23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2017 11:17 AM by john007

Sapphire TriXX & MSI AB not working with 17.7.2 WHQL atm + 300/500 Problem solved on Fiji

loccothan

Driver is WORKING NP !!!

For OC you can have only Wattman atm.

All you need to do is:

Delete all OC software (TriXX in my case)
      Reboot + Reset Wattman in 17.7.1 whql (or other)
      Then Reboot and Install New and shiny 17.7.2 WHQL

====

On My Fury (with tMOD + HBM vMOD)

This is only [U]TriXX 5.2.1 MOD[/U] that is working OK with all drivers up to new one !

TriXX 6.3/6.4 not working for me

IMO they messed up something and thats all

Like in 17.2.1 EDID lolZ <-

Waiting for 17.8.x

-> Here my working TriXX ( up to 17.7.1 WHQL)

(If you can't OC your GPU in any tool -> try this baby, Moded & HEX edited by me )

https://mega.nz/#!Ac82AB7T!zsxYESeVStmCSvjFCoVJO8epkAeBbsWkk3baV7yTonc

Here our RadeonMOD ->  RadeonMod (Tweak Utility) - Guru3D.com Forums

And Fiji HBM MODs -> Fiji Bios Editing ( Fury / Fury X / Nano / Radeon Pro Duo )

• Re: Sapphire TriXX & MSI AB not working with 17.7.2 WHQL atm + 300/500 Problem solved on Fiji
          colesdav

Hello,

I am not sure if this post is relevant to my card / situation.

I was just trying to overclock the HBM memory on my R9 Nano (FuryX) cards.
          I have 2 cards. One in Primary PCIe_x16 Slot and one in Secondary Slot PCIe_x16 Slot of Asus Z97 Deluxe Motherboard. 

Although I tend not to overclock the HBM memory, I have done so in the past by downloading Sapphire Trixx or using MSI Afterburner and applying appropriate settings.
          In earlier versions of AMD Crimson I was able to see and use an HBM Clock Slider in Crimson GUI when I used these tools.

I am currently running with AMD Crimson ReLive 17.4.4 WHQL on Windows 8.1 64bit.
          Global Crossfire is off.
          I am runnng the cards as GPU Compute Units at the moment and I am benchmarking their performance.
          I wanted to look at the effect of a small HBM Memory Overclock on the Compute Performance (500MHz -> 510 MHz).

If I try Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner (Latest Versions) to set the HBM Clock only and hit apply and then I go to use AMD Crimson Wattman.
          I can change all settings for the Primary Card in Wattman, and the HBM Clock for the Primary Card is set to 510MHz.
          I can only change the Power Target, Temp Target and Fan Speed for the secondary card.
          Wattman Displays the Secondary Card running with HBM2 CLK of 510 MHz.
          The Frequency and voltage settings for the second card are greyed out.

When I run a benchmark it reports that the Primary Card is running at expected overclock, whereas the secondary card is running at Minimum Clock Speed on GPU and HBM2 memory. My benchmark scores, using both cards in parallel are needless to say, rubbish.

So, could I please ask does it sound like your mod is what I need to overclock my R9 Nano HBM?

Alternatively, does anyone know why HBM overclocking is not enabled in AMD Crimson ReLive Wattman for R9 Nano by now?
          AMD must have enough data to know what is or what is not a reasonably safe level of overclocking on an R9 Nano by now.
          AMD are allowing overclocking on HBM2 for Vega Cards so ... that would tend to indicate that they may have some idea about overclocking HBM.
          As far as I understand it I am not supposed to use any other overclocking tool with AMD Crimson ReLive and I do not normally.

Thanks.

• Re: Sapphire TriXX & MSI AB not working with 17.7.2 WHQL atm + 300/500 Problem solved on Fiji
            colesdav

I downloaded and tried your modded version of Trixx on AMD Crimson ReLive 17.4.4 on Windows 8.1 64bit.
            Thanks for the link.
            It behaves the same way as the very latest version of Trixx that can be downloaded from the Sapphire Website for me.
            If I set up AMD Crimson ReLive Oveclock. Everything gets set up fine. I can adjust settings on both cards.

