4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 11:11 PM by ravewonder

SSD in RAID not supporting TRIM

ravewonder

I have a Ryzen 7 1700X running on a MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON AM4 Motherboard, I have 4 Hard Drives 2 of them are SanDisk SD8SN8U-512G-1122 X400 and I have them in RAID 0 the other 2 are a 4 and 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD. My problem is when I try to run TRIM using Windows 10 defrag utility it performs a defrag not a TRIM, when I use the Sandisk software TRIM is greyed out. I have made sure TRIM is set in Windows 10 to "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" so it is enabled but it performs a defrag not a TRIM. Now I had this same configuration on my i7 6700k system and with the same drive configuration and it did work and in the Sandisk software TRIM was not greyed out. Am I missing something on the initial setup that is preventing TRIM from working properly.

• Re: SSD in RAID not supporting TRIM
          kingfish

This is a good question for savagebeastzero

black_zion

Have you tried the SanDisk SSD Dashboard? Also, modern SSD controllers are extremely intelligent and have native hardware level garbage collection, so unless you are hammering them at an enterprise level, which you shouldn't because these are consumer SSDs, you shouldn't notice a slowdown. Also, have you considered upgrading to a single 1TB NVMe SSD, like the Samsung 950 Evo, or even to a single 1TB SATA SSD, like the Samsung 850 Evo?

ravewonder

SanDisk Dashboard I have already tried if you see in my post the performance and status tabs are greyed out like I said these drives worked perfectly in RAID 0 on my x170 MB the configuration is exactly the same as my Ryzen board and the standard hard drives defragged and the RAID drive trimmed. These drives are new the 1 is 9 months and the second one is only 2 months old. A curious bit is that CPU-Z hangs when it try's to detect storage. I have been looking for some sort of video on setting up AMD RAID it should not be much different that intel's RAID is not something that has changed in a long time. I have no problem redoing the setup since I have not loaded much on the system yet and I keep all my data on my 4TB drive so other that just some settings in the app data folder and a couple of game I copy over redoing the windows install in not going to be an issue.

ravewonder

So it looks like the new AMD chipset driver version 17.10 has solved the problem my SSD's in RAID are now performing a TRIM rather than a defrag.