70 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 11:48 PM by phawkins633

amd ryzen 1700 screen freezing

globalitpark

Dear sir,

i have sold the all new AMD RYZEN 1700   to the customer it is getting the problem of screen freezing and ihave send it to the service centre and he says it has no problem and he returned it back, i have checked the PC again it got freeze again.

kindly help me to resolve the problem by tomorrow morning  so i can deliver the product to the customer.

• Re: amd ryzen 1700 screen freezing
          marschall

I have the same issue with Ryzen 1700 in a ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard with 0609 (2017/04/25) bios version.

When it happens the Windows Event Viewer gives me a Kernel Power error (event 41, task 63).

If this is happening with all 1700 processor would it be fixed in a future bios upgrade?

If not, should I contact RMA for replacement?

System is not overclocked, is not overheating and I already changed power source, memory and graphics card  but the problem persists.

AMD people, please help!

gkeawe

I have the Asus Prime B350-Plus as well, with the 0609 bios update, 32GB ( 4x8GB ) G.Skill DDR4-2400 Fortis Series, 400GB Intel PCIe SSD, NVidia GTX1080, intel i210 network adapter, Thermaltake 600Watt PSU. I did encounter the kernel power error before but it's been stable after performing a clean install of the Windows 10 Pro and the updates, the current version is now on version 1703 OS build 15063.250.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  marschall

This is my setup:

• 2x 8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400
                  • Asus Prime B350-Plus - 0609
                  • Radeon HD6670
                  • M.2 Liteon 32GB with Ubuntu
                  • Sata HD 250GB with Windows 10
                  • Mini PCIe Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN
                  • Corsair CX500 PSU

In both Windows and Ubuntu system freezes and after some seconds the Wraith Spire's red LED turns off.

It's quite random, sometimes I'm just browsing the web or watching to some movie.

gkeawe

What are your system specifications? Motherboard, memory, GPU etc. are you using the Wraith Spire Cooler that came with the 1700? Did you perform a BIOS update if available for your motherboard?

gkeawe

I would check to see if the CPU cooler is seated properly. Also I have set  my power plan to Ryzen balanced.

AMD_Ryzen_balanced.jpg

numerique

I have the very same problem. I.e., random freeze (audio remains, but the mouse and the keyboard are inoperable).

Very annoying. Spent days trying to resolve the issue.

Any ideas????

My system is:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
                    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4, (2x 8192 MB)
                    • Intel 1607245 Solid-state Drive 600p Series 512 GB schwarz/grün
                    • Grafik: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
                    • Mainboard: ASUS PRIME B350M (with the bios 2017/04/10 update)
                        luki

Me too, I have random freezes... but I noticed dependence: When I run PassMark PerformanceTest 9.0 (Build 1014) this problem is always. When I run the PerformanceTest, it show message "Collecting CPU Info". When it's showing, my system freezing on a few seconds.

Can you check it on your computer? Maybe we have the same cause of the problem.

EDIT: Ohh... You have ubuntu... Passmark is only for Windows :/ Maybe you can install windows for the test?

My build:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

ASUS X370-PRO

RAM DDR4 Kingston HyperX 8GB 3000Mhz @2400Mhz

Windows 10 Home 64bit Build 1703

gkeawe

I suspect the Radeon HD6670 maybe choking in the configuration, perhaps a GPU with PCIe 3.0 interface and with plenty of GDDR5 memory, 4 - 8GB. Also it might good idea to reconsider your memory selection. I personally use G.Skill memory and find it to be issue free most of the time. They are certified to run on the AMD Ryzen. Look up Fortis Series and FlareX G.Skill memory kits.

angrydwarf

I had random locks up with my 1600x i built yesterday. I was forced to do a clean install as the system didnt like something i was running with the FX8320.

This gave me the original build of Windows 10 i believe there is an update that tried to install that was causing the computer to freeze.

managed to get it a bit more reliable by installing the B350 chipset update from AMD.

Was still freezing when this update tried to install

I was able to get a disc image of windows 10 creators update (version 1703)

installed this over the top of the old one and now looks be be crash free so far

System is

Ryzen 5 1600x

Gigabyte GA-AB350_gaming 3 Motherboard

GTX960 graphics card

Gskill Trident Z F4-2800C15D-16GTZB memory

numerique

I lowered the RAM frequency again (now to 18000 MHz) as suggested by mistered and the situation improved from a freeze in every hour to a freeze in every 3 hours.

