50 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2017 1:20 PM by overvault

Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system

overvault

Hi im reporting this here...becouse is the correct place to do it.

Hi:

This is my first post in this forum.

i tried a lot of thing and i cant find a soution for this so i hope you can help me pls.

My problem is that when im using my pc sometimes (specially when im playing games) the settings of wattman go to default and my pc turn off ( i think is becouse it overheats) and when i open it again it says "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system".

I tryed a lot of things,like check my ram,update to last versions etc.

PLS can you help me im desperate .

My card is rx480.

My OS is windows 10.

My CPU is AMD FX 8350.

I have 16 GB RAM.

My motherboard is an ASUS 970 PRO GAMING RGB

pls i hope you can help me and thank you very much.

• Re: Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system
          overvault

whiskey-foxtrot answered me this :

Hi - this post really belongs in theGraphics  -or- Drivers & Software forums.

Uninstall Asus' GPUTweak It app, COMPLETELY; if you're using any other application to overclock or alter the settings of your RX 480 card, stop doing it (uninstall them).

Try this: AMD graphics performance (turn up the power limit in Radeon Settings for your GPU).

- Have you changed the fan controls at all or modified any other setting in Radeon Settings/WattMan?

- What power supply do you have right now?

• Re: Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system
              overvault

And i answered him back with this :

Hi:

first of all sorry for posting it here my bad and thank you for your answer .

"Uninstall Asus' GPUTweak It app" what is this and how i uninstall it completely?

i didnt installed any program to overlock my graphic card but i think its already overlocked im not sure ,how i can confirm it?

i turned up the limit of power for my gpu to the maximum (50).

Yes i changed the fan speed to 1800 minimum and 3200 to maximum and the objective temperature from 75 to 70.

My power supply is a tacens mars gaming 700 W.

i hope you can help me ,thank you very much.

EDIT:i changed the limit power to the max 50 like i said above and my pc turen off again so i dont know it i must do something else,pls help me im desperat.

kingfish

Leave your fans set at automatic. Just change the power limit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      overvault

First of all thank you very much for your anwers,i just reset the wattman setting to default(automatic like you told me ) and chosed the maxmimum power which is 50,i hope it work.

If it works,why this happen? why i cant change the fan speed or other option in wattamn,it makes no sense right?

Thank you.

kingfish

Because the automatic function works. I am going to post a previous answer to another question, only because of the screenshots. If you follow that advise > Power Limit and Max temp < and leave everything else alone....run a game with Hardware Monitor running in the background. After quiting the game, check the MAX temperature and MAX fan speed. You will see that Wattman adjusts the fan speed automatically to keep the temperature at/below the designated MAX temp.

HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

Wattman fan curve does not work

AMD graphics performance

overvault

Hi:

I have the HWMONITOR program,my question is ,i  have the max power at 50  which is the maximum but do i keep the max temperature at automatic which is max. 90 and objective 75 or i change it?

And what is exactly hardware  monitor runing? sorry im new on this.

EDIT:im using the pc without playing any game and the fan speed is 700 and the temperature is 69 is this normal? maybe is becouse im from spain and is very hot here.

EDIT2:I just launched a game called overwatch and the fan speed is 1496 and the temperature is 75 (which is the objective temperature ) is notmal ? vcan i low the objective temperature to 60 or i keep it on automatic better?

Thank you.

kingfish

I can't post a screenshot, as the forum is broken, but I have a screenshot in that other post...you have to set the max temp to manual and lower it to 75c-80c....set max power limit to +50 and click 'save ' at the top of the page. Don't change anything else.

ray_m

overvault

Hi:

But there is the max temperature and the objective temperature which one i change? now i have the max temprerature on 90 and the objective one on 75 is this ok ? becouse this is the default automatic settings.

kingfish

NO. Put it like the picture in the other post.

Open Wattman.

Change one setting only:

As pictured.....exactly. Do not change anything else...leave fans speed, etc. at Default (automatic).

Only lower MAX to 80c...leave "Target" at 45c. Done.

Click apply.The fans will become involved when the temp hits 45c and will gradually increase as needed to keep under the 80c Max.

