45 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 6:17 AM by amdmatt

DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with E_FAIL RX 480 Crimson 17.5.2

joshoa123

After Windows 10 Creators update any driver version after 16.6 isntalled results in games not being able to launch. The specific error message is

"DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with E_FAIL ("Attempted to create a device with the debug layer enabled and the layer is not installed.")"

then it lists my gpu, which is an RX 480 8gb and lists the current driver version. This only happens after the Creator Update

I have a photo of the same error message however it is on someone else's system. I didn't manage to get a screen shot of my own error message but it is identical other than the gpu information.

Driver Issue.PNG

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Windows 10 Creators Update and Driver issues.
          amdmatt

Please try a clean install of Crimson 17.5.1, using DDU to remove 17.4.4.

If the issue continues, please provide the essential information required.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

In addition, please mention which games crash, what settings you are using, full screen, window mode etc. Provide as much information as you can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              joshoa123

Still having the same issue.

Gpu: MSI Gamimg X RX 480 8GB

Windows 10 creators update 1703 64bit

Radeon Software driver version 17.5.1

Samsung p2770fh 1080p 60hz monitor

Asus z170-ar motherboard

Intel i5 6600k

Corsair CX650M psu

Crucial 16gb ddr4 2400mhz

Happens when launching ANY game. No matter the settings of the game It will bring up that error specified in the original post

waltc

amdmatt wrote:

Please try a clean install of Crimson 17.5.1, using DDU to remove 17.4.4.

If the issue continues, please provide the essential information required.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

In addition, please mention which games crash, what settings you are using, full screen, window mode etc. Provide as much information as you can.

Just thought I would mention that when doing a Crimson "clean install" that the previous driver is uninstalled automatically before the new driver is installed by the clean install routine itself.  I'm not sure I would recommend DDU because if it's used before the Crimson-driver "clean install" is invoked then the Crimson installer will not even present a "clean install" option, since the old driver is already gone (you just get the "install" option and nothing else); and if you try DDU *after* a clean install then all you will uninstall is the driver you just got through "clean installing"...;)  The 17.5.1 Crimsons clean install without difficulty.

I'm running the 17.5.1's and an RX-480 8GB under Win10x64 Windows Insider build 16199, and the only trouble I am having is with Tides of Numenera not launching at all and some of my games that used to work fine with VSR now no longer do, eg Witcher 3.  But I am 99% sure these problems are almost exclusively the fault of the Windows Insider (beta) build I am running, actually.

Almost forgot what I had intended to say...;)  To see for certain if the Tides issue was a local issue related to my Insider's build, I fired up Steam and downloaded and intalled the 1.1.0 version of the game on my wife's computer, which is running Win10x64 build 15063.296...which is the commercial release of the Creator's Update--and Tide installed just fine and ran perfectly the first time.  Just fyi.  Always helps to know these things when troubleshooting. She's running the latest Crimsons with an R9 380 4GB.

joshoa123

I have worse news. Now the same error is present on the non creators update version of windows after i updated to driver 17.5.2!

joshoa123

Here is an official update on my half. Installed the new driver 17.5.2 on windows version 1607, the version previously working flawlessly. Now it has the same error message as the one originally posted. However if i launch in windowed mode, the game loads. It is not until i interact with the game window in any way, just by clicking does it bring up the error.

Here is a picture before and after. Before.JPGAfter.JPG

thealphalaw

Having the same exact issue, clean install of creators update and no crossfire. Wish AMD would support their hardware.

joshoa123

Also it should be noted not all games are failing to launch now.

Games that fail:

GTA V

Battlefield 1 and 4

games that open then crash

Dead Rising

Games that work at least in the time tested,

minecraft

skyrim special edition

joshoa123

Well I'm sorry again to report that the confusion never stops, guys. Now I've found out if I uninstall and reinstall the drives enough it'll eventually work. Just uninstalled and reinstalled 17.5.2 3 or so times and now it's working. I'm so lost.

joshoa123

Another update. Currently running 17.5.2. Getting the same errors as before. However when I restart the pc sometimes games will work again. Restarting again will cause them to not work. It seems like something isn't initializing on startup?

joshoa123

Found a solution! GPU Scaling needs to be ON! when its off games wont start and will show that error. Evidently there is something causing it to reset to default off when being restarted sometimes and being on other times. Im able to duplicate the problem by turning it off, restarting, seeing that it is failing and then turning it on and not even restarting and it will work!