I am curious to see if someone manages to solve the issue by changing the RAM model.

My system is:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
                              • RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4, (2x 8192 MB) (lowered again the operating frequency; now to 1800MHz)
                              • Intel 1607245 Solid-state Drive 600p Series 512 GB schwarz/grün
                              • Grafik: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (running on Ubuntu's Nouveau drivers because the NVIDIA ones wont run on my system)
                              • Mainboard: ASUS PRIME B350M (with the bios 2017/04/10 update)
                              • OS: Ubuntu 16.04 (with 4.11 kernel update and using the processor microcode firmware for AMD cpus)
                                  marschall

Sorry for the late response,

Changing the RAM module didn' t exterminate the random freezes in my case also. It takes a lot more time but eventually freezes.

I wonder how many percent of Ryzen 1700 users are suffering from this. I believe AMD should recall this chips. What's the guarantee that these issues will be fixed by a bios update?

numerique

Agreed! AMD should recall these chips. I wasted several weeks trying to debug the issue without success. The BIOS updates and drivers updates kept feeding my hope so I have not returned my computer. Now it is too late, I can no longer return my computer and I am stuck with a piece of hardware which is causing nothing but headaches. 

gkeawe

Just installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit on the Ryzen 7 1700 configuration, Asus Prime B350-Plus 0609 Bios, 32GB G.Skill DDR-2400 Fortis Series, XFX R9 390 8GB, 128GB Toshiba Q Series Pro SATA SSD. I haven't encountered any freezing during or after the installation. The only issue I have is the system has 32GB of memory for which only 16GB is recognized.

Screenshot from 2017-05-21 16-43-18.png

gkeawe

Update: I removed two of the memory modules started Ubuntu again and verified the memory amount at 16GB, I shutdown the system reinstalled the other two modules and restarted system. Ubuntu shows 31.4GB. Also I noticed that in additional drivers, "Do not use the device" was selected  by default during installation, instead of " Using Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPU's from amd64-microcode (proprietary)"

The memory is running at 2400MHz and does not appear to be plagued by freezing. I will reconfigure the system with the XFX RX480 to see if it encounters any freezing.

Screenshot from 2017-05-21 20-03-56.png

Screenshot from 2017-05-21 20-10-05.png

numerique

Thanks for keeping us updated. My system is still freezing every few hours or so.

Screenshot from 2017-05-23 20-01-25.png

I haven't managed to make the NVIDIA drivers work though. So, I am still using the Nouveau drivers...

Screenshot from 2017-05-23 20-06-01.png

abbccc

My system:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
                                              • RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4 — 2x 8Gb
                                              • MSI B350M BAZOOKA SocketAM4, last bios with agesa 1.0.0.6 fixes
                                              • NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 1Gb
                                              • SSD KINGSTON HyperX Savage 240G

It is pretty compatible hardware if look to msi website, but I have same issue - screen freezes,  sound plays and few seconds I can move the mouse. Also I tried different mem frequency and no effect. But I see I have same gpu and nouveau drivers installed.

Did you try to install proprietarity driver from ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa, cause it's behavior looks like X server problem (input devices/video ouput not working, but sound plays(!))?

PS: I have not had time yet to handle this problem cause my system is new and I got it 2 days ago. I wil try to install nvidia drivers and change some bios settings.

entropyfoe

numerique

Are you still having the freezing?

I have the same system, and was getting the locked mouse and keyboard every few hours, with random different work loads, programs running, sometimes coming back after idling . And only the reset switch will get the system back, but while locked, but sound keeps playing ! I have the Ausus Prime 370X Pro board like you, and a MSI GeFOrce 710, fanless 2G video card.

I have the G. Skill  Flare 3200 RAM running at 3200 after updating to the 0805 BIOS.  But still freezing.  Since it is independent of programs or actions, and sound still runs (decoding mp3 musc), I thought the video may be the problem.

I run MX linux (based on debian stable...a great distro).

What fixed it for me so far (now no freezes for 60 hours) was ditching the noveau driver, and installing the proprietary nVidia driver.  That seems to work for me.

If you can't get the driver working under ubuntu, maybe you can try an earlier version of the nVivia driver or consult the ubuntu boards.