You can also increase the Power Limit to +50. AMD graphics performance

overvault

hi:

Thank you very very much for your help man and sorry i just saw the post you told me i  hope it works ty .

only one last question, i live in spain and is really hot here this days,so if the gpu reach 80 and stay at this point is normal? becouse i hace the pc open to get better temperature and i tounch the gpu and at 80 is very hot , it is normal for a gpu be in that range of temperature? ty.

kingfish

The default is 95c.....80c is not hot under load.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                      overvault

Ok thank you very much for all the help .

whiskey-foxtrot

Is it safe to assume that your problem has been solved? If so, mark your question as solved so it can help others out. As Kingfish and I pointed out, auto settings are generally the best option on other settings in Radeon WattMan, with the power limit set to the max - unless there's an underlying problem such as a software conflict. In most cases using any other application than Radeon Settings to overclock or adjust parameters can cause instability issues.

You can OC (and undervolt) your GPU, but it will take a lot of testing to see what works best and as you'll notice (if you go that route), not all games like the same settings. So again, testing will have to be done and separate settings will have to be saved per game in the profiles.

Good luck!

overvault

Hi :

Thank you guys i marked all your answers as useful today i had 0 crashes and its working fine until now.

How i mark the question as answered? i dont see it sorry.

About changing setting im confused XD you and KINGFISH told me that i must not change anything except the max power and the temperatures,so i cant try diferent configurations and save it on the profile right? or i will have the problem again right?

Thank you.

kingfish

Don't change anything else. You don't need to. Your going to wind up with a screwed _up computer again. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

overvault

hi thank you KINGFISH for all the help man i appreciate it.

today its works perfect im playing overwatch and it goes to max 64 maximum even when here today is very hot.

As you said i keep the fan speeds on automatic but it reaches 2300 rpm whichi is my target settiong,do you think i must change it to 2500 for example ? or is normal like this?

PD:D oyou thikn AMD will fix this anytime? is so sad having all this options and we cant change anything i think it is AMD fault right?

kingfish

That's normal..and expected. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE...I can't be any clearer. Just enjoy your card and ignore anything else. It's the people who think they can adjust their fans who have all the issues.

overvault

than kyuo very much man, forgive me XD its just im now on tis and see all this options and get crazy,i will not change anything else like you told me.

kingfish

"see all this options and get crazy"...I understand. Half the posts on this forum are caused by that. Fight the urge.....

overvault

Hi:

Hi man i dont know if you can read this or i must create a new post i hope you can read it.

i did exactly what you told me:

1.Resent the setting to default.

2.Put the power of the gpu to the maximum which is 50 .

3.And finally put the temperatures on 80 and 45 .

But i still have the same problem since the las time (25 september) the pc shut down like 3 or 4 times i even tried to just put the setting on default and didnt change anything and i had the same problem.

My settings get to default : "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system" and i think is that it happen even when the pc is not how it just happens ramdomly becouse some days  when i wake up and turn on the pc some days the setting are reseted and some not.

i dont know what to do,i readed in some yt videos that it may be the proccesor how stop wattman when wattman try to overlock it , im not sure i dont know if this is the problem.

I hope you can help me ,than kyou very much.

kingfish

Are you certain you have no Asus controller involved? Check your programs. AI Suite 3 ? Bios Utility?

spikeypup

Hi Overvault,

Your problem may be beyond the Video Card / RX480 and may be with the system itself such as the power supply or motherboard.  Although more than likely it would be your Power Supply before it would be your Motherboard.  With the settings you have been advised to use, everything should work very well and stay at temperatures that are stable and cool, even though it is warm in Spain.  However, you do mention it is very hot right now, how hot is it in the room that  you are in?  Is it 30degrees, 35 degrees?

Even though your video card can stay cooler between 60-75 degrees, it has forced cooling on it, so even though the ambient room temperature (you mentioned you have your case open to keep heat down) may be around 30degrees or higher, the graphics card can stay around 60-75 while playing because of the fans directly attached to it.  The message of Wattman settings being reset to default can come about for many reasons, it's really a safeguard that is there to allow the card to function should you set it in some way that is very unstable or if a critical error occurs.  For example if an application crashes while using the GPU, generally the application will just crash, however depending on what is happening with the GPU at the time and what is being communicated between the application, the driver, and the GPU, Windows or the RX Driver can interpret the crash as something wrong with the GPU's ability to communicate (this specifically happens like in the case of a TDR, which is where the application loses the ability to communicate with the GPU or to submit GPU work, forcing the OS to reset the display driver and subsystem).  So this will then result more often than not that Wattman Settings will get reset due to the unexpected system error/failure, it doesn't always have to be directly related to the GPU, it really just matters what is happening at the time of the failure so the OS and the drivers may sometimes make the assumption that it is best to reset the GPU Wattman settings as a precaution or as a fix.

