20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 2:19 PM by polarisflyer

fx-9590 startup issue

challanger

i've got an fx9590 and the master maker 8 heat sync to cool it(250w tdp) but when i try to start my pc sometimes it starts then shuts down and starts up again and normal starts then its still set to default of 4.0ghz

if i start and jump strait into bios it is around 25 oC and drops very quickly to around 5 oC before stabilising around 20 oC(1 oC below room temp) and was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this because its also making 1 of my HDD connect with the disc occasional (also bad)

• Re: fx-9590 startup issue
          blazek

What motherboard do you use?

Is this a new build or did this issue never occur before?

savagebeastzero

Hey challanger,

To operate the FX9590 in optimal conditions a motherboard upgrade is definitely required, as the ga-970a-ds3p no matter the revision, simply isn't up to the task. Any of the motherboards listed below would be a sufficient upgrade, but if it's not listed here, it's a no go. There are many motherboard manufacturers that list lower grade 970 motherboards as compatible, but they're not and will lead to many issues from day one. They possess lower grade components that to put it lightly are a danger to your system. So make sure to select one from the list below and you'll be good to go. Also, make sure that you're using a cooler that is capable of sufficiently ensuring that the FX9590 is far below its TjMax at all times for best operation, otherwise throttling will occur and often.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Asus Sabertooth 990FX/R2.0

Asus M5A99FX PRO/R2.0

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional

ASRock 990FX Extreme9

ASRock 990FX Extreme6

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5/R5

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming

MSI 990FXA-GD80/V2

MSI 990FXA-Gaming

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              challanger

anyone know if i can get the CPU fixed/replaced because i think the motherboard may have also caused damage as ive changed teh settings to the point of its withis the max wattage that the board supports and its still having issues

polarisflyer

So... an interesting issue.  I began this project 5 months ago, using the AMD FX-9590 and an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 mobo. (BIOS revision 0212)  I also installed a Samsung 960 EVO M2 SSD and a Corsair Hydro H60 CPU chiller.  Initially, I ran into the exact same issue, with my system mostly NOT posting. Though ASUS informed me that the FX-9590 was NOT supported on the R3.0 (though it does appear on their support site (TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R3.0 CPU / Memory Support| Motherboards | ASUS USA ), I eventually was told that the problem is with insufficient airflow.   After several attempts to reroute the fans and reseat the chiller, it suddenly started to boot consistently!  Wow!  I managed to install Win10, configured drivers for my video card.  It ran for four months without issues!  Last week (after four months of solid operation), the issue returned!  I can no longer post.  When I reset the BIOS (shorting pins 1 and 2 while unplugged, for 10 seconds), it will post but will not allow me to enter BIOS settings... I hate to switch motherboards, due to the investment in the M.2 SSD (none of the above listed boards support this) and the 4 DIMMS of memory (some of the listed boards only supports 2 DIMMS.   I'm up the creek without a paddle!