Or try MX linux, it has a great community, and the live disk is easy to download and try.  I got the sound to work by switching to the generic audio driver to take the hdmi from being used, and sound works.  See    MX Linux Forum - Index page

cusa123

I have no problem with the ballistix memory, but there is no Linux operating system which can measure temperature without being able to update kernel.

To those who use linux do some version that can help me with a gigabyte?.

* Amd ryzen R7 1700  (wraith spire)

* crucial Ballistix  bls8g4d240fsek 2x8 ddr4 2400 udimm.

* Gigabyte Ax370 gaming 5 aorus

* nvidia gtx 970sc evga

* Psu cooler master gx 750

* Os Linux mint 18.1 (kernel 4.4  Unfortunately I am not able to operate, a kernel.)

The problems I have are only motherboard with respect to drivers waiting for an improvement in esl system kernel.

nubiocicarini

Hello,

I was experiencing a locking problem and blue screen with the error "clock _whatchdog_timeout" on windows 10 with ryzen 7 1700. The processor had high temperatures and high voltages. The problem was solved shortly after successive attempts to install the windows 10 update. It should be some kind of incompatibility between the operating system and the new ryzen processor. At archlinux it worked perfectly first.

rsmaiaa

I am experiencing the same issue this is my setup:

ryzen 1700

asus prime x370 pro

g.skill tridentz 3200mhz c16 (GTZB)

SSD pny 240gb

asus gtx 1080 strix oc

I have installed Windows several times and it didn't fix the issue. Still freezing , mouse still responds for a time. Before it was occurring mostly during web navigation(chrome), now even during gaming and on Davinci Resolve it's freezing. Idk what to do... any fixes or workarounds at this time?  (english is not my main language, sorry )

rebelyell

the last  agesa  1.004a bios would run 3467mhz with a setup he has. we have newer one now. 3600+ is working fine.

step 1 if you have driver 17.6.1 or 17.6.2 in. uninstall that correctly and install an older one like 17.5.2 or  17.4.4 .

2nd you will need to set the SOC voltage to 1.1875 , set cpu to 1.4v set cpu manual and the bclk too 100  set cpu frequency  multi plier to x38 , it will be 3,8ghz  for now.  and whatever the ram voltage is on those bump it up over stock too .05v more. so if they are 1.35 sticks set 1.4 on those. manually put the ram timings in per vendor specs. put ram frequency at 2933 for now , once we get all the other things set we will bump that up to specs. post back . if you can get some pix of bios that be good. still need more info.

drcptr

So guys, any of you have successfully settled the problem? I have spend 1100+K USD on this system and its piece of crap laying in corner.

kap3r0n

I had a ryzen 1700x with PRIME X370-PRO have issues with Corsair Link. Im not sure if it was the usb port or a driver issue, but ever since i disconnected the usb plug and uninstalled Corsair Link i have had no black screen crashes. Also i have a GeForce GTX 980 with version 382.33, and i have the current BIOS as well.

rsmaiaa

What solved my issue was activate maximum performance power mode on windows and update to last bios, that stoped any stuttering and freezing problems I was having

rebelyell

you may find it wasnt actually just corsair. but all of the software reading the sensors is bad. i was suprised i had 3 or 4 reading them and quickly fixed that. it can cause tons of issues. also if you have cpu=z version 1.79 its like a major bugged out problem running borderline clocks and multi gpu's. it also messes with raid driver. i unistalled rog cpuid-z 1.79 problem gone. i tried several all the same 1.79 is a no go....!

mn9design

I have same proplem with 1800x ...when rendering with 3Ds MAX

lolobob

My set up:

1700X

Asus Prime X370-Pro

8GbX2 FlareX 3200 Cas 14 (samsung B-die)

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe for boot drive

MSI GTX1070

Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 750W

I have latest bios and drivers.

I tried memory at stock (bios loads it at 2400mhz) and at 3200, without CPU overclock.

seemingly random screen freeze, audio plays in the background or if I'm rendering images it still goes on, the freeze lasts minutes some times the mouse pointer can respond for a second and re-locks up. then it comes back or if I get tired of waiting I force a restart. I checked the system events it only logs my forced restarts.

Super annoying.

tomato20

Sometimes whole system freezes and not even power button react. Other bug which happens at least once a month, sometimes more often is sudden restart. Everything just resets like a power failure. In restart's case MCE is shown in boot log:

[0.018897] mce: CPU supports 23 MCE banks
                                                                [0.540017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
                                                                [0.540017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 7: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
                                                                [0.540020] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffffa965d8c8 MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
                                                                [0.540026] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1505165669 SOCKET 0 APIC 7 microcode 8001126
                                                                [6.225169] MCE: In-kernel MCE decoding enabled.