I mention all of that because based on your description so far, I believe you should evaluate the following suggestions below:

Symptoms:

a. System SHUTS DOWN (Powers Off) during usage

b. Ambient temperatures are high (Problems started during Hot Summer)

c. Wattman continually resetting to default (Sometimes without user engaging or being present at system)

Possible Causes/Solutions:

(Note: Check your power options to ensure that your computer is set to "High Performance" mode to rule out any possibility of the OS/Other hardware making poor power adjustments to your system that result in this problem.  Use WIN+R, that's the windows key and the "R" key, type "control" in the run box, without the quotation marks, and press enter, find and select "power options/Opciones De Power, once that panel is open set it to High Performance/ Alto rendimiento)

1. Check your CPU temperatures.  Use something like HWmonitor or another application like Realtemp, to monitor the temperatures of your CPU cores, especially while playing a game or doing something intensive on the system.  If the temperatures are staying higher than 70-80Degrees constantly, or going very high like 85-90+, you need to check your cooling solution on your CPU:

a. Check to ensure that your Fan is clean and the fins of the cooler are clean as well, if you have a waterpump/block check to ensure fluid is flowing, if you cannot      see the fluid itself, gently hold the lines with your fingers to feel for the flow of fluid.

b. Check to see that the Cooler/Waterblock is attached correctly and firmly to the CPU via it's fitting/bracket.  If the cooler or block moves easily by touching it, it is      NOT secure and installed correctly.  It needs to be removed, cleaned (CPU & Cooler Surface), thermal paste needs to be reapplied, and then the cooler can be      correctly and firmly installed onto the CPU.

2. Check your Power Supply.  Although the unit you mentioned is definitely rated high enough for your system; and based on the specifications and ratings as well as the user feedback regarding this unit, it should be ok and not necessarily the problem, however, under extreme heat, including ambient heat, if the fan is not functioning properly on the unit, this could be causing power delivery issues in your system.

a. Check that the fans in the power supply are functioning properly and that the air coming out is not abnormally or extremely hot.

b. Diagnosing voltage output issues can be difficult without the appropriate tools or monitoring software and motherboard to go with it, and would be a last step      after all of these various solutions.

3. Ambient temperature is too high for Motherboard.  Some motherboards will shutdown under extreme ambient temperatures, although this probably isn't the problem as the temps usually must exceed 40-50 degrees for this to occur, it is possible if one of the sensors is located in a hot spot of the motherboard/system and your ambient air temperature is already over 30 degrees.

a. Since you mentioned your case is already open, try to place a desk fan or large fan next to it to blow directly into it to keep the air flowing and cool down the      board, this will help prevent errors or thermal shutdown.

4.  Check your Mains Outlet/Power Outlet.  Ensure that your system is not plugged into the same mains outlet or power outlet as an air conditioner unit, large motor or compressor, or anything that draws a large quantity of power when in use like a Refrigerator, Electric Cooktop, Hairdryer, Etc.  This will cause power fluctuations that the power supply and VRM of the motherboard cannot compensate for and will result in a system shutdown or crash.

a. If a similar device or object as mentioned above shares the same outlet or circuit, consider moving either the computer or the other object at least temporarily      to help diagnose this issue.

Ok so you have a little work to do, let us know how it goes and if the situation improves or not.  We'll do our best to help.  Cheers!

Spikeypup

overvault

Hi and thank you for your answer.

Here in spain is like 35 degrees.

My power supply is a  tacens mars gaming 700W. ithink is enough right? plus for example yesterday i was playing starcraft and i played one game fine like 20-30 min and the pc didnt turned off but in the second game is when is turned off ,if it is a supply problem it would turen odd in the first game right?

About the solutions:

i pressed windows+r and typed control and it only show me the panel contol ,i dont see any option to control the power.

1.My pc didnt go above 65 degrees,so its fine.

About point 1.a and 1.b my pc just looks good and everything work fine and its clean ,everything is correctly positioned.

2.My power supplay works fone and the air is not very heat.

b. Diagnosing voltage output issues can be difficult without the appropriate tools or monitoring software and motherboard to go with it, and would be a last step      after all of these various solutions.

Sorry but i dont know how check this.

