23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 12:13 AM by spiderisk

RX 580 crashing problems

den0540i

Hello!

I came here for help after a long research. I have problems with my rx 580 aorus xtr. The problem is that my system is restarting and games are crashing. Two most common problems are when cs go loading screen appears, the system would restart. There have been some games like gta v that just froze completly with no error message.

Specs:

i7 4790

gigabyte z97x gaming 3

16gb ram

Aorus rx 580 xtr 8gb (latest amd drivers)

corsair vs650 psu

samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd

1tb wd black hdd

Things I alredy tryed:

- My psu (R9 290X ran just fine)

- Tryed the gpu in ryzen 7 1700 system (WORKED FINE except some stuttering in cs go)

- Some games run just fine (bf1, rainbow6 siege)

- Reinstalled driver 3 times

- Installed fresh win 10 install

Update:

Today I reverted drivers to 17.4.4 and cs go sees to stop crashing. I tested if things work in other games and got a crash with buzzing noise afer half an hour of playing far cry 4.

Thanks for all your answers!

• Re: RX 580 crashing problems
          amdmatt

Please try setting your Power Limit to +50% and clicking apply.

blue_minnow

I have been having the same issue every since I got my RX 580. It's definitely the Radeon software. Some versions were more stable on certain games

grunnerix

Hello,

I might have found a fix for the driver crash/restart. So, it seems to be stable only when you dial in your manual clock for the last 5 power states in wattman. (it could be an underclock, stock voltage or even an overclock ). I also tried the dynamic setting (-5%) but it keeps restarting the driver. If I manually dial in my clock for the last 5 power states, it seems to be stable (for now), even when I overclock to 1400mhz. This leads me to think it's either a driver related problem, or a PSU problem (Seasonic 520W bronze in my case), as it can't handle the switch between power phases (remember the hasswell idle problem?  ). I intend to get another PSU and see if there are any problems after that, but this should be a fix for now (I hope).

Hope this makes any sense, thanks !

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  davejb

I seem to be having the same problem as you and was excited to try this but it's unclear. In these last 5 states, should the settings be the same in each of the boxes? And you're talking about only voltages and not GPU speed? Or the other way around?

Thanks

davejb

Sorry to see that the OP isn't following this thread. I had been running a R9 280 for over 3 years on this exact PC with NEVER an issue. I upgraded to the 580 and the newest driver at the same time (I did use the driver cleanup tool). Seemed to be stable for a few days and then wammy. Kept crashing out of NBA 2k17. It would crash to the desktop and the AMD driver screen was transparent - would have to reboot. Now, I did a lot of things over a couple days but I'm quite sure it was gunnerix's tip that did it. I manually set the last 5 states to 1410 mhz (std high speed) and 1150 (mV I assume) and also ramped up the fan profile to keep it about 10 C cooler (from about 165 F to the 150's IIRC). I was able to game for quite a few hours after this change. I'll do some more testing by making one change at a time to try to narrow it down for sure.

davejb

Okay, I've been gaming for days since this last change and we're all good. Don't get me wrong, struggling with crashing for hours over days is BS - AMD needs to get this fixed. But instead of ramping up GPU speed over the last five states, I just raised the voltage to 1150mv. See below. I've also lowered the max GPU temp, the fan noise doesn't bother me since I use headphones.

wattman settings stable.PNG

Keywords: AMD RX580 Sapphire resolved fixed work around crashing

kingfish

If you lowered the "Target" (Bad choice of words) slider to 45c and the Max" to 70c-75c your fans will become involved at 45c and gradually increase as needed to keep at or under the "max" setting.

If you also raised the Power Limit to +50 you would stop throttling your card under heavy (gaming) load.

You might find you don't have to touch anything else...leave at automatic.