Ryzen 1700

Asus Prime B350+

HyperX 2133Mhz 2x8GB

Asus R9 285

Linux homepc 4.12.12-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 10 09:41:14 CEST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

BIOS Information

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 0805

Release Date: 06/20/2017

Address: 0xF0000

Runtime Size: 64 kB

ROM Size: 16 MB

lolobob

Hi,
                                                                  I think I've got my freezing problem squared away, It's been solid for a week from one or two freezes per day.

Probably a lot of us are having RAM related instabilities.
                                                                  - I raised the SOC voltage using an offset to be about 1.1V
                                                                  - A tiny bit more juice for the ram from my default 1.35V to 1.37V.
                                                                  And it's been stable, no freeze.
                                                                  Good tutorial on stabilizing fast RAM - YouTube
                                                                  I hope that could help someone.

cola269

So I've had the same issue. I bought a new PC with an AMD Ryzen. My computer froze after 5-10minutes after turning it on. I was very sad because I've already changed my motherboard due to my reckless "I want to buy in 1 minute", and I've had to change it. I've tried several options and none of them worked from overclocking to down clocking and so on. 2 hours ago I thought to myself what If I'm running an old Windows which leads to freezing. And It's true guys. U got to have the latest Windows and the Ryzen will work as a charm.

That is the only possibility to get rid off the freezing bug. Stop running Windows 10 10240 Version.

silvestre.andre

Same problem here!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS2 (rev. 1.0) Bios version F4

zarkon

I just built a new system out of AMD's Ryzen and I'm having this issue of my screen just randomly going black (monitors go to power save as if there is no signal). The lights on my KB and Mouse go off and the num lock is frozen. The power button on my case will not shut the system down when this happens and if I hold the power button down for 10seconds it will not power off. I have to flip the PSU switch to cut power to it as the rest of the system is still running.

Windows event viewer shows Kernel Power error (event 41, task 63) each time it happens.

My build:

CaseCorsair 750D
                                                                        All swiftech pwm fans: 2 front, 2 bottom, 3 top, 2 rear (gpu).
                                                                        CPUryzen 1700stock
                                                                        CPU COOLERSwiftech h240-x cpu block using silver paste.

Temps idle at 28c full load with prime95 40c

OCCT 3d 32c GPU 43c

Temps measured with amd ryzen master
                                                                        MBasus x370 pro (stock bios 0612) *swapped to crosshair vi hero (bios 1701)bios 1001
                                                                        RAMG. Skill f4-3200c14d-16gfx Slots A2/B2auto @ 2400 cas 16 1.2v
                                                                        16gb ddr4 dual channel. Certified for ryzen.OC @ 3200 cas 14 1.35v
                                                                        GPUGTX 1080 evga hybrid push pull setup rear fan port.
                                                                        PSUPSU corsair AX860
                                                                        SSDBoot drive Samsung EVO 840
                                                                        HDDStorage drive WD black 4tb
                                                                        KBRazer chroma mechanical
                                                                        MouseRazer naga hex
                                                                        MonitorDell ultrasharp 24" 10bit color DP
                                                                        MonitorAsus 24" 144hz 1080p DP
                                                                        Sound outputHDMI from GPU to home theater reciever 5.1
                                                                        Webcamlogitech c310
                                                                        JoysticksUSB CH products combat stick
                                                                        USB CH products throttle
                                                                        USB CH products rudder pedals
                                                                        OSWindows 10 ver 1709 64bit pro
                                                                        amd chipsetAmd chipset driver 17.30 installed
                                                                        Power plan set to amd ryzen special one.
                                                                        Audiorealtek 6.0.1.8158
                                                                        USB1.16.49.1
                                                                        GPU driver388.13
                                                                        Software runningAisuite
                                                                        Firefox 56.0.2
                                                                        task manager cpu panel
                                                                        Ryzen master
                                                                        Avast free 17.7.2314
                                                                        Razer synapse
                                                                        Samsung Magician 5.1

I'm at a loss now about how to fix it and the pc is completely unusable in this state.