3. My motherboard  (cpu) EXCEEDS the 40-50 degrees,actually now i just looked the hw monitor and it is at 69 degrees even when im not playing any games .(i think the problem is that the gpu is under the motherboard and it throw the air up to the motherboard fan maybe this is the problem.

4. no i only have the pc box,monitor,wifi and printer in the same place that is it  i dont think this is the problem.

I really think that the problem is a temperature problem becouse when i open the air condictioner and the room is cold all is fine .

Thank you very much for your answer and i hope you can tell me what happens .

whiskey-foxtrot

Can we see a picture of the inside of your PC? spikeypup brought up some good points too - CPU temps and as you mentioned, when you turn up the AC, the PC seems to be fine. It could be that you may need to add some (PC) fans inside the PC to circulate air. If you have fans in there, make sure the case is closed to allow the air to actually circulate and try to remove any obstacles out of the way as to not restrict air-flow inside the case. It may not be an issue with the GPU causing the heat unless you don't have enough circulation in the PC itself.

65C for an FX-8350 CPU seems a bit high at IDLE - especially if you're not overclocking. Another issue could be the thermal-paste application on the CPU itself, or the fan not being affixed properly (spikeypup also mentioned this in his points 1a and 1b). It may appear fine just looking at it from the outside, but 1 or 2mm of a gap can cause enough heat issues! If you're not comfortable disassembling your CPU fan, have a friend who's good at it or a technician try to clean and reapply proper thermal-paste before reseating the CPU cooling fan.

overvault

Sure i can but i dont know how upload the picture here ,can you tell me how do it pls?

Plus my gpu is the one how didnt go over 65 even when im playing overwatch ,my motherboard (cpu) go to even 69 degrees.

I bought the pc november of the last year and they put me the thermal paste ,i think its ok righht? i shout change it every 2 years?

The fans of my gpy and my motherboard are just perfect they didnt vibrate and work smoothly,im just watching them and dont see anything wrong.

EDIT:i just found the way to do it sorry,here is the picture of my pc,as you can see the gpu is down the motherboard and her fan and up is the power supplay ,all the fans work perfectly and all is clean (except for a very few dust and that is becouse the weather here )as you can see,plus  in the frontal part of the pc i have another fan how take cool air from outside and push it to the inside of the pc.thumbnail.jpg

And here are the pictures of my radeon configuration,as you can see all is on default except the power limit how is 50 and the temperatures 80 ad 45.Captura de pantalla (63).png

And here are my HWMONITOR stats ( im not playing any game right now i just have google chrome and a few simple thing open

Captura de pantalla (64).pngCaptura de pantalla (65).png

And this is all my programms :

Captura de pantalla (66).png

Captura de pantalla (67).png

Hope you can help me pls im so desperate .

spikeypup

This is definitely related to temperature, that is why the machine is shutting off completely, it's thermal protection, I bet it could be the processor reaching TJMAX or the mobo/chipset getting too hot.  I'm not sure which way the fan is blowing on your cooler but it almost seems it should be turned 1/4 so the fan is blowing the air out the back of the case, if that fan is blowing onto the video card, and your processor is reaching 70deg, that is a recipe for a shutdown.

The fact that you can play a little then it shuts down is a key indicator that this is a thermal problem.  Also, you asked why can you play a game shouldn't it fail immediately...well yes a powersupply can be faulty and still work fine, but it will also randomly deliver poor power either too high or too low or dirty, especially if it is too hot, and cause the motherboard VRMs to not work properly, and the PC will shut down.  However, you mentioned the A/C, so I DO NOT THINK that your power supply is bad, in fact it is a pretty good power supply.  When your A/C is running everything is fine...so there it is, this is related to temperatures.  You can leave the case open and get a desk or large fan and point it directly in the case, but you could definitely use another fan at the back to pull out the hot air and pull cool air from the front, check the direction on your CPU cooler, I don't think that is the most optimal, it should be blowing the air OUT THE BACK of the case, creating a cool air flow from the front, if you don't have fans in the front, then that is a big problem too with the way it is now, there is almost no flow/circulation to get cool air in and hot air out, especially with the panel closed.  When you have a mid-range GPU they generate A LOT of heat, you have to make sure the case is setup in a way to pull cool air from the front, and blow hot air either out the top or the back, this all depends on where the computer sits, if it is under your desk, consider moving it on top of the desk, until you can fix the airflow with more case fans, which are very inexpensive maybe 6-8 Euro for each for decent fans.  But you need to have a friend that has good computer experience help you with this I think.