I can run Benchmark and get good results.

I then start Trixx and set it up to match everything in AMD Crimson ReLive except I apply a 510MHz (+10MHz) overclock on the HBM memory.
            I minimize Trixx and you can see that the second card Voltage and Frequecy settings are greyed out. HBM Freq reported as 510MHz. Second GPU sits running at 300MHz.
            The first card runs fine, but the second card is completely banjaxed and therefore my benchmark results are only slightly higher than if I were to run a single card.

All of this could of courcse be avoided if AMD could allow HBM overclocking in the R9 Nano in the first place in Crimson ReLive or tell me how to enable an HBM Slider if it is still hiding in the Crimson ReLive Software somewhere.

I also tried your Radeon Mod Utility thanks. It looks useful, but cannot be used to change HBM frequency as far as I see.

I am not comfortable with flashing the VBios on my cards.

I will try the same cards and the same Sapphire Trixx Utility on Windows 10 64bit next.
            Thanks.

Modded version of Sapphire Trixx.

Secondary GPU Frequency and Voltage Curves greyed out. GPU sitting at 300MHz and HBM2 at 510MHz.

Primary GPU settings all still adjustable. 510MHz shown on HBM clock. GPU overclock missing - it was set to +5% before and also set to +5% in Trixx, but now gone.

Bye.

colesdav

Previous versions of Trixx I tried were: TRIXX_installer_6.4.0
              Previous version of MSI Afterburner I tried was downlaoded from here: Afterburner | MSI Global

colesdav

Hello,

I tried your modded version of Sapphire Trixx in an attempt to Overclock my R9 Nano HBM2 again, this time on Windows 10 64 bit with AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2.
                Please advise if I am doing something wrong ... because it does not appear to work at all and seems to lock both GPU down to min 300/510MHz performance.

Some Screenshots again:

This time Both GPU Wattman look like this:

I ran the OpenCL Benchmark, and the performance is even lower than I saw with Windows 8.1 64 bit in this case as both GPU are locked down to min performance
                in this case.

Thanks again for your help in any case.
                Whilst it is clearly working for you, it is not working on my R9 Nanos.
                It was worth a try. If you think I have done something wrong I would be grateful to know.

Cheers.

colesdav

Please file an AMD Reporting form asking for HBM Overclocking Support to be enabled in the R9 Nano Driver.
                  Please also feel free to comment on this post.
                  HBM overclock on R9 Nano in AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2 / 17.8.2 Drivers on Windows 10/8.1 64bit?

I wasted quite a bit of time trying to get HBM overclocking to work my cards, and running benchmarks yesterday and failed.
                  The ability to moderately overclock HBM should be in the driver unless there is some reason not to.

Thanks.

colesdav

Thanks for replying.

How is it a new feature? Overclocking HBM on R9 Nano and Fury X cards is nothing new. Many examples of this in the past.

I am pretty sure that when enabled using Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner a Memory OC Slider appeared in at least one version of the Crimson GUI.

I could use the Crimson GUI it to overclock the HBM memory directly from the memory overclock slider in the GUI itself.

All that would be need to be done is to stop preventing an existing capability.

As far as I can see it, not being able to overclock HBM Memory is a problem.

I thought preventing overclock of HBM had been done just because it was a new technology, but AMD must have plenty of data on that by now to know what is o.k?

If I purchase one or two RX Vega I could overclock HBM2 to improve the performance of RX Vega Cards.

I am currently trying to test OpenCL Benchmark performance between the R9 Nano and RX Vega / Vega FE  (based on other peoples kind help and inputs).

To get a fair comparison between my current set up I wanted to overclock the HBM on my R9 Nanos to compare to the RX Vega.

So if I cannot overclock the HBM using the above technique I am likely limiting the performance of the R9 Nano (and Fury/FuryX Cards) versus RX Vega/FE.

Is the above not a valid point?

