5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 8:37 AM by ray_m

How Do I Rotate/Remove Wraith Spire Fan?

sodapop554

Due to how vague the instructions were & conflicting information online, resulted in the mounting of my Wraith Spire cooler the wrong way. Technically it's okay but with the logo overhanging above my RAM makes removing it impossible. I've tried a variety of Philips screwdrivers, all have failed because the fan shroud is in the way. I know there must be a way though as there's no way AMD installed it like that. I want to unscew the Wraith Spire fan from the heatsink & turn it counter clockwise once so the logo is up-top. Can someone please help me figure out how without stripping the screw or removing the heatsink entirely (which would only result in it being sideways on the left)?

• Re: How Do I Rotate/Remove Wraith Spire Fan?
          jigzaw

All you need is a cross screw driver similar to eyeglass precision screw driver set to remove the fan to the heatsink and rotate. You just be cautious as the side of the fan rubs against the the screw driver shaft even with its narrow shaft. If you want you can put a masking tape or cello tape before unscrewing the the fan and just remove it after fixing it to position. I think this was a minor hitch in production with box and vacuum formed tray was oriented this way contrary to desired position that most installers want the AMD brand oriented.

sodapop554

I'm not sure where to find one of those but even when I've tried to line up a eyeglass screw driver, the fan shroud is overhanging the screw tip so much it doesn't matter how skinny the screwdrivers shaft is. Doesn't the outer plastic shroud pop off somehow? It almost looks separate from the rest of the fan assembly.

jigzaw

The screws are not that tight when I oriented mine. I have to insert the philips head at an angle. The best way is to twist it light clockwise before unscrewing it counterclockwise. The fan shroud is sort of locked because of the glow light opaque ring on the top of the shroud. Patience and dexterity will get through it.

sodapop554

Well I've tried & they torqued the lower right one on mine down really good, now the screw is almost stripped. I'm just gonna leave it alone until I replace the entire heatsink someday with a MSI Core Frozr L or Noctua NH-U12S. Thanks for your help but I'm just gonna have to forget it & blame AMD for not bothering to attach the fan in such a way that it'd always either mount rightside up or down.

ray_m

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.