This is simply a matter of too high of temperatures, and I think that your CPU cooler needs repositioning, and is probably loose against the lid of the CPU.  Let me share with you a story, I once tried to be lazy and work on my water cooler without moving my computer from under the desk, as it weighs about 20Kg, also it was dark, so I attached my water cooler, of course I put thermal grease on first, and I screwed it down, but because it was dark, I didn't notice that I missed a notch in the bracket for the water pump, and on one corner of my processor it was not touching it, by about 1mm-2mm, this caused my temperature to be 85deg ( I have an old i7960, it runs hot, it's old lol), it should be about 45-50, I couldn't figure it out, and I experienced the same crashes... I thought I put the paste on bad, so I checked, and I saw... so I just readjusted so it fit tight and flat, and the temperature went back to 40deg, that is a 45-50deg difference!  You should have a friend who is good with computers help you with this, especially if the processor is getting too hot, you could damage it.

Sorry I didn't word this well, I'm so tired and this is like my 4th epic post in the last hour.  Lol.  Good luck, let us know how it is going!

Spikeypup

overvault

Hi and thank you very much for the answer guys and all the help .

Yes as you can see by the photo of my pc the gpu is down and the fans ( im not sure if the expulse the air down or up ) but the fan of the processor definitly push the air down in the direction of the gpu.

But i dont understand " if that fan is blowing onto the video card, and your processor is reaching 70deg, that is a recipe for a shutdown" if that fan is blowing onto the video card, and your processor is reaching 70deg, that is a recipe for a shutdown"

which one are you talking about? the fan of the graphic card of the processor one? plus i always have the pc open like you see it on the picture so why this happen?

" but you could definitely use another fan at the back to pull out the hot air " but if i but a fan to pull out the air is better than just keep my pc open? 

Did that really make sense? im so angry with the company ,couse i bought the pc from a company here in span that you chose the pieces and they build the pc and check if all is fine and then send it to you (xso i pay extra to make the build it and check that the pc pieces make sense and work together)....i already sent them the pc on december last year becouse when the pc arrived the screen turn pink when i start paly a game and  they keep the pc there for a month....it was there fault.

Do you think i must send it again to them becouse the 2 years garante ? or they will not solve anything and i just buy and put another fan ?...i dont wanna be without pc for another month .

Isnt this a build pc error? that shouldnt happen right? is not my fault.

"check the direction on your CPU cooler, I don't think that is the most optimal," i dont know how change it ,like i said the air  go down in the direction of the gpu .

" creating a cool air flow from the front, if you don't have fans in the front, then that is a big problem too with the way it is now, there is almost no flow/circulation to get cool air in and hot air out, yes i have a fan in the fronal part of the pc to push fresh air to the center of the pc.

"especially with the panel closed." i have the panel open all the time ,that is why im so desperate,the aire move freely in the pc in total i have 4 fans ( 2gpu,1 porcessor and one in the frontal part of the case).

"this all depends on where the computer sits, if it is under your desk, consider moving it on top of the desk" i moved it already 2 months ago to the top of my desk.

"But you need to have a friend that has good computer experience help you with this I think " that is why im thinking on send the pc back to the factory ...but i dont wanna be without pc for like a month .

Did you saw my other pictures? what you think  about the temperatures of the hwmonitor?

Pls tell me if i should sent it back or what  becouse u have the pc top of the desk,i have it all time open ,i have 4 fans and i always tought is a temperature problem but not from the gpu but the processor ,i dont know...my pc is open and the aire move well.

Pls tell me what would you do in my case, and thank you very much for all the help.

spikeypup

I mean to say that if that processor is reaching 70deg, and the fan is blowing down onto the video card, that is a bad thing, it will cause the GPU to overheat easily, it should be expulsing the air at the rear of the case, and I also believe that your CPU cooler is probably in need of new application of thermal paste and may not be tight properly.  When I said recipe it is something we say in the US, meaning this was a combination for disaster.

spikeypup

Oh and you are very welcome, we are here to help!

overvault

Hi man i edited the comment with a lot more info i hope it can help.