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                shadbr

It really worked fine after some resets? Because i already installed 17.5.2 and the problem continues. But when i saw this last message i already used ddu and put 17.3.3 again that doesn't have problems. I don't wanna do this again so soon, only if this works 100% of the time. I already tired to use DDU, restarting to Safe Mode and reseting  to have THE SAME PROBLEM since 17.4.1. bf1.jpg

shadbr

I really was hoping a fix in a install the newest driver, but seeing the same error that 17.4.x and 17.5.1 was really disgusting. Only Prey worked and with lots of lags. Rage show this error message:

Rage.1700.354669 win-x64 Release  Jan 29 2013 09:33:53

Winsock Initialized

Found interface: {A965B1C7-A4C4-4EF3-A7A7-B7616116423D} Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - 192.168.1.106/255.255.255.0

Sys_InitNetworking: adding loopback interface

------ Initializing File System ------

Current search path:

C:/Users/shado/Saved Games/id Software/Rage/base/

G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/base/

file system initialized.

BenchmarkGameData: ofs 0 and 0x1208090624x

171 microseconds

35 microseconds

31 microseconds

34 microseconds

29 microseconds

30 microseconds

32 microseconds

31 microseconds

30 microseconds

27 microseconds

Average seek time without outliers: 31 microseconds

fileBenchmarkImpliesGameIsOnHD: true

---------------------------

1 CPU package, 3 physical cores, 6 logical cores

3315 MHz AMD CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42 & AVX & HTT

65536 kB 1st level cache, 2097152 kB 2nd level cache, 8388608 kB 3rd level cache

8176 MB System Memory

execing default.cfg

execing joystick.cfg

execing default.cfg

execing joystick.cfg

execing default.cfg

execing joystick.cfg

execing default.cfg

execing joystick.cfg

ReadTitleStorage: MANUALLY CREATED

Num args: 32

chainRally_weighting = 0.40

meteorRally_weighting = 0.25

Carnage_weighting = 0.20

triadRally_weighting = 0.15

gearhead_weighting = 0.19

meteor_weighting = 0.19

reactor_weighting = 0.19

southernHighway_weighting = 0.19

abandoned_weighting = 0.19

prime_weighting = 0.05

meteor_Shower_killScore = 1

vdm_killScore = 10

rally_killScore = 1

tri_rally_killScore = 5

rallyPointScore = 2

tri_rallyPointScore = 10

meteorCapturePoints_0 = 3

meteorCapturePoints_1 = 6

meteorCapturePoints_2 = 12

meteorCapturePoints_3 = 24

meteorCapturePoints_4 = 36

meteorCapturePoints_5 = 48

meteorCapturePoints_6 = 60

meteorCapturePoints_7 = 72

meteorCapturePoints_8 = 80

meteorCapturePoints_9 = 100

itemMaxCount_vehicle/quickuse/jump = 4

itemSetCount_vehicle/quickuse/jump = 4

itemMaxCount_vehicle/quickuse/emp = 3

itemSetCount_vehicle/quickuse/emp = 3

itemMaxCount_vehicle/quickuse/boostextender = 3

itemSetCount_vehicle/quickuse/boostextender = 3

EnumerateDownloadableContent: G:\Jogos\RAGE - Complete Edition\dlc

Found DLC: dlc1...and info.txt!

Resource hashSeed = 3

...successfully mounted 'G:\Jogos\RAGE - Complete Edition\dlc/dlc1/info.txt.  ID: 1

Found DLC: dlc2...and info.txt!

Resource hashSeed = 3

...successfully mounted 'G:\Jogos\RAGE - Complete Edition\dlc/dlc2/info.txt.  ID: 2

Found DLC: dlc3...and info.txt!

Resource hashSeed = 3ffffffe

...successfully mounted 'G:\Jogos\RAGE - Complete Edition\dlc/dlc3/info.txt.  ID: 3

idLib::SetProduction( PROD_PRODUCTION )

contentpackage path:  G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc1

contentpackage id:  1

Failed to find DLC at G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc1/base/gameresources.resources

contentpackage path:  G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc2

contentpackage id:  2

Failed to find DLC at G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc2/base/gameresources.resources

contentpackage path:  G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc3

contentpackage id:  3

setting patchFileIsForVoOnly to true

Found DLC resource at G:/Jogos/RAGE - Complete Edition/dlc/dlc3/base/gameresources.resources

execing rageConfig.cfg

------- Initializing renderSystem --------

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

WARNING: No address, error: 487

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc445983(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc46ce7f(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc46d208(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc1dcd8e(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc1dce5b(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc1a391e(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfbf4e33b(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc2c9e09(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

Rage64.exe @ 0xfc46dd1f(  ) +  bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )

KERNEL32.DLL @ 0x60f42774(  ) +  bytes () : BaseThreadInitThunk(  )

ntdll.dll @ 0x611a0d61(  ) +  bytes () : RtlUserThreadStart(  )

FATAL ERROR: No valid monitors found.

