16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2018 11:17 PM by bolvan

Windows 2016 driver installation

inigoml

Hi everybody.

We are installing Radeon drivers on Windows 2016. We have used Windows 10 x64 driver package.

Card: Sapphire AMD RX 480 8GB

When performing installation, driver installer says that is unable to locate a valid hardware. However, we can install manually via device manager providing a "Have a disk" driver pointing to drivers folder. However, this does not install all required apps (for example control panel).

Any hints?

P.D: On Windows 2012 R2 with Windows 8.1 driver package (x64) there is no problem.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Windows 2016 driver installation
          ray_m

These products are not supported under Windows Server 2016.

The only supported OS's are 64 bit Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

inigoml

Yes, OK, I understand.

However you have to take into consideration that due to licensing restrictions you cannot use desktop OS (Win 10, 8 or 7) to provide accelerated GPU applications remotely. This is a restriction imposed by Microsoft at EULA.

And since Windows 2012 R2 runs perfectly with Windows 8.1 drivers, I don't understand why installer restricts Windows 10 driver installation into Windows Server 2016. It's only a matter to include and extra "case" in installer code flow. In fact, drivers install properly from Device Manager, but not additional apps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                abufrejoval

I've been using ATI graphics products since the 8514/a clones (1990) and AMD processors since the Am486 DX2-80: In all likelihood hundreds of devices for freelance and family use.

I've always tried to keep at least one set of ATI/AMD and Nvidia/Intel around for the last 20 years at least, even when AMD made it harder and harder by producing hardware that simply wasn't competitive against the other two.

But again, and again AMD not only has failed to deliver competitive performance, but it also has a persistent tradition to shoot itself into the foot and unfortunately their customers--including me--with them.

One typical example is this refusal to support Windows server editions on APUs and consumer GPUs. In my home lab I use consumer desktops or workstations to develop and test technical architecture scenarios with all kinds of operating systems. I have drive trays which allow me to swap SSDs in seconds, so I can switch between various flavors of Linux, Windows, Qubes or BSD easily and I have a mix of systems which range from higher end 18-Core Xeons to lower-end Intel/AMD desktops.

Some of them may act as clients in one scenario, but perform double duty as servers or backup-servers in others.

Some of those some-time-servers use AMD APUs, which I used to like when they supported 8 SATA ports and easy PCIe bifurication (dual 2x PCIe x8 cards used to be outrageously expensive with Intel).

Much of my work currently is about machine learning and I am setting up lots of Nvidia Pascal and Volta based systems for my teams to use for training networks with TensorFlow, Keras and other ML stacks.

I can't say that I like CUDA, I think it's too much historical ballast and it doesn't play nice with virtualization.

So today I was seriously thinking about upgrading a Kaveri A10-7850K based system with a Ryzen 2400G in order to get started on AMD's ROCm software stack, when I noticed that my Windows 2016 based backup-file-server was signaling a driver update was in order....

As you might have guessed, updating from 17.12.1 to 18.2 didn't go well. In fact, it consistently told me, that Windows 2016 wasn't "supported on this platform". It didn't consider that I was actually trying to upgrade what was already running.

I am sure glad I didn’t actually order the 2400G yet, nor the 1800X or even a 1950X with a discrete VEGA GPU, because it would have refused to run the Windows server edition I have been running by default on all systems in my home lab since Windows NT 3.51 Terminal Server Edition.

Need I mention, that I do not have this issue with my Nvidia GPUs? Or that all Intel CPUs which have an iGPU will work just fine with server editions of Windows?

AMD, you advertise “no feature cutting” for your hardware, yet refuse to run a fairly standard operating system?

I understand that Windows 2016 driver certification is extra effort and money. As is official support for ECC, encrypted VMs or “ME” features that can be deactivated. But when it comes to do a customer on-site demo, the inability to have the AMD equivalent of my Gigabyte P35X v6 Notebook with an Nvidia GTX 1070 and an Intel Quad-Core i7 running Windows 2016 as well as all the other operating systems I need to support means, that at a time when I’d like to actually push an AMD that is starting to be competitive again, I have to rule it out completely for lack of support.

The beancounters will argue that the number of people who want to run Windows server editions on their non-server hardware is miniscule. Your competition seems to understand somewhat better, that putting obstacles into the path of those who lead the crowds costs more in lost opportunities.

Your Windows 2016 support policy has not only lost you a $300 CPU/MB sale today: It has lost me the ability to evaluate ROCm as an alternative for machine learning and thus suggest to my employer of 100.ooo to consider AMD hardware as alternative to Nvidia/Intel.