And as you can see in my hwmonitor photos the cpu and processor are ant normally 65 degrees ,is that normal or hot?

spikeypup

No problem!  Ok I saw your edits, so I think the biggest problem is the CPU cooler, it should be facing the back, you should NOT have to have your case open if the air flow is designed correctly, having that fan push down is not only bad for your GPU, it is causing the air flow to not work properly in the case.  Yes having the case closed can be better, because if the airflow is correct, this  will cause pressure in the case and correct flow of cool air coming in from the front, and then hot air blowing out the back, this will help prevent hot air from recirculating within the case, which is what is happening now, and the air just gets hotter and hotter.  With the case open, there is no pressure, so there is no real "flow" of air, it is just hot ambient air everywhere. 

I think the CPU cooler is mounted incorrectly, it should be turned so that the fan is blowing air toward the rear of the case, where  those open holes are,  it would be good to have a fan mounted at the rear there blowing out as well, this will increase the flow rate of cool air in the case and pulling the hot air out.  The CPU cooler is probably loose as well, and may need new paste, if the cooler is not pressing firmly on the processor, it cannot cool it, also if the thermal grease is exposed to hot air for long it will become dry and not work well at all, that is why the cooler must be tight against the processor, the strong contact allows the heat to travel from the processor into the grease and into the cooler, if it is not tight, the heat will be trapped in the grease and then try to move heat to air then the cooler, which is very inefficient.  Over long time, this could cause problems with your processor.

If you don't have a friend who can do this, maybe a local shop can help you or someone at the local college in computer repair will be happy to help you fix this, instead of sending your computer back.  The procedure is really not that difficult and I'm sure you could do it yourself.  See this video here, take note to the direction of how it is blowing, which is directly out the back.

How to reinstall cooler:  How to Upgrade CPU Cooler // How to Replace CPU Cooler or Heatsink - YouTube

It's hard to say what to do, I understand your dilemma, it's hard for me to say because I do this stuff for a living so it is easy to me, so I would just do it, but if you are very uncomfortable with this, then you should seek help from local shop, local college/computer repair school, or last option, send it back and make sure they correct the airflow and re-install cooler with new paste.

What do you think?  Let me know. 

Spikeypup

overvault

hi :

"you should NOT have to have your case open if the air flow is designed correctly" But if i have the case open the problem should be solver right? even if the cooler of the cpu is not facing the back?

i think the cpu fan is pushing up to cool the metalic piece right? it makes more sense  as you can see in the picture so i dont think the cooler of the cpu is pushing hot air to the gpu,maybe the gpu is pushing the air up to cool the gpu and it  is going hot air to the cpu fan right? but having the case open should solve that right?

so you recomend me close the case and see if it works?becouse i opened the case since i put the pc up here on the desk,maybe if i close it now it works fine.

i checked it and the cooler is correctly mounted on the processor,the cooler take air from above and push it up to the metalic part to cool the processor ,so you think it must be turned the fan to the right to the air come from the right go throw the metalic part and go to the left open part? is than posible?

i will try to close the case and see if it works since like i told you ,i never tryed that with the pc up here,maybe it work.

i will see the video and try do it .

Just one question,(im sure the is no space betweer the cooler and the procesor and it is fin ,they put me the termal paste in november so i think it should be ok right?

If not i will send the pc back ,but that piss me off so much...this company is the biggest pc seller company here in spain,and i payed to them to build the pc and to check that is work correctly...they already messed it up with the graphic card like i told you and they admited there error...how can they mount a cooler so bad? they should be profesionals.....

Anyways that you very much,tomorrow i will see the video and close the case to see what happens.

overvault

Hi:

i just have one question, im my hw monitor i can see that normally the cpu is 70 degree and the processor 60,that is whn im notr playing any game,do you think this temperature is normal? and if not what should be a normal temperature for both? than you.

spikeypup

Sorry it has taken so long for a reply, I've been busy and not feeling well.  OK so if those temps are in C, which I'm sure they are since that's what we have been talking in and not F (Farenheit), then YES THOSE TEMPS ARE WAY TOO HIGH for idle.   I'm very sorry I should have looked at those HWMonitor pictures sooner... See here is the specification for the FX-8350:

I believe that your cooler is not attached properly, even if the blower were attached wrong, but still blowing, it shouldn't reach this temperature of 65-70deg while idle.  I don't own an AMD FX-8350 so I'm not sure what a standard idle temperature is supposed to be but I believe it is supposed to be around 30-35 degrees C, and  between 55-62 degrees C when under a full load of activity.