AMD graphics performance

Screenshot_10 (2).png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                shizo

hello guys, i have the same issue since a week.

pubg is crashing randomly, pc freezes, screens go black, even league of legends crashes and so on.

so i decided to get on this problem and try to find out what is happening.

first of all i use the msi rx 580 gaming x with 8gb (that is important i guess)

i had the issues that pubg was microstuttering every 3-4 sek, some strange "screenflashes" and sometimes it had freezes like 1-2 sek .

after a look into hwinfo, while sitting on pubg lobbyscreen, it told me that my clockspeed is bouncing between 1380 and 1150 or lower

i raised the powertarget to +50% because i thought it will be more stable on clock and maybe stop stuttering, but then the crashing was even faster and it kept stuttering.

i tried to undervolt it from 1150 mV to just 1145 mV and startet pubg. the lobby is actually a good stress test for every gpu that cant reach the fps limit of 144 fps.

so i let it run and got a crash after about 2 mins. gpu temp was 75°C and fan speed on 1800 rpm.

now im sure that it runs at the lowest possible vcore for 1380 Mhz and the powertarget is still not let it stay there. (PT is around 185w)

<FIX> (for the guys that dont want to read everything) <FIX>

i think because its bouncing up and down between the powerstates, the VRM's just get to hot after a while and cant hold up the vcore.

so i lowered my gpu frequenzy by -3 and let everything else untouched but the powertarget 10%. now it runs stable at 1340 mhz because the -3% also lowers the vcore as long as it stays on auto. the VRM's are not cooled that well on the msi rx 580, thats why this is important.

it seems like the fans are not spinning at the gpu temp only, if the VRM's are geting hot they start to blow very hard.

after the new setup my gpu temp droped down from 75°C to around 68°C in the lobby and the fans are spining around 1700 rpm. (totally fine)

BUT now it comes, if i tab out of pubg, the gpu temp shortly drops to mid 50's °C and goes up again to around 70°C. (the lobbyscreen in background still lets the gpu  run at 100%)

the fans are geting a little bit out of control now and raise up to about 2200 rpm and stay there for a long time. if i tab in again they raise up to 2400 rpm and the gpu temp is already droped to 64°C. it takes a while for them to get down to there 1700 rpm and even if i close the game they are very very slowly going back, even if the gpu temp is already on 45°C. that makes me almost sure the VRM's got a heat problem with the latest drivers pushing the rx 580's to the limits.

hope i can help a bit and maybe if somebody reads amd can check whats going on here.

update: rolled back to an older driver, the 18. drivers seems to be not stable right now, im back to 17.12.1 and for now league runs without crashes.

davejb

Interesting, I've since purchased a Vega 56 and still had massive crashing issues for weeks. I have other posts on here about it. Kept trying everything, RAM timings for the system RAM and kept thinking the issue was settings on the Wattman page. Of course this went on for many months so I must have tried over 10 different drivers. In the end, at least for my two games, it turns out my issue were with conflicting graphics settings (between the AMD driver and and in-game settings). I wish I could remember more details. But both frame rate settings and visual settings on the graphics tab (FRTC, sync, possibly even AA settings). Have now played Mass Effect for many 10's of hours with no crashing. Am also finding that the game profiles don't always seem effective for whatever reason (I'm running a Steam and Origin game) so sometimes before I switch from Mass Effect to NBA 2k17 or vice-versa, I manually change the global driver settings to what's needed - as opposed to trusting the profile to set the correct driver settings.

I'd do a clean re-install of the drivers and start from scratch testing the graphics settings. Start with no enhancements on the graphics tab and work from there. In fact, in both of my games I've found no need to override the in-game settings with the driver settings for things like AA and AF.

davejb

One more update. I believe my issues starting with the 580 through my current Vega RX56 can be narrowed down to two things: incompatible driver/game video settings (this has been sorted out for a while) and Windows 10 updates. Recently, again, I started having the same issues as before. That is, the "Radeon settings host application stopped working" error both while playing and sitting at the desktop and the error that says your video card might have been removed.

It got very bad again just the other day after weeks of stability and I realized the only thing that had changed is the March Win 10 Cumulative update. I uninstalled it, rebooted (then accidentally uninstalled Feb and Jan).... in the end, NO OTHER CHANGES and right away, back to super stable.

I want to share this with all people that are crashing but would rather game - I thought I'd at least post it here.

spiderisk

I've found out that auto driver update from win10 messed up with one I manual installed (Adrenalin Edition 18.3.4). So I turned it off, and now everything has been working just fine since then (for 1 month without crash).