1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2017 12:57 AM by pchiruma

Ubuntu / AMDGPU-PRO, Eclipse IDE very slow (unusable).

leonmaxx

With any version of AMDGPU-PRO I tried, Eclise IDE works very slow - practically unusable.

1. When you try to type text - characters on screen apper with ~1 second delay.

2. When you try to scroll down text (using keyboard key "arrow down") it can even hang for 5+ seconds.

This problem appears only with AMDGPU-PRO drivers.

With Catalyst 15.12 (latest fglrx) there is no such problem, Eclipse IDE works smooth.

With open source amdgpu driver from Mesa 11.2 there is no such problem.

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350-Plus

2 x 8GB Kingston DDR4-2400

ASUS Radeon R9 Fury 4GB

Driver versions I tried: 16.30, 16.40, 16.60

On Ubuntu 16.04 users have similar problems : AMDGPU-PRO Driver on Ubuntu 16.04: slow typing in Eclipse IDE

Steps to reproduce with Eclipse from Ubuntu repository:

1. Install Eclipse CDT:

sudo apt-get install eclipse-cdt eclipse-egit

2. Create empty file and start typing, You will see a delay between keypress and character appear on screen.

3. Open file with at least 500 lines of text and try to scroll down with arrow-key (press and hold), You will see delays, and if You'll hold key for longer time it can even hang for some time.

Steps to reproduce with latest Eclipse Neon-3:

1. Install Eclipse dependencies:

sudo apt-get install ant ant-optional aspectj default-jdk fastjar jarwrapper junit junit4 libapache-pom-java libasm3-java libaspectj-java libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcommons-beanutils-java libcommons-cli-java libcommons-codec-java libcommons-collections3-java libcommons-compress-java libcommons-dbcp-java libcommons-digester-java libcommons-httpclient-java libcommons-lang-java libcommons-logging-java libcommons-parent-java libcommons-pool-java libdb-java libdb-je-java libdb5.3-java libdb5.3-java-jni libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1:i386 libeasymock-java libecj-java libedit2:i386 libelf1:i386 libepoxy0 libequinox-osgi-java libevdev2 libfelix-bundlerepository-java libfelix-gogo-command-java libfelix-gogo-runtime-java libfelix-gogo-shell-java libfelix-osgi-obr-java libfelix-shell-java libfelix-utils-java libgeronimo-jpa-2.0-spec-java libgeronimo-jta-1.1-spec-java libgeronimo-osgi-support-java libglade2-0 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libhamcrest-java libice-dev libicu4j-4.4-java libicu4j-java libjavaewah-java libjetty8-java libjgit-java libjline-java libjsch-java libjtidy-java libkxml2-java libllvm3.4:i386 libllvm3.8v4 libllvm3.8v4:i386 liblucene2-java libosgi-compendium-java libosgi-core-java libosgi-foundation-ee-java libregexp-java libservlet2.5-java libservlet3.0-java libsm-dev libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni libswt-glx-gtk-3-jni libswt-gnome-gtk-3-jni libswt-gtk-3-java libswt-gtk-3-jni libswt-webkit-gtk-3-jni libswtchart-java libtomcat7-java libxerces2-java libxml-commons-external-java libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java libxt-dev libxz-java openjdk-7-jdk sat4j

2. Install Oracle Java 8:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

3. Download and install latest Eclipse from Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers | Packages

4. Create empty file and start typing, You will see a delay between keypress and character appear on screen.

5. Open file with at least 500 lines of text and try to scroll down with arrow-key (press and hold), You will see delays, and if You'll hold key for longer time it can even hang for some time.

Feel free to ask for any additional information.

BR, Leon.