Dumped console text to C:\Users\shado\Saved Games\id Software\Rage\base\ErrorLog_05-18-2017__10-45-24pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...releasing DC

No valid monitors found.

And a Dead Rising 2 error message included.

deadrising2.jpg

joshoa123

Go to your radion software and go to the display tab. Make sure gpu scaling is on. Restart. Then right click on desktop and select display properties select advanced display properties and make sure the refresh rate is that of your monitor. Mine is 60hz for example and 59 was selected. Just make sure it's the same as your monitor.

amdmatt

We have an open issue with GPU scaling not working correctly, it may be related to this. We working on that bug and hope to resolve it soon via a future driver update. Please wait for that update and then let me know if this issue continues.

rafus

Thank you! This solution works for me! driver 17.5.2 didnt fix it. (problem since 17.3 driver)

Finally this bugs:

Far cry 4 (and many others games):

aplication error (0xc0000022)

MPHC:

dx9allocatorpresent failed

d3derr_notavailable

stop appears.

GPU scaling on fix it.

EDIT: sometimes issue is back when i use system, but no need to restart, i just go to radeon settings, click off and on again, and games&MPHC back to work. And even eveything works good if i click scaling off - issue is back.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                          noelmccrory

Thank you! I just finished doing a clean install of Windows 10 the other night and got everything back working again. Then tonight, games and Steam Big Picture mode were broke again (intermittently). Creators Update must have been installed overnight.

Turned GPU Scaling and everything is working again.

This solution needs to be made wider known by AMD.

frank_mackey

It works!!!

When occur the error, just setting "gpu scaling on" (driver 17.5.2).

Thank you!

andrey1p

I confirm, the problem was solved. Rainbow Six Siege starts normally.

tinasingh

I'm having similar issues on my old netbook Lenovo ThinkPad X120E. It came with AMD E350 which is an old horse but the new creators update has made my netbook computer run pathetic. Thinking of rolling back if AMD does not release an update for the old computers.

kingfish

Don't hold your breath:

Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
                                                  • AMD E2-2000 APU
                                                  • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
                                                  • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
                                                  • AMD C-Series APUs
                                                  • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver. If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu

1. Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
                                                  2. Reboot the system
                                                  3. Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.
                                                  arucard

Ok , I myself is on the windows creator too , when I boot my computer , I want to start playing Warframe , error saying there is no graphic cards . then I try Heroes of the storm , I go into settings I can't change any resolution for Heroes of the storm , no valid resolutions found it stated , so I went into control panel system device manager , my rx 470 is there and it say it working properly , then I went to right click on the desktop and enter into Display Settings , the Resolution and Orientation is greyed out , you can't change any screen resolution. clean installation using DDU doesn't help at all , 17.5.2 I am running now also encounter this issue. I realize when my games started acting , the resolution and orientation is greyed out each time. This time I went into radeon settings to take a look my GPU scaling is "Off"

Last time to get this fix , I have restart my pc again , or even clean installation using DDU , even done format hard disk and install the latest creator build iso but the weird problem is it comes back again. So today and now , this weird problem comes back again , resolution and orientation greyed out , game acting again , I went into Radeon Settings and enable GPU Scaling "On" , now under Display Settings , resolution and orientation doesn't grey out anymore , game start working again , when I "Off" GPU Scaling the resolution and orientation is greyed out , hope it fix it because it getting really annoying !

Running windows 10 64bit  version 1703 , build 15063.296 ,sapphire rx 470 , Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.2 without ReLive , using Dell U2412M monitor, check windows update there is nothing to update

minhsane

Many thanks dude! Can confirm the issue is present on 17.5.2 (R9 390 8gb). 4 ddu clean uninstalls and installs/2 hours of reimaging I can confirm my games work! I can't thank you enough.

joshoa123

Just a small update since I last posted. Running current drivers and updates for windows 10 and the problem is still able to be duplicated. I have noticed in one instance that GTA V would stop working as soon after it started running the title screen. I turned off gpu scaling and turned it back on, no restarting or anything, and it started working again. So basically just here to say if you have any odd occurrences happen just give gpu scaling a quick off/on and things should return to normal. 

1 of 2 people found this helpful