I also started out with a g.skill memory set made for z170 systems that was 3200 cas 16 but it would only operate at 2133 and the 3200 setting wouldn't even post even with manually entered settings. I returned it and bought a more expensive set of ram certified for Ryzen. It posts at 3200 cas 14 but I got a black screen while web browsing so I reverted to auto (2400) to try and see if that might fix it.

more info:

system will randomly crash, causes both monitors to switch to power save mode as if signal is lost. System hangs, no numlock, lights on KB and Mouse turn off. Power button does nothing, holding in power button fails to shut it down. System needs a hard restart via shutting off power at the the PSU.
                                                                        Occurs during OCCT gpu test, have not tried to reproduce. Prime 95 ran for 15 minutes ok. Happens while using firefox.

Side note the rgb light for the MB software was not working while I was using the old set of ram. For some reason with the new set of ram it started to function.

Last test: occt GPU 3d with ram set to 2133mhz cas 15 1.2v

System monitors blacked out after about 10 minutes of OCCT gpu 3d set to 1680x1050 144hz mode. This time the lights on my KB/Mouse were still on but system was hard locked again.

Temps were well within reason at about 33c on cpu and 44c on the gpu. Voltages were 1.08 vcore and SOC was around .89

OCCT test with 3200 setting causes the crash in about 3 minutes.

* I read on a different forum that someone had success by removing Samsung magician, and rapid mode (not enabled on my rig) I’ll try that today. Also read not using any temp monitoring software like ryzen master or hwmonitor fixes it. I haven’t verified this but if Samsung magician removal fails to resolve it I’ll try monitoring software off next. I don’t like running heavy load tools with out the monitors but it’s worth a shot to isolate the issue.

Just finished with more tests and removing Samsung magician and not using any temp monitoring software had no effect. System crashed multiple times. It also rebooted once with no warning.

It has increased in frequency and it happens after about 5 minutes of use after the desktop is loaded. I tried loading optimized defaults in the bios.

Lastly I tried reseating the cpu and repasting it to my cpu cooler, temps look fine in the low 30‘s C. I reseated the GPU and reseated the power to the gpu (2 8pin pcie plugs).

Nothing makes a dent. I’m going to fry’s and will attempt to replace the MB. I’ll probably try and get a different model like the rog hero board as it has better electronic components. Sigh.

** 11/10/2017 I bought a new asus crosshair vi hero board and replaced the x370-pro and it seems to have fixed this issue. So far no black screens or hard locks at all. It came with bios 1002 and I updated to 1403 then 1701. The memory is running at 2400mhz and I have not tried any stress tests so far. The new board is the same chipset and only needed a different audio driver and slightly different version of AIsuite.

I will update again if I run into any issues with stress tests or 3200mhz memory. At this point it looks like I had a lemon x370-pro. Also seems that this is a wide spread issue for that particular board. I hope asus will solve this as its a good board if it worked and much cheaper than the crosshair.

workdaywasted

If anyone is still having this issue, I may have the solution for you. By default windows 10 will set the power setting on your cpu to a lower setting, with me this lower setting was causing my first core to load up to 100% while gaming. so i switched the power setting to the high performance mode, and that seem to completely steady out the trends on my threads. I havent had any issue with freezing or locking up since.

zarkon

I had mine set to the profile that comes with the amd chipset drivers. "AMD Ryzen Balanced"

Swapping to a different MB solved my issue. I am now using all the same parts but on a Asus Crosshair VI hero board, even the same install of windows 10. Everything is working now even at 3200mhz memory settings.

I did try using high performance setting and it didn't solve my issue. I'm pretty sure my MB is just damaged in some way. I think the temps on the north bridge seem lower on my crosshair vs the pro but I didn't log them to compare. My PCH idles at 42-45c.

The only issue I ran into was the fan xpert software not liking my arctic cooling f12 pwm fans. It was picking up a full rpms at 0% in the curve so it ended up not having any control of the fans. I had to edit the file manually to get it to function normally.

nguyenbui

Got the same problem on Ryzen 1700x, laggy and hang after few minutes. Thanks to this thread, I figured out it was my mistake to turn off X-AMP on my MSI X370 motherboard. Basically, it was the issue with memory. Took me 4 days and much of frustration, but love AMD now.

ram5687

Hello,

I'm having the same issue.

