1 2 3 First Previous 190 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 8:55 AM by philectro

Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?

hifigraz

Hi, I have a not overclocked 1800X with 64 GB Ram. No XMP Profile too.

I get some instant reboots with MCE Log error Messages during Boot.:

Mai 04 07:51:52 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
      Mai 04 07:51:52 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 5: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
      Mai 04 07:51:52 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff810f9df4 MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
      Mai 04 07:51:52 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1493877105 SOCKET 0 APIC 5 microcode 800111c

Trying to decode it with mce log leads to:

Hardware event. This is not a software error.
      MCE 0
      CPU 5 5 fixed-issue reoder
      MISC d012000101000000 ADDR 1ffff810f9df4
      TIME 1493877105 Thu May 4 07:51:45 2017
        bit55 = res23
        bit57 = processor context corrupt
        bit59 = misc error valid
        bit61 = error uncorrected
        memory/cache error 'generic error mem transaction, generic transaction, level 0'
      STATUS bea0000000000108 MCGSTATUS 0
      MCGCAP 117 APICID 5 SOCKETID 0
      CPUID Vendor AMD Family 23 Model 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen R71800X

MB: Asus Prime B350m-a and switched to Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5

RAM: CMK64GX4M4A2666C16  64GB Kit

GPU: RX480

FLASH: Samsung evo pro

HDD: Maxtor Blue

Watercooled. Reboots often during idle.

So I've switched Mainboard already (Newest BIOS Versions on both), what should I switch next? Memtest 68 claims memory to be ok.

These are Linux Error messages but I had reboots with windows too.

Best Regards

Robert

• 1. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
          sr1lo

I'm experiencing the same exact issue. Occasional unexpected reboot (about once a week) at idle with the same exact error. I'm also not overclocking, and I am on the latest BIOS update for my board.

I get the same error.

mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108

mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff810b658c MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000

mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1495130516 SOCKET 0 APIC 2 microcode 800111c

System:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1600

MB: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

RAM: F4-2400C15D-16GVR

GPU: RX 470

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
            hifigraz

Hello Sr1lo,

I'm glad to hear, that I'm not alone. I'm sad that AMD does not want to answer this question. It would be ok if I have to change a component, but I really would love to know which. I've already switched the mainboard without any effect.

I will keep the thread updated.....

Kind Regards

Robert

• 3. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
              qwixt

Have you tried running with just one stick of memory as a test? If it fails with that one stick of memory, try another just in case you selected a defective one. Since you switched motherboard, it's kind of pointing to an issue with memory or the cpu itself.

What PSU are you using? Just rebooting could be a sign of a bad psu too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                hifigraz

Hi, at the moment I've 6 days of uptime. Still waiting for the next reboot.

If there will be a reboot, I'll try to remove memory sticks.

PSU Is a high prised Enermax Platinum thing and reboots are often in idle situations so I'm not quite confident, that replacing the PSU will be of a positive effect.

• 5. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                  qwixt

Good point on the idle rebooting, so no strain on psu.

• 6. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                    hifigraz

And today again dead. Next time, it will be an Intel again. At least their support is answering questions.

My PC is not usable for work this way, it's just expensive waste.

• 7. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                      hifigraz

And the next one!

Mai 20 16:08:03 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Mai 20 16:08:03 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 8: Machine Check: 0 Bank 2: 9c20400000020136

Mai 20 16:08:03 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 5a0cfd0 MISC d012000101000000 SYND b4771a4467e8 IPID 200b000000000

Mai 20 16:08:03 ryzen kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1495289277 SOCKET 0 APIC 8 microcode 800111c

• 8. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                        vcunat

I have exactly the same line in the kernel log. (1700, base clock, same=latest microcode, temperatures always < 60 deg, kernel 4.10.)

How exactly did you decode the error?  I tried mcelog-150 (latest release) and it claims the CPU family is unsupported by the tool.

• 9. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                          gkeawe

I can't speak for the original poster, but I noticed that your memory specifications use G.Skill F4-2400C15D-16GVR Ripjaw V Series. I mention this because despite some peoples success with these kits they are not certified for the AM4 platform. I also thought that I could use a kit of non-certifed G.Skill Trident Series memory modules since others were having some success as well in their builds, I since abandoned the idea and only use memory certified to run on the AM4 platform. I know that a lot of people say it's only memory and memory that runs on an intel platform should run on an AM4 platform, well my thoughts are, you can run a non-certified memory with the hopes of a stable system or run certified memory and deal with significantly less instabilities due to memory related issues due to the new processor architecture, not to mention the motherboard manufacturers ability to adapt their firmware to accommodate the new CPU. I heard that a new microcode was released to board partners and like many eagerly wait for a bios update that  will offer some relief from these memory issues for both Linux and Windows communities. Until I see the new microcode, I'm sticking with memory certified to run on the AM4 platform.

• 10. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                            sr1lo

It's listed as supported here. PRIME B350-PLUS | Motherboards | ASUS USA

There is a typo in the name though, and it is listed as F4-2400C15D-169GVR. There's an extra 9 after the 16 that denotes the size of the kit.

• 11. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                              gigabytes

A PSU does not need load to trigger a restart, there is circuitry in there that can trigger a restart with minimal load. The motherboard can trigger the restart also, along with memory, I've seen this many times. All you can do is try to narrow it down, use one memory stick and test, then replace it with second stick and test. Sometimes just reseating may correct a issue. You can blame AMD and go buy a Intel if you want, the fact is hundreds of thousand of people around the world are running Ryzens on various boards without issues. I guess if it turns out you have a bad stick of memory, you will never buy that brand again, sooner or later there will be nobody you can buy from.

Are you using any custom software for work, legacy software, lacking updates for software? Not every programmer is a good one.

Virtual Machines?

From Wikipedia

Possible causes[edit]

Normal causes for MCE errors include overheating and/or incorrect hardware installation. Specific manually-induced causes include:

• overclocking (which normally increases heat-output)
                              • poorly-fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with excessive dust in the CPU fan)
                              • an overloaded internal or external power-supply (fixable by upgrading)

Computer software can also cause MCE errors (normally by corrupting data which programs read or write). For example, software performing read or write operations from or to non-existent memory regions can lead to confusion for the processor and/or the system bus.[citation needed] Accessing memory marked off-limits by UEFI may cause MCE errors.[3]

• 12. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                                gkeawe

Have you tried to manually set the memory voltage to say 1.35v instead of using the 1.2v, I know I tried it with some success before some of the earlier bios updates.

• 13. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                                  hifigraz

My anger is not because something isn't working it's more because nobody @AMD can read anything out of the MCE code or nobody wants to.

I've only found an probably outdated K8 documentation which leads to not usable generic error message.

I've already switched the mainboard, I've switched GPU, I've memtested the complete memory, I've tried to reduce memory sticks, and still nothing.

I see me buying two complete PCs to get one working ... sort of. Cooling is excellent. The system is not overclocked and the PSU is defenitly not overloaded. No VM yet, yes I would need one but the system is so stinky that I don't use it for work now and probably never will.

But yes I'll continue the puzzle game and switch the PSU next. ...

• 14. Re: Ryzen Instability MCE bea0000000000108? What do do next?
                                    gkeawe

Can you do  me a favor and go into the BIOS under CPU Configuration and disable SMT for the CPU. I'd like to see if it has any affect on the stability of the system with SMT disabled. I've been testing my Ryzen 1700 with and without SMT and would like to see if anyone else is getting similar results regarding random reboots and system instabilities. Keep me posted. Thanks, hang in there I know there's a reason for these issues and a workaround until the platform matures

1 2 3 First Previous