I am not going to try again as long as you are replaceing "feature cutting" with "platform cutting".

inigoml

Perhaps I should move question to another forum and reformulate question:

- How do I install manually software components from driver packages in unsupported operating systems (ex: Windows Server 2016)?

Thank you!

ray_m

Unfortunately, the answer I provided is not going to change on any of the AMD forums.

ksva

I have installed Crimson before on Server 2016 despite the install code verification many times with no tricks or workarounds needed, not sure what changed with 17.3.3 or MSUpdate. That said- i'm in the same boat but with a slightly different situation.

GPU(s):

1x MSI AMD RX 480 GAMING 8GB

1x MSI AMD RX 480 GAMING 8GB

CPU:

Intel Xeon E5 2690 V3

MB:

Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1

Windows Server 2016 Standard 64bit  Version 10.0 Build 1439

After attempting to upgrade to Crimson-ReLive-17.3.3 I encountered the exact same issue you are having. All previous versions of Crimson have installed flawlessly for me even while being on an 'unsupported' operating system. I've run DDU in safemode, toggled crossfire on and off through BIOS, tried one card, permissions are not of issue (running everything under administrator since I'm using Serv2016); none of the tricks used in the past experiences with driver are working.

I can't say for sure but either the new Crimson setup is more verbose in how it checks for OS dependencies/reqs, or one of the new Microsoft Updates messed with the build # which isn't allowing AMD installer to run now (ERR 182). Digging around and attempting to install older version of Crimson have resulted in the same error, which makes me think this is more likely a side-effect from an MS update.

Here is a copy of my install log for anyone who is curious[link].

I've been running Server 2016 for the past few months and have successfully installed many version of Crimson, so I am also stuck as to why it doesn't work now.

[Lastly, yes force installing the drivers works just fine but obviously we lose a lot of features/functions necessary for gaming without Crimson]

Let me know if you find a solution.

redfield

Crimson-ReLive-17.5.2 and it still dont work on window server 2016. last driver that work is 17.2.1

Please fix this amd

inigoml

What we had to do is install 17.2.1 and then upgrade AMD driver only (from Device Manager) to 17.5.XX

The problem is not with driver itself. It's with installer procedure that is broken and do not manage Windows Server 2016 as Windows 10, and it should.

I'm afraid that AMD is not going to take this issue into consideration... although putting a programmer to fix this would take no more than one hour... Too sad.

vicsoft

Buenos días, buscando soluciones en este foro para el mismo problema,

decidí realizar la instalación de la ultima versión de Crimson ReLive 17.6.2.

de forma manual. Desde el Administrador de Dispositivos en Win Server 2016. He indicando la ruta de:

C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.6.2-June13\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

Y funciono... logre instalar: AMD Radeon R7 200 en Windows Server 2016.

Espero les sirva. Saludos,

spc

Yes please AMD fix this issue on Windows Server 2016.

I am also doing some GPU computing on Windows Server, but i can't install latest drivers, all older versions of crimson install flawlessly, but newest ones fail.

Just let it install on Windows Server 2016, just like you did with 17.2.1 crimson edition.

If you don't fix this in 3 months, I will NEVER buy any AMD GPU again, because nvidia has no issues installing on server 2016, even if I buy business desktop graphics card for 50€.

I will also only recommend nvidia to friends because some of my friends are also testing server 2016 with GPU accelerated applications.

spc

AMD just released new drivers:

Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.27/27/2017

Which install normally on Windows Server 2016.

Thank you AMD for listening to us.

bolvan

Recent 18.x adrenalin drivers do not install on windows 2016.

They're heavy broken.

I managed to hack the installation. I'll describe how.

1) Boot in driver signature enforcement disable  mode (F8)

2) Unpack driver bundle, look for driver's inf file

3) Replace "10.0.1" => "10.0". This will allow to "Have disk" in device manager. You'll have to "Have disk", otherwise system prefers VGA driver.

4) Install works fine but there's still problem. After installation OpenCL is broken completely, opengl also somehow broken (quake crashes)

5) Re-"Have disk". Run task manager , wait until screen flickers and then KILL drvinst.exe process BEFORE it has finished re-installing. Run opencl-z to check if opencl is working

6) If you want radeon settings then install ccc2_install.exe. It installs fine.

7) For vulkan install VulkanRT.exe

8) MSI afterburner and ntoverdrivetool do not work (ADL api problem). Not sure if they conflict with recent driver bundle or its server issue.