These are the parts:
                                                                                Asus Prime X370-Pro
                                                                                Ryzen 1700X (not OC)
                                                                                G.Skill 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz (not OC)
                                                                                Asus Strix 1070 (not OC)
                                                                                Windows 10 Pro
                                                                                Version: 1709
                                                                                OS Build: 16299.192

I built this new PC around mid December, everything was going great, but it started to freezing once I booted the PC a couple of days ago.
                                                                                I'm getting the BIOS screen, after that it freezes, I have to reboot it (sometimes I have to turn the PSU off, because the reset botton doesn't work, nor holding the power botton for a few seconds), then I got Windows login screen "incorrect password", even when I was not able to type anything before. I log in and everything works correctly, until I turn it off. Then I have to do all over again, every time I turn on my PC.

I updated to the latest BIOS today. version 3402, before that, it was 3401.
                                                                                I even uninstalled AURA, I thought that was causing the problem. But it seems it wasn't.
                                                                                I'm not sure if this is Windows related or what. Even switched the power option from Performance to Balanced.

Any ideas?

optimizationamdv2

Ryzen Power Plan May Causing Freeze (Windows error 153,129)

Check this thread guys, i have same issue, random hangs for 20 second...

virusultimatum

so i think i figured it out i was getting the freeze after i render on the CPU or do something that require the CPU to have a usage that increase its (USAGE) on Dual Intelligent Processors 5 , the problem is that the processor is 3ghz to 3.7 ghz but (DIP5) bugged and it is not reading this ratio so while working on the PC the pc require more processor speed so the (DIP5) increase as it is set tp auto so it is increased to more than 3.7ghz so it freeze because for the processor you are trying to have more speed more than its limit so it safely stop in order not to be damaged and its read as an unknown error so it give no error message or anything just freeze
                                                                                    for me i manually adjusted from TPU the processor ratio to 3500 mhz and its working good no freeze and i always got freeze at (0.7%-2.9%) while rendering before i manually adjust the ratio but now after i adjusted it to manually and made it to 3500 mhz its working good and no freeze.
                                                                                    hope i was helpful and help you

my set is r71700
                                                                                    x370 prime pro
                                                                                    16 gb ram 2133 ddr4

mrolle

I have the same problem, with some different details.

Please note that there may be a problem with Instruction-Based Sampling (IBS).

My computer is a Ryzen 3 1200.  The postings regarding GPU don't apply to me, since the Ryzen 3 doesn't have one.

My MB is ASUS PRIME B350M-A.

I get the hangup when I am exercising a driver that I wrote for the IBS feature.  It runs on just one core.  I have interrupts masked and the driver operates on a timer polling basis, once every millisecond.  The driver reads the IBS Ops control MSR, sees that there is a sample available, and clears both the Sample and Enable bits in the MSR.  Shortly thereafter (using a deferred procedure call), the driver reads the sample data MSRs, and sets the Enable bit in the control MSR.

From some of the other posts, it seems that there could be an overheating issue.  This makes sense in that if I run the driver under a remote debugger, the program runs quite a bit slower because the driver is sending DbgPrint messages to the debugger, and each message has to wait for an acknowledgment from the debugger over the Ethernet.  So it probably doesn't consume as much power.  I've noticed that the program will run much longer this way than it does without the DbgPrints.

It may also be related to the IBS, because if I remove the writes to the control MSR from the driver, it doesn't hang.  Therefore, I might surmise that when the IBS is enabled and counting, the CPU consumes more power.

I will follow the above suggestions and see what I can learn about my situation.  I'll try reducing the memory clock speed and monitoring system events.

mssracedriver

You could try disabling the cool and quite feature. that cleared this in my event viewer.

hekynn

Try installing the chipset sata controller driver via device manager make sure to select the first controller and choose from which folder amd extracted the chipset drivers during its installation. I was experiencing the same thing earlier today but I did that for my controller and so far no signal loss or hard crashes on Windows 10 today. Hopefully this helps so far its working good for me.

phawkins633

I know this is kind of old, but for the last couple of weeks I have had the same symptoms of aberrant behavior with my Ryzen 1700x system with a B350 Motherboard. After a re-install of windows and NOT installing the driver, there was NO issues. I installed all of the Nvidia drivers, sound, etc, but NOT the AMD Ryzen driver. Not a single problem. NONE. I tried BIOS setting, graphics card settings, etc. Was going crazy. Still looking at the situation, as I want to install the AMD chipset driver, but I can't until I figure out the problem. Hope this helps someone..