Why is it that HBM overclocking using Sapphire Trixx / MSI Afterburner suddenly becomes disabled at this time?

Is AMD deliberately limiting the performance of the older R9 Nano,  Fury and Fury X cards around the time of the RX Vega/FE launch so the RX Vega/FE  looks better by comparison?

Is that the new definition of AMD FineWine?

While you are speaking to me, and getting off the topic of support for new features, but still on the subject of FineWine ...

Where does AMD currently stand on honoring support for features that my Graphics Card was supposed to support when it was purchased?

I am talking about Windows 8.1 64bit support for my Graphics Cards.

Is there any chance of someone pointing me to the Official AMD Statement saying that they are dropping Windows 64 Bit OS Support for AMD cards ~ 5 years before the end of Windows 8.1 64 bit extended support? Is that one even legal?I have had no driver update that I can use on Windows 8.1 64 bit since 17.4.4 WHQL.

You are practically forcing me to move to Windows 10 if I want Graphics Drivers Updates for my R9 Nanos.

My Intel Motherboards do not have full support for Windows 10, some features do not work / some drivers are missing.

I do not want to move to Windows 10 in any case.

Thanks.

amdmatt

We never supported HBM overclocking, it was never available via Wattman/Overdrive. Third party tools may have enabled it, but it was never done by AMD.

Not sure why it stopped working on third party tools, perhaps it was something to do with Overdrive API being replaced in the driver by Wattman, but i am just guessing at this point.

HBM2 does support overclocking and you can do this via Wattman, so if you do upgrade to Vega that is what you can expect.

I'm not aware of any statement regarding 8.1, sorry.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            colesdav

Regarding the Overclocking of HBM ...

Can you tell me why it is not ok to overclock HBM but it is fine to overclock HBM2?

I have submitted the AMD Reporting Form that's all I can do.
                            It may well be pointless, as may submitting AMD Reporting Form on other issues like Mass Effect Andromeda Crossfire Support, Chill causing Flickering in The Witcher 3, Multiple Compubench 2.0  issues. etc. I just submit the AMD Reports and kind of hope someone reads them sometime and maybe might do something to fix some of the issues. It would be good if AMD could add some kind of case tracking at least. I am assuming that someone in your software team does want Users to take the time to report issues?  You have fixed things in the past.

I will look into the why and when regarding Sapphire Trixx and MSI Afterburner.

RE: I'm not aware of any statement regarding 8.1, sorry.

Well can you please find out.
                            Raym has already been telling people on this forum that there will be no more Windows 8.1 64bit drivers.
                            So it must be official in some sense.
                            There really have not been any drivers I can use since 17.4.4 WHQL on Windows 8.1. 64 bit release.
                            There was an official AMD Statement regarding dropping support for Windows 8.1 32 bit. - In that case however it is pretty likely users can migrate to use 64bit OS.
                            There is nothing about dropping support for Windows 81. 64 bit. 
                            That is an entirely different situation I think.
                            It looks like AMD is trying to quietly drop support for Windows 8.1 64bit to me.
                            Nvidia still support my GTX 780Ti on latest drivers on Windows 8.1 64bit as of today.
                            There are still many Windows 8.1 Users out there.
                            In any case the numbers shouldn't really matter.
                            The OS should continue to be supported until end of extended support.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

amdmatt

I don't know why I'm afraid, i just know that we never enabled HBM overclocking.

Looks like there was a statement, here it is.

With the declining use of Windows 8.1 we have focused our efforts on providing the best experience on the operating systems that the vast majority of our users are now using. Although we no longer officially support Windows 8.1, users can try the Windows 7 driver on an “as-is” basis.

So it looks like you can try using the Windows 7 driver and installing it on 8.1. However we won't be fixing or investigating any bugs that occur on 8.1 going forward.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    colesdav

Right so ... that statement is mentioned here.
                                    AMD Releases the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 WHQL Drivers | techPowerUp

And in it's proper full context "Note that AMD is no longer supporting Windows 8/8.1 with newer RX 400 and 500 series (and also upcoming RX Vega). When asked about this, AMD provided the following statement: "With the declining use of Windows 8.1 we have focused our efforts on providing the best experience on the operating systems that the vast majority of our users are now using. Although we no longer officially support Windows 8.1, users can try the Windows 7 driver on an "as-is" basis."

