Update: August 2017 .... Windows 10 users > Error 1603 when triying to install 17.8.1 and 17.7.1 (FIXED)
Article Number: GPU-KB1603
This article provides information about Error 1603 when using the AMD Installer to install the AMD software package.
The contents of this article are organized into the following sections:
- Possible Causes
Possible CausesDriver installation errors can be caused by one or a combination of the following problems:
- Corrupted registry keys and/or system files
- Missing critical and/or important Windows updates
- Graphics driver and software conflicts
- False positives reported and blocked by antivirus software
Common driver installation errors can be resolved by applying the troubleshooting steps in the order below.
1. Repair System Registry and Files
Run the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Checker (SFC) tools as Administrator. The DISM and SFC tools scan the integrity of the Windows image and all protected system files replaces corrupted, damaged and incorrect versions.
To run the DISM command use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin). Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" (without quotes) and press Enter. While running DISM you may notice the process will appear to pause at 20%. After a few minutes the operation will continue.
To run the SFC command use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin). Type "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes) and press Enter. For more information on using SFC, please refer to the Microsoft KB: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
2. Update Windows
The AMD Installer requires Windows to be fully updated. Please run Windows Update and apply all available critical and important updates.
3. Resolve driver and software conflicts
Driver cleaning software, such as the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility or Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), can completely remove any existing or damaged driver files and registry entries, thereby allowing a successful installation of the latest AMD driver software package.
For instructions on how to use and download the AMD Clean Uninstall Tool, please visit this page. Display Driver Uninstaller can be downloaded here.
Note! DDU is a third party application. Please refer to the program documentation for more information, it is to be used at your own risk.
4. Antivirus Software and Definitions
Please ensure the antivirus software and definitions are up to date and temporarily disable your antivirus software until the installation of the AMD driver package software is complete.
5. Download and use the latest AMD Installer from the Driver + Download Center. For instructions on how to install the Radeon Software Crimson Edition driver, please see article: How-To Install AMD Radeon™ Software on a Windows® Based System
If you are still unable to resolve Error 1603 after completing the steps outlined above and need further assistance, please contact AMD Customer Care and attach the AMD Installer log file to your service request. The AMD Installer log file is located in C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Log\Installer.log.
IMPORTANT! Follow the steps below when raising a service request for this issue:
- To raise an e-ticket, visit: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form
- Enter "Error 1603" (without quotes) in the Subject field
- Provide as much detail as possible about your issue in the Description field
- Attach the AMD Installer log file to the service request and click Submit