Your cooler is probably not making proper contact/connection to the CPU chip, it might be loose.  In this case yes you can try to tighten the unit, by tightening the screws one or two twists at a time in a corner to corner style, meaning 2 twists top right, 2 twists bottom left, 2 twists top left, 2 twists bottom right, until they are all tightened, if one already feels more tight than the others, then yes, your cooler is not level/flat against the processor and that is the problem, you will need to loosen it until you can evenly distribute the force by screwing it back down in the method I just described.

Now honestly, it will probably need new thermal compound like Arctic Silver or Arctic Cooling and others:

As in the video I posted before you should follow those steps exactly, remove the current cooler completely, clean the heatsink fins and fan by blowing compressed air or using a vacuum with a brush attachment, then clean the contact surface (where the cooler touches the processor) with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol completely using a coffee filter or a paper towel, clean it until no more compound can be seen at all on the towel/filter, allow to dry, clean the top of the processor as well, ensuring you don't get the towel or filter too wet with alcohol so it doesn't get everywhere, just moisten it enough to help take off the existing grease using gentle wiping and folding from edge to edge of the CPU, try to avoid getting any of the paste over the sides and into the socket, just go slow and use firm pressure.  Again, cleaning until no residue is left on the towel/filter.  Once dry, you apply a small pea/pellet size drop of thermal paste onto the center of the top of the CPU, and carefully place the CPU cooler, properly aligned for mounting, onto the top, spreading the pressure evenly avoiding lifting back off, as you want to avoid any air pockets or bubbles for optimal application.  Once it is resting squarely on top, you can begin tightening the cooler down, again, going from corner to opposite corner as I mentioned above, doing it this way you apply even pressure and ensure a good solid fit and contact, since you've removed the cooler completely you don't have to do it 2 twists at a time, you can probably do 3-5 twists at a time from corner to opposite corner.  Typically you will stop tightening when you can no longer turn the screw with a minor amount of force, depending on your motherboard and if there is a cooler bracket or support underneath you don't want to try to go too hard as it could cause damage, but honestly, it takes A LOT of force/pressure to do that, just know that you need to basically reach the point where you can't turn the screw any further without straining yourself and you should be ok, just ensure it's TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT, this minimizes air bubbles and  gapping, and allows the heat to optimally travel from the lid of the CPU through the paste and onto the cooler surface, if it is loose or has too many bubbles/air, then heat gets trapped and cannot move effectively to the cooler unit and will trap the heat in and on your processor.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then your local computer shop can do this for you, and will have all the supplies they need or at least they should have (the thermal grease, cleaner, etc.) and it shouldn't cost you too much, but I have no idea what these services would cost in your area to be honest.  Honestly if you know how to turn a screwdriver, and you know how to use care while wiping something clean, you can do this yourself.  The thermal compound should be available for around 5-9 Euros for a large amount, much more than you'll need.  Again, you should only apply about a small pea size, please review that video link I sent previously it will show you everything I just  mentioned start to finish and show how much grease I am talking about.

This is more than likely 99% your problem right now.  Based on all your feedback and images, and based on our discussions, I believe this to be the problem with your system.  It is one that you need to fix as soon as possible, as operating at such high temperatures may cause damage to the CPU as well as other components in your system.  Again if you are going to remount the cooler, do it as the guy does in the video, with the fan blowing OUT the back of the case, if necessary for mounting you might need to reverse the mounting of the fan, that is simple, just unscrew it and flip it around and screw it back on.  Having it blow down is not good on your GPU and it's so close to the CPU that it is just blowing the hot air right back across the heatsink, effectively feeding your cooler hot air and not cool air as I previously discussed in regards to your airflow.

Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!

Spikeypup

ebojager

Just an FYI, anytime I set my power limit over 10, I can get the crashes and wattman settings have been restored notification. I don't know why I cant go over 10 and others can go higher, but thats how it is on mine. Iam able to overclock my RX480 to 1420/2200 at +10 and all voltage and fan limits on auto though. I seem to do better with the auto fan curve than when I manually set it, but  I probably didn't set things right or something.

_brave_

I have the same card, a Sapphire RX480 nitro+, and after updating the drivers to version 17.9.3, I'm experiencing some monitor signals lost. The game is running normally for a few minutes, so the monitor loses the signal and informs you that the video format is not supported. And my fan information on wattmann is even bugged after updating drivers to version 17.9.3.

kingfish

And have you reported this problem to AMD? AMD Issue Reporting Form

There is also the "Online Issue Report" on the Wattman 'Preferences' page.