By official statement I mean a proper Press Release telling users openly what is going on.
                                    There is no clear statement that support for Windows 8.1 on older cards is dropped.

I am no expert but I think AMD are almost trying to get their users to walk away at the moment with moves like this.

But now at least I know.

Thank you.

colesdav

Right so ... that statement is mentioned here.
                              AMD Releases the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 WHQL Drivers | techPowerUp

And in it's proper full context "Note that AMD is no longer supporting Windows 8/8.1 with newer RX 400 and 500 series (and also upcoming RX Vega). When asked about this, AMD provided the following statement: "With the declining use of Windows 8.1 we have focused our efforts on providing the best experience on the operating systems that the vast majority of our users are now using. Although we no longer officially support Windows 8.1, users can try the Windows 7 driver on an "as-is" basis."

By official statement I mean a proper Press Release telling users openly what is going on.
                              There is no clear statement that support for Windows 8.1 on older cards is dropped.

But now at least I know.

Thank you.

colesdav

I installed an older AMD Driver which worked with Sapphire Trixx/ MSI Afterburner tools to allow HBM Overclocking.

Here is an example where the ability to modify the HBM clock frequency seems to have improved the overall performance of my Dual R9 Nano (FuryX) running the latest 3DMark  TimeSpy DX12 test.

Note my R9 Nanos are in original shrouds now, so Air Cooled at the moment.

In the above example an underclock of the HBM Memory of 25MHz (-5%) resulted in a ~ +1% Performance increase in TimeSpy Result.

Increasing the HBM frequency to 515MHz degraded performance in this case however if I put my R9 Nano's on Waterblocks the performance should
                                increase based on past numbers.

Thanks.

colesdav

I forgot to mention I used the following Overclocking Tool with an earlier version of AMD Crimson ReLive for the above HBM Overclocking/Underclocking example result.
                                  MSI Afterburner Version 4.3.0.9267 (Compiled on 10-10-2016 20:47:05).

I also downloaded and tried Sapphire Trixx version 6.4.0 which is available from the Sapphire Website.
                                  That version of Sapphire Trixx also allows HBM Overclocking/Underclocking  with older version of AMD Crimson ReLive.
                                  I find MSI Afterburner much more convenient to use, but best if you try out Sapphire Trixx for yourself and decide. It does work.

Cheers

colesdav

Here is a nice quick comparison of HBM Overclocking on Firestrike with Dual R9 Nanos on Air with HBM set to 475: 500: 510: 525 MHz using MSI Afterburner.

As you can see in the above tests, Graphics Tests 1 and 2 perform better with HBM Overclocking.
                                    There is some run to run variation of course, due to environmental factors and randomness of Windows 10 64bit having a mind of it's own, but I have been as careful as possible.

These runs were run in sequence starting from left to right. I waited until the temperatures on each card hit the same value before launching 3DMark Firestrike.

I would expect an R9 Nanos on Waterblocks or R9 FuryX owners to to benefit more from HBM overclocking.

Please add HBM overclocking into  Radeon Crimson ReLive Settings in the future - even if it is only for the overclockers ...  or allow MSI Afterburner Memory Overclocking in your drivers.

Thank you.

loccothan

New MSI AB 4.4 beta 19 working OK for me

Also new TriXX 6.4 is working on un-Moded Furys

-> Im using AB for Fans and OverdriveN Tool for OC Profiles (working great and enchances WattMan)

-> OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs | guru3D Forums

Drivers for now is WHQL 17.9.3 -> Best driver so far for my FuryX !

B44pwPX.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        john007

Comment edited to preserve sanity.

If we can succeed in back engineering the new AMD API all could be reverted.

1 of 3 people found this helpful