at 64 deg. Even though its stable, as mentioned above, this isnt really acceptable, as the card is essentially running at half the advertised capacity.

On another note, I've been reading that the GTX 1060 is more or less on par with the 580 in terms of performance, and also with less power consumption. I'm contemplating bringing the 580 back to the store and potentially replacing it with the 1060, but since I've never used an Nvidia card before, I'm unsure if the lower power draw on the 1060 might help to eliminate this black screen issue.

hardcoregames™

Your comments suggest that there may be a problem with your card. See if you can an RMA for it.

pegasus2

Starting to think the card is drawing too much power and crashing the motherboard in some fashion.

Just shutting off like it has is either overheating (which i'm fairly sure it's not, wattman says its not) or some power issue, we can't all have failing PSU's and we both have 800+watts available, that leaves the card overwhelming the motherboard or a duff card crashing the PCIE interface.

I'm assuming not everyone who has bought an RX card is having the issue, so I presume that makes is not totally a driver problem.

It would also explain why the motherboard hard reset doesn't work after a crash, why all the fans start spinning at max chat (There is still PSU power available, only the controller software, which requires the motherboard has crashed), why the card is more stable when undervolting and when setting the power draw to -50% or reducing the gpu frequency. (although there are other possible reasons for these latter points)

I haven't tested for this, I wish I could but I'm running out of other ideas right now.

I took my 560 out and i've put my old 6790 back in (which has 2x 6 pin PCI-E for 150watts, then another 75w from the mobo, totaling 225watts total. The RX560 or 580 in your case, is more powerful, only has one 6 pin and the PCIE available, totalling 150w available), switched the drivers over and there are no problems.

My motherboard is 2011 spec, so it's getting on a bit, maybe it can't handle the power draw thought the PCI slot and falls over or trips some protection?

I looked up your motherboard and see it was also released in 2011.

EDIT: Looked up the 580+ Nitro and I see it has a 8pin and 6pin PCIE power connectors, that should allow it to draw up to 300watts altogether. I assume you have them both connected? If so, sinks my theory a little bit for your case.

Please, poke holes in my logic.

snugglesmeagol

I had problems with two different XFX RX 580 models. Any load would drop signal to monitor. Everything is at stock speeds. I'd been working on this for over a week when I saw someone mention changing "Power Limit" in WattMan.  Changing it from the default of 0 to +50 seems to have resolved the issue. I would be interested to know why this helps or is required when everything else is set to stock.  A lot of people have this problem on the internet, but there does not seem to be a well accepted fix. Does this indicate a problem with the card or are AMD's default settings just wrong?