8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 12:47 AM by cc0

Bizarre, Low Temperatures on 1950X while OC'd to 4.0 GHz (Lower Than Ambient?)

drtrmiller

Setup:
      CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X
      Cooler: Corsair h115i AIO Liquid Cooling
      Mobo: ASUS Zenith Extreme
      RAM: 4x8GB, Corsair 3000 MHz
      GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
      PSU: Corsair HX750i, 750W

After loading the pre-set 4.0 GHz profile in BIOS for the ASUS Zenith Extreme mobo with a 1950x installed, and changing the voltage to 1.3875 using Ryzen Master (was unstable at the default OC voltage of 1.35 v), my temperature readings have dropped dramatically—even lower than my ambient temps.  I'm wondering if this low voltage, which is perfectly stable running Cinebench and Prime95, is not providing the sensors with correct temp data to report?

It looks like when the CPU is not under any load, the cores drop down to 2.2 GHz with an insanely low voltage of 0.8875—this seems to be when I'm getting the crazy low temperature readings.  Under load, one or more cores clock at 4.0 GHz and the voltage goes to the set 1.3875.  However, even then, the temp after a multi-core run of Cinebench 15 yields 36.5 C in Ryzen Master at about 25 C ambient.

Ignore the low memory clocks—I don't have DOCP enabled.

(Frequency and voltage while Idle)

Img1.jpg

(Frequency and voltage when at least one core working)

Img2.jpg

Cinebench 15 scores show the processor working extremely well, ranging from 3100 to a high of 3311 while OC'd at 4.0 GHz.

Img 3.jpg

The ASUS mobo normally displays the tCTL CPU temp on the onboard OLED, but it's now giving me ridiculous readings of 9 C or so at idle.  Earlier, the OLED was displaying CPU error codes while in Windows, even while the PC was functioning perfectly (Codes 0C and then D3 "Check CPU").

IMG_20170819_135603.jpg

Anyone know what on earth is going on?

• Re: Bizarre, Low Temperatures on 1950X while OC'd to 4.0 GHz (Lower Than Ambient?)
          hotrith

wow, make a oc to 6Ghz... try using CPUID "HWMonitor" and see what it say there, but the reading in your mobo it seams faulty.

• Re: Bizarre, Low Temperatures on 1950X while OC'd to 4.0 GHz (Lower Than Ambient?)
            jfotos

I had the same exact issue when I loaded the 4.0 OC profile on the board. Everything was reporting that, even Ryzen Master. I am using a kraken x62. Eventually the system failed and it rebooted to reset bios settings so im guessing that the stock Kraken settings were not enough to keep up and the inaccurate temps were hiding overheating. I haven't done anything to it since the reset and the problem hasn't returned. Which BIOS version are you on?

gkeawe

Here's a more accurate temperature reported by Ryzen Master on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter using the Windows balanced plan on an Asrock X399 Taichi mainboard. The 1950X is utilizing an EVGA CLC120. The temperature is consistent with HWMonitor.

idle_temps_windows_balanced_plan.jpg

WP_20170817_09_34_49_Rich.jpg

gkeawe

HWiNFO64 reporting Idle temps at 2.2GHz

hwinfo_temps_summary.jpg

rusdtyshackelford

Just bought one too I thought it was weird too. My cpu temp ranges from 31- 32 something. Are you also getting really low fps in games? I can only get 59 fps thinking it might be the cpu. 3dmark gave me a 5903 cpu score what was yours?

holydanoxx

Hi mate good morning.

I think is kind of late but I'm gonna post it anyway.

I have the same issue as you when i load the 4GHZ OC preset profile of my Asus Zenith with my 1950x my temps where insanly low.

I notice that the low temps where for the CPU Diode as you can see the AIDA64 can show the temps. For the CPU 13C and for the Diode CPU 13. The voltage was at 1.375V.

Here's a pic of the MOBO screen.

The system was very stable, so i decided to roll it back to the stock settings 3.7GHZ.

So my temps raise again to 42C for the CPU and for the CPU Diode. And my voltage was about 1.2V

And here are the pics of the results:

Here's a pic of the MOBO screen.

Do anyone know what happened there?

My System Specs are:

COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62

MOBO: ASUS Zenith Extreme

RAM: 4x8GB, GSKIL RIPJAWS IV 2400 MHz

GPU: 2X ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX

PSU: EVGA 1000P2, 1000W

FANS: 4X120MM AF120, 2X140MM  SP140 FOR THE KRAKEN

CASE: Corsair Air 540.

cc0

I think I have found the cause, I believe it is a bug in the bios.

I have seen it happen in bios versions 1003 and 0902, I don't recall this happening in older versions, but I didn't go back and re test them all.

In my case I was unlucky as a chip on the motherboard burnt out as a result of it, I didn't realise the temps were so low, it was a hot summer day and the fans were not ramping up, check this.

004 - PU1303 - R30 1718.jpg

I have since bought a new Zenith Extreme and sent the old one back as it is still under guarantee, I hope they replace it and find the fault.

After doing a bunch of testing I was able to recreate the problem on my new motherboard, I found that it happens with either of these bios configurations.

Overclocking Enhancement: Enabled

Core Performance Boost: Disabled

Overclocking Enhancement: Enabled

Core Performance Boost: Auto

I haven't seen it happen with any other combination.

As core performance boost makes the CPU auto turbo boost and I normally want this off when overclocking, I now make sure both settings are disabled to avoid this issue.

It would be interesting to know if this happens on your boards with different settings or if this is a consistent way to reproduce the issue, the 4Ghz OC profile uses Enabled and Auto so it seems to fit with my findings.

Anyways, I hope this helps you all and you can avoid breaking your board like I did. :-)

System Specs:

MOBO: ASUS Zenith Extreme x399

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Quad Channel Kit

GPU: 2 x GTX 1070 Ti 8GB STRIX SLI

PSU: Corsair HXi 1200W Full Modular 80+ Platinum

CASE: Corsair 570X

COOLER: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360 (Using 3 x 120mm Fans at front)

CASE FANS: 3 x 120mm (1 